Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodridge SS Brake Lines - Safety Issue, Please read!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodridge SS Brake Lines - Safety Issue, Please read!!

I want to make sure that this gets out to as many of you Probe/MX-6 owners out there as possible. I've had the Goodridge SS brake lines on my 96 PGT for nearly 2 years now with no complaints. That is until last Wednesday. I can't express strongly enough how lucky I was to come out of this one without damage to either myself or my car.

I had to make a sudden stop since a car traveling ahead of me stopped very suddenly due to a stalled vehicle blocking the lane ahead. I think this person was attempting to get one lane over to avoid stopping behind the vehicle and found out at the last minute that she could not and consequently slammed on the brakes...but that's not the important part of this story. I then slammed on my brakes. As I was approaching her vehicle and watching the vehicle behind me attempting to stop, I decided that it was necessary to turn into the curb lining the side of our lane in order to avoid being rear-ended. I did so at the very last second and hit the curb at a slight angle and no more than 5-10mph. The curb had a gradual incline and easily accepted my maneuver without causing my car any harm. We all then waited for traffic to clear in the nearby lane and then proceeded to get around the stalled vehicle. I touched my brakes lightly and realized that the line pressure was low if not non-existent...darn ABS I figured. I waited a couple seconds and same result. I then realized that I had no brakes! I slowly made my way to the nearby gas station and peeked underneath the car. To my amazement (actually I expected it at that point), brake fluid was leaking from the rear of the car.

I wasn't far from home (a mile or so), so I drove slowly and used the parking brake as my only means of braking. When I arrived home, I pulled the driver side rear wheel to find my Goodridge line leaking. The braid had opened up and the hose was split down it's axis approximately 1/2"!! These are DOT approved lines!

It's important to note that I have no mods to the brake system other than the lines, upgraded pads, and upgraded rotors. I will be drafting a letter to Goodridge to alert them of this issue. In the meantime, please reconsider purchasing these hoses. I've since ordered a set of factory replacement hoses.

I'm an engineer for a major automotive company and deal with major hose suppliers as part of my current position. I will be contacting at least one of them for their analysis before I return the hose to Goodridge. I can already tell from my experience that the hose did fail due to pressurization and shows no evidence of chaffing.

Read and heed!

Andy
    96PGT Laser red, tan leather, 5spd, 140k+ on the clock and still looks awesome! Fidanza flywheel, CM Stage I, RR SS Clutch Line, RR Poly inserts, KYB GR2s, Eibach, Cross drilled Zinc washed rotors, SS lines, KVR pads. Chrome Plated 17" Enkei RP05s, Dunlop SP Sport A2s, Borla. Daily driver & keeping the 10 second stang out of poor MI weather.

File a Complaint

Comment

thanks for the headsup, this is one of the mods that i was planning on accomplishing this summer... are you 100% sure it was product failure tho? and in your opinion is this something that could have been specific to just your lines, or do you really think it is something that many ppl need to worry about?

thanks again
      Pictures - Videos
      1993 Mazda RX7, 35R swapped R1

Comment

definately good to know, i would have been screwed if it had happened to me considering my parking brake doesn't even slow me down. i have tried to adjust it but it doesn't seem to help. glad you and the car mad it out ok though
        1993 ford probe GT KLZE with some other stuff......SOLD 9/16/2003

Comment

Originally posted by JHew84
          thanks for the headsup, this is one of the mods that i was planning on accomplishing this summer... are you 100% sure it was product failure tho? and in your opinion is this something that could have been specific to just your lines, or do you really think it is something that many ppl need to worry about?

thanks again
          Can't say if it's a design issue or a manufacturing issue since I don't know the specs on hose dimensions, braid angle, etc. Bottom line is that it was installed as produced from Goodridge and it failed. All I'm saying is that this could have been a bad hose that bypassed their quality control process or it could be like many others out there. Without knowing, I wouldn't take a chance.

PGT Mac - I plan to alert NHTSA. Thanks for the link.

Andy
          96PGT Laser red, tan leather, 5spd, 140k+ on the clock and still looks awesome! Fidanza flywheel, CM Stage I, RR SS Clutch Line, RR Poly inserts, KYB GR2s, Eibach, Cross drilled Zinc washed rotors, SS lines, KVR pads. Chrome Plated 17" Enkei RP05s, Dunlop SP Sport A2s, Borla. Daily driver & keeping the 10 second stang out of poor MI weather.

Comment

THE SAME SHIT HAPPENED TO MY FRIEND!! RITWalter on here, he had the brake lines for maybe 6 months, was on his way back from ohio to upstate NY to RIT where he lives and his brakes quit. He got it to my garage, the car's off, I tell him to step on the brakes to see if I can see it leaking from anywhere, so he does and PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT I hear it from the back of the car, the right rear brake line (Goodrich) did the same thing, the wire braiding broke, and the plastic eventually had given up too. He complained to Rafi at RR-Racing but he didn't do anything about it. So luckily Walter didn't have this happen to him while under any emergency braking, just cruising home and it got bad he said.

It's a bunch of BS that these shitty lines are DOT approved and people are charging so much money for them when they're shit anyway....
            2007 Audi RS4
            Past: '05 Audi S4, '88 626 turbo, '93 red PGT, '94 white PGT, '95 Purple PGT, '95 Red PGT, '00 MGT, '07 Mazdaspeed3
            The mom's car: White on black GTS, 5 speed, tint.

Comment

Edit: I did a search and RITWalter. I couldn't find the thread. So I can't recall if it was RITWalter that posted up about his brake failure. There was post in the Probe pic forum by someone that talked about Goodridge brake line failures and Rafi came back with "installation error" with the Front installed in the back and the back in the front or somethiing like that. I'll search around some more.
              Marc M.
              Black '95 PGT with mods 177.4 whp/159.6 wtq (probably way less now as the car has been partially de-modded)
              2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

IIRC it's impossible to install them on the wrong ends of the car.
                2007 Audi RS4
                Past: '05 Audi S4, '88 626 turbo, '93 red PGT, '94 white PGT, '95 Purple PGT, '95 Red PGT, '00 MGT, '07 Mazdaspeed3

Comment

has anyone heard of this happening with the corksport lines? i am curious if they use the same rubber brake line underneath the steel braid.
                  1996 Boysenberry Probe GT MTXtreme
                  2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
                  2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

Yea it's not there anymore because it got sorta nasty and was deleted.
                    2007 Audi RS4

Comment

Yeah I remember it getting bad at the end. What does he use now (for brake lines)?
                      Marc M.
                      Black '95 PGT with mods 177.4 whp/159.6 wtq (probably way less now as the car has been partially de-modded)
                      2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

3 goodrich and one brand new stock rubber one
                        2007 Audi RS4

Comment

http://www.mx6.com/boardnew/showthre...ght=brake+line

http://www.mx6.com/boardnew/showthre...906#post434906

Just like me...

Comment

I just installed these EXACT SS lines on my car last week... WTF do I do now? I highly doubt tirerack.com is going to take them back based on a third-party unsubstanstiated(for now)complaint.

Forcd: You had these lines on your car for 2 years... are they any confounds that you can think of that could have aggravated their failure?
                            1996 Rio Red MTX Probe GT: Original Owner/GunMetal Grey PowderCoated Swirlies/NGK plugs/Hotshot CAI/Hotshot Headers/Borla Cat-Back with test-pipe/CM Stage II-R/Lightweight FlyWheel/KVR rotors/Greenstuff pads/SS brake lines/Royal Purple Fluids/Eibach springs/Monroe ST struts/Addco rear anti-sway bar with EnergySuspension bushings/Full tints/PIAA fogs

Comment

Wow... this is sorta scary. I think whoever sold these brakes lines to people should send out a notice to everyone to atleast ask them to inspect the lines and make sure there's no sign of failure or fatigue.

Goodrich and after reading that post at mx6.com a big to their customer relations
                              2007 Audi RS4

Comment

Working...
                              X