HELP with '97 KLZE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP with '97 KLZE

I have a '97 pgt that has a klze with DE tb in it. Will not run for the life of me. I had a friend help me install the timing belt this time round just for added assurance. Timing is SPOT IN. Car alsongas new waterpump, timing kit, hydraulic TBT, VC gaskets, IM gaskets, TB gasket, all new vacuum lines, vacuum chambers have been fixed with 3/16" steel brake lines (no leaks). All the vacuum lines, solenoids etc have been look ed at for condition. No cracks or breaks. FPR has been swapped with another oe part and an AFPR. TPS has been swapped from another unit, had a new eBay distributor on it which we combined with the old distributor which had a cracked plate in it. So it is all functional as far as I know. Wondering about the CPS though... CKP tested in the ohm range also. Newer iridium plugs and brand new bosch plug wires. Seems to be plenty of fuel coming into the engine. I had swapped a Pile_of_RD1 maf harness in with a klg8 ecu and kl47 maf with iat. No change in how the vehicle ran on vaf or maf system. Car threw me a maf iat code yesterday though for aome reason so i swapped back. No change. Only things not onstalled are the drive belts and coolant.

The car will start, harder than normal, rev up once or twice and die. Upon lower than 2000 rpms or so the car will begin to misfire and die shortly after. Seems it will run or sounds to be running good if I throttle it. It will wrap out and sounds normal. But when I let off the gas. No bueno. Im lost. Im ready to give up on the car. Only codes are for the egr boost sensor (map) and egr valve.

Car does have the egr removed from the rear head. It was bolted on before just not hooked up. Could this be an issue. I really have no idea what should be hooled up to the '96-'97 klze cars as my last one was a '95... Which the swap was perfect :/
    1997 Probe GT- KLZE, MAF, headers, Forza 2.5" catback, CAI, blaster 3, STS, 626 sway bar, FD fstb, rstb, custom coilovers, Reidspeed bbk, SS lines

Near future: Turbo & fully built trans

Doesn't the lack of coolant mess with the runability of these cars?, I know I've read where low coolant causes the sensor to read air instead of coolant, but doesn't quite seem like it fits here as I believe it's normally an idle problem. I would at least bolt the egr back on, I would think that could be a factor to it. My guess is you've got more than one issue, probably a few tiny factors that add up to no start.

Comment

Yeah im going to fill the coolant and check out that egr port on the rear head. This cars gor me stumped though.
      1997 Probe GT- KLZE, MAF, headers, Forza 2.5" catback, CAI, blaster 3, STS, 626 sway bar, FD fstb, rstb, custom coilovers, Reidspeed bbk, SS lines

Comment

Drive belts on, coolant added. IAC makes the Im buzz... Unpluged it and it stopped. Plug it in and it clicks, unplug it it clicks again? Car seems to tun great if you keep it above 3k rpm and keep giving it gas. 3k or below the engine stumbles, misses and pops a bit. My afpr is also reading 55psi once the starter is engaged. Seems high but I dont think iy would keep the engine from idling. What the heck is going on?

2 codes- P1195 & P1402

Comment

EGR makes no difference. If you dont run it, worst case scenario, you toss a code for it. But it wont effect how it runs as long as its plugged correctly. Otherwise it would be a massive vacuum leak. Which would cause running issues.

If your running a DE TB on a ZE, where did you hook up the vacuum feed for the DE IAC as the ZE doesnt have the provisions for it. If thats not connected correctly, that could be you entire issue as the IAC isnt getting fed.
          PaTricK
          ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

I will post a few pics of the IAC setup when I get a chance. I did rum the car around 1,500rpm for about 2 minutes and the car popped a P0300 and the CEL began to flash. I went over my fpr solenoid and found that has hooked up a bit off. Fixed that. Still has all the codes and running issues.

Monoxide any links to pics or anything what the DE TB should look luke on a ZE?

Comment

Realised I am missing the fuel injector insulators... The rubber/metal washer that goes between the injector nozzle and the manifold. Anyone know where to get these? Im guessing the PO had lost them or threw them out as the IM was off the car when I got it. Fingers crossed this will sole the issue.

Comment

big vacuum leak = not running at idle speeds since it's getting unmetered air because the air isn't passing through the VAF.

mazda dealer can get those or a junkyard from any KL engine....or possibly the 929 as well.
                '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
                '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
                '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

Yep, Ford is a no go and Mazda wanted $10.50 for one brand and $13 for the NOK insulators! It woulda came to $88 after tax and shipping! So I said I was going to go to the JY and pull some... They close 2 hours earlier now, of course. So my last bet for getting it running this weekend is using silicone or a sealing rubber flat washer. If it it dont work ill be headed to the scrap yard Monday. I thibk im so close I can feel it!

Comment

Working...
                  X