No announcement yet.

FrankenProbe work log, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start of the rear 2" secondary. I haven't ground the welds yet, but I will before everything goes out for coating.

Turbo position, first mockup - the intercooler is already bolted down via an aluminum bracket welded on the underside and bolted to the frame rail in a couple of OEM holes. Somehow I've lost my starter so I need to find it or another one to make sure the 4" downpipe clears everything.

Somehow, it all fits under the hood....ok, 'fits' is relative, but it is under the hood (minus the intake manifold, of course).

While it looks like there is a ton of room, there are still tons of things that need to go in that limited space - the wastegate and its dump tube, the radiator and fan, and also the coolant lines themselves. Oh yeah, and also the front gearbox mount.
    Last edited by Dan [Sac]; November 7, 2010, 03:29 AM.
    90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
    93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
    97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
    90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

The car is going to look completely different without the FMIC
      ///M-POC
      SENSLES 448whp at 24psi Built by Me, Tuned by SHAODOME

Flyrtle 6 - Best 2nd Gen Probe
      MMX - PRD BEST of Show and 1st Place Unlimited Class
      MM8 - PRD BEST of Show

Comment

This thread delivers...Progress looks awesome Dan, I think I speak for everyone in saying that we cannot wait to see it heading down the track again!
        John Kessler - 'The Original Mayonnaise'
        '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
        '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
        '95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

Comment

I just want to know how one goes about losing a starter!!!

What did it do, fly out during one of your 10 second passes??
          95 PGT MTX - Probezilla - Supercharged 'n Squirted ZE @ 8 psi
          93 FD - LSx 7.0L - 11.6@128.5 (w/ old rotary setup)
          89 DTM PGT - 49K ORIGINAL miles! - MINT! - Sold
          04 Subaru WRX STi - Perrin FMIC, Greddy 3.5" catback, K&N intake - 308AWHP/318AWTQ - Mustang Dyno
          Probezilla & The FD 540 RWHP/415 RWTQ @ 24.5 psi (past rotary setup)

Comment

hmm rear pipe looks like a start should be cool to see when done. i wish i knew just how much better my setup flowed then a ebay turbo kit did o well i guess. thats a big down pipe you got there.altho some of the diesel guys may like that big of a down pipe
            http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2653387.png

Comment

The more boost you run, the bigger your downpipe should be. It's that simple, and also why I'm running a full 4" downpipe/exhaust as well.
              04 Subaru WRX STi - Perrin FMIC, Greddy 3.5" catback, K&N intake - 308AWHP/318AWTQ - Mustang Dyno

Comment

Originally posted by TRWeiss1 View Post
                The more boost you run, the bigger your downpipe should be. It's that simple, and also why I'm running a full 4" downpipe/exhaust as well.
                to a point yes. but if the exhuast is only say about 14"s in my case i dont see the need to go from a 3" turbo out let to a 4" pipe just to get a 5%ish better flow over a foot if they turbo is 3" then i could see a 3.5" pipe or if the turbo is a 3.5" then i could see a 4" pipe but hey what do i know lol alkidding aside wouldnt a biggest pipe also help drop egt's?

Comment

Like I said, it only really comes into play once you start running a SIGNIFICANT amount of boost. Then a larger DP really shines.

Comment

4in downpipe? Big Powa! How much are you really looking to make here?
                    I believe in moderation and that includes moderation.
                    92 Lexus SC300 - 780whp/700tq 36+ psi

Comment

I believe he's going for eleventy billion HP.

Stay tuned.

Comment

I was having some backpressure issues with the 2.5" pipe and stock logs at 20+ psi, so with this guy those issues ought to be gone. It didn't hurt that it was already v-band flanged to match the turbine outlet, so i just grabbed it.
                        90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
                        93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
                        97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE

Comment

Well after trying to make it work with the header 3-bolt flanges, I decided to chop them off. I'll be welding 2" v-band flanges in their place instead and going gasketless (since I had to change the angle of the front flange anyway).

Also got some 4" round tubing to get the downpipe to come around....had to go to a diesel exhaust shop for that goodness. Sometimes it's kind of hilarious 'splainin' why you need 4" u-bends for a Ford Probe

Edit - also forgot to mention I'll be converting to full solid mounts now, unless I find a reason not to. With the intercooler bolted to the frame rail, can't have the engine move too much (not that it was doing much of that anyway). But the left and right side mounts are still stock as is, so those will be 'solidified'.
                          Last edited by Dan [Sac]; July 31, 2010, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Solid mounts FTW

Frankentubes FTW
                            95 mx6 with a 4 lug swap
                            Built, Not Bought.
                            No, my username is Not from that stupid movie.

Comment

yea soild side mounts seem to work great i love mine and i love my turbo kit with my v bands on it. good to know my turbo kit i built back in the day would be up to par with what your building now

Comment

Dan your car is awesome as hell i would love to talk to you since your not far from where i live cause i need some help building a motor for my friends 626

Comment

Working...
                                X