CZT valve caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CZT valve caps

i think they're called valve caps.. they are the little aluminum inserts that are placed in the center of the HLA divot on top of the valves that CZT sells/sold. Well i have these and have had these for a while and they are supposed to quiet the motor down especially w upgraded cams.. i really dont see a difference in using them or not!

does anybody know if these are even any good to use?
    Black 95 PGT
    Silver 98 CSVT

Yea, they work but they really don't help you until you get over about .35 lift.

I had to use lash caps on my cams because the HLAs ticked a bit without them.

Comment

well ive had them installed since the beginning of last year and i have the colt cams (wild cams).. and they still seem loud
      Black 95 PGT
      Silver 98 CSVT

Comment

Well, only thing that makes your valvetrain loud is collapsed or stuck lifters at that point.

I popped my HLAs out of the lifter bore, drained the oil out of them and reinstalled them when I did my cams, the car was quieter than stock at that point.

You have to have a lifter stuck in the bore and its not taking up the lash anymore or you have a bad friction spring in your cam gear. Both will make loads of noise, but, I guarantee if you didn't have those lash caps you prlly would have thrown a valve by now.

Comment

well ive had the HLAs out of the head prolly 4 or 5 times and i know they arent in their origional bores.. i wonder if this is a problem? Theyve been beaten on and stored for a while on and off, i was contemplating just getting new HLA's since i was thinking this is the problem too. can i just drop the new HLA's in or do they have to be matched to the head?
          Black 95 PGT
          Silver 98 CSVT

Comment

WEll, you need to pull your hlas and check your bores for concentricity, similiar to the way you do it for your cylinder bores, with a bore guage and a caliper.

And, check your lifter bores for scoring or hotspots ie places were its glazed like mirror polished. This will show you some of the bad areas..

Banging your lifters around is generally a bad idea by any stretch. If you drop a lifter, it can and often will go out of round and cause problems..

But, I would first check our the friction gear, change that, and while you are in there maybe at least take lifters from a known good head, pull the lifter in the center, drain the oil, and replace them.. Draining the oil will reset the lifter so it can set to the proper height.

Or buy a new set, but, at the amount they cost its not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by muhafuha
              well ive had the HLAs out of the head prolly 4 or 5 times and i know they arent in their origional bores.. i wonder if this is a problem?
              Mixing up HLA's is nowhere as big a deal as mixing up the valves. My HLA's on my current engine are mixed because there was no way in hell I was disassembling 24 HLA's and soaking in kerosene .... and then having to remember which went where? I don't think so. The top end made no noise for the 10K miles I've had these mixmatched heads. I'm currently putting another set of heads on, and I've already mixed those HLA's up. I just really don't have the time of day to give a damned. But every time I pull the valves out, I make damned sure those go back where they came.

Comment

well Im confident the valves are all assembled and inserted correctly. I ordered new HLA's today since i want everything new on my car anyways :-) and hope thats the problem but i will check the friction gear on the cams .. is there a way to tell the friction gear is bad? it wont retract , correct? I remember messing around with it once before and i was going to take it apart from the cam and look at it but i couldnt get it off! anybody replace these?

ION thanks for ur responses btw
                Last edited by muhafuha; June 8, 2006, 08:42 PM.
                Black 95 PGT
                Silver 98 CSVT

Comment

Working...
                X