Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Discussion of Maint Issues for V6

December 8th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #1
physh
Donating User

: Sep 2007
: 183
Ontario PT members some help plz plz plz -Wow my car is about to explode =(

Hey I was just wondering if anyone here might want to help me diagnose a problem I discovered today with my car. After exiting the highway I noticed a super lound rattling noise coming off the tranny part of the car.

I knew since I got the car I had to replace the release bearing but that was it.

I am not sure if its maybe the exhaust header right now. This part was super rusted and may have come loose. I have no way of checking it right now cause I live in a semidetached and there is no space to work on the car as well as I dont really have any tools.

If I take it to a shop they are going to charge me just to give it a look. So yeah if there is anyone with some space and jack and perhaps some experience around this part of the car please let me know. Id really appreciate it.

I live in Milton but will drive anywhere around the GTA, if the car makes it that is. Lunch or dinner its on me or beers? wichever thanks

The banging is super lound I am goign to try to get a video or sound clip. tmrw morining

December 9th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #2
NickR

: Jul 2004
: Chelsea, Quebec, Canada
: 3,127
Does it make the noise when the car is stationary? Or only when moving? Only when going over bumps, or all the time? Does the noise speed up when the car speeds up?

December 9th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #3
physh
Donating User

yeap the noise speeds up as well. I am afraid its soemthing in the transmission and that wouldnt be good cause its soo much trouble. My worst scenario is that someting came loose inside cause the banging is really loud and I can actually feel it while holding the shift knob. yeah its all the same not only over bumps

if the flex pipe part of the car was loose could it cause this kind of stuf or no thanks

December 9th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #4
NickR

: Jul 2004
: Chelsea, Quebec, Canada
: 3,127
To repeat: does it make the noise when the car is stationary (engine running), or only when the car is moving?

If only when moving, what happens when you change down a gear, but increase the rpm to keep the mph constant. Does the noise speed up (it's rpm-related), or does the noise stay at the same speed (it's mph-related)?

If it's mph-related, check the rubber covers on the CV joints are not split.

December 9th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #5
Ryan96se
Juiced Member

: Aug 2003
: Goodview
: 805
Not sure about your area but in mine most of the transmission repair shops will test drive your car and diagnose it to determine if the issue is internal transmission failure or something else. Most of the time that is free. Most tranny shops will do this for you for no charge.

Also use your factory jack in the trunk and lift up the left front of the car. All you need is one socket to pull the check/fill plug out of the tranny and check for metal in your gear oil.

I have had these transmissions completely apart and usually if the sound is internal it means that the primary or secondary shaft drive bearing(s) have come apart (usually on the secondary shaft towards the end of the tranny case) due to the fact that this actually transfers the load to the crown gear. Afterwords you will notice a shifting issue as the shaft full of gears starts to wobble. If you continue to drive it you will tear up your gears and the crown gear inside. At that point you may as well just find yourself a good used MTX.

I assume a MTX because you mentioned release bearing replacement. If your tranny is at fault you should be able to place it in gear with the clutch depressed fully. This will stop everything inside from turning. If its an internal failure the sound will cease. If not then its not your tranny. Could be your clutch plate coming apart etc.

Proud Owner of 2 Senior Probes Here on PT!!!

December 9th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #6
physh
Donating User

Thats a great idea I have to take the car to crappy tire for an oil change so they can also see the car there once its up I guess. I am hoping everythign goes right and I can have a super sweet black 95 PGT I, about to get if all the car loan goes through.

« | »

ProbeTalk.com is not affiliated in any way with the Ford Motor Company, the Mazda Motor Corporation, or any subsidiaries of either company.
All views and opinions expressed on this message board are those of the author and not the owners of ProbeTalk.com.