Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

ProbeTalk.com Forums > General > Knowledge Base > Product Reviews

Product Reviews Posted reviews and discussion of various products available for the Probe/MX-6.

August 31st, 2011, 07:09 PM   #1
j.trump
Donating Member

: Nov 2007
: Monongahela, PA
: 32
: 580
Quixx High Performance Paint Scratch Remover

While washing my Mustang for the very first time after buying it in June, something stuck to the sponge and caused this scratch:

It was much worse than what the camera picked up. Saying that I was disguested with myself would have been an understatement. I tried Scratch Out, but it didn't help. So, it was looking like a trip to a bodyshop was my only hope.

Fast forward to August 31. I had not done anything to fix the scratch over the past two months. While looking through Walmart's automotive section, I found Quixx High Performance Paint Scratch Remover. Based on my previous experience with Scratch Out, I was skeptical. But, I figured that there was nothing to lose except for the cost of the product if it didn't work since I was planning on getting a shop to fix it originally.

Inside the box is two tubes, two strips of sandpaper, two polishing cloths, and the instructions.

The instruction sheet has a chart that helps the user determine the severity of the scratch. If the scratch is deep enough, the basecoat must be touched up followed by the clearcoat, then a wetsanding with the provided strips must be done before going further.

Since the scratch I intended to repair was less severe, I was able to skip the touchup and wetsanding.

Before starting, I made sure to wash and dry the entire vehicle to minimize chances of further damage.

Then I applied some of the compound from Tube 1 directly to the scratch. Notice how large the scratch was.

Next, I buffed the area with one of the polishing cloths at a 45 degree angle to the scratch. This was done for at least the recommended two minutes with a considerable amount of pressure.

If the scratch is still visible, reapply more compound and buff again until the scratch is gone.

After I was satisfied, I wiped the area with a damp rag to remove any residual compound, then dried the area.

Now apply some compound from Tube 2 to the second cloth and buff the area in a circular motion just as you would with wax until the area shines.

Although not in the instructions, I used a dry soft rag to buff the area to finish the repair.

Here are some photos of the end result:

The scratch is gone completely and there are no remaining traces of the scratch as there was with the Scratch Out. I couldn't be more impressed with Quixx High Performance Paint Scratch Remover. It was around $20, but that was a small price to pay compared to what a shop would charge.

Quixx made a believer out of this skeptic.
2014 Focus S (MTX): Sterling Grey daily

September 1st, 2011, 06:54 AM   #2
JKpgt96
Drives Light Blurple Car

: Aug 2000
: St. Louis, Missouri
: 12,722
Wow...looks good! I might have to try this..

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
'95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

September 1st, 2011, 08:25 PM   #3
93silverGT
Turbo Member

: Jan 2011
: Plainfield, IL
: 27
: 1,561
wow, that seriously is amazing for typical overthecounter scratch remover. Definitely will get me to try it

2009 Mazdaspeed3 GT--> Metro grey metallic, SRI, short shift plate.

December 22nd, 2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Titanium31

: Dec 2013
: Ottawa, Ontario
: 29
: 18
Very nice!

December 22nd, 2013, 07:39 PM   #5
ScottD961
Donating Member

: Apr 2012
: Clarion, PA
: 2,801
Damn ! I just came home from Walmart !

December 23rd, 2013, 09:48 AM   #6
jasons96pgtze
Colt Cams BB Master

: Mar 2008
: Kansas
: 3,005
Ill keep this stuff in mind thanks for the info!

1993 turbocharged pgt daily driver check it out here..

« | »

ProbeTalk.com is not affiliated in any way with the Ford Motor Company, the Mazda Motor Corporation, or any subsidiaries of either company.
All views and opinions expressed on this message board are those of the author and not the owners of ProbeTalk.com.