Need MS File Saving Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need MS File Saving Help

Okay, I may have done something dumb, I'm not sure yet. So I thought I would post step by step what I did to see what you guys think.

To start, my car was running fine (startup, driving, etc)

I had a front valve cover leak, and decided while I did that, to swap from the straight neck ZE IM w/ bored TB to the stock IM (so I could strip and re-powdercoat the ZE IM and TB) but still drive the car.

So I did the valve covers gaskets and changed to a front valve cover that doesn't have the vent tube. So I ran a filter and hose on the rear valve cover and removed the metal tube from the bottom of the IM (that would have feed air into the rear valve cover) since I wasn't using any of the lines anymore (no VRIS either). I have read that I should put a catch can on the pcv line to the IM, but I have not done that yet. I don't think that missing catch can is my problem, but I'll let you guys toss ideas around.

I installed the stock IM/TB, reconnected everything and went over to fire up the car and got nothing, no cranking, nothing.

I turned on my laptop (which was completely dead, since the car has been running fine and haven't needed the laptop) and once Tunerstudio opened, it said there were differences between the offline tune and the controller and it asked if I wanted to send the changes to the controller.

Now I don't really understand why it would say there were differences, since I had not touched the tune or MS or even the laptop since I had Jordan tune the car a long time ago. Because I didn't want to screw up anything with the tune, I clicked no, don't send the offline changes to the controller.

Why would it say there were differences between the offline tune and the controller? Would the laptop being dead, and I mean dead, zero battery for months, have anything to do with what Tunerstudio had for values/adjustments?

I then went to File>Save As>and made a little backup file. I did this because I never saved the last tune Jordan did (was having laptop issues at the time) and I wanted to make sure that if there were any drivability issues between the good tune (ZE IM/bored TB) and the temporary stock IM/TB that I could save everything and just upload the good tune once I swap the ZE IM back on.

So after that I went to start the car and got nothing, it would even crank, almost like the motor was locked up. I even went out and put a wrench on the crank pulley bolt and rotated the engine around to make sure it was free and it rotates fine.

I am starting to think I overwrote the "good tune" that Jordan had done on the car by going to File>Save As and making what I thought was just a backup file.

Would that process have overwritten the tune on the MS with whatever values were on TunerStudio at the time?

I didn't click "burn" anywhere on Tunerstudio, just made the backup file using File>Save As.

I am stumped because as I said the car started and drove fine before. And I know just changing the valve cover gaskets and IM wouldn't have caused anything in the engine to bind or lock up. So it has got to be something I left off/unplugged or something with the MS.

I'm going to look around in the morning since it was too dark to see if anything was unplugged.

But any input and ideas would be appreciated.

I am just not familiar with MS yet, because I haven't been driving the car regularly. It has been stored in my warehouse and I just start it up and drive it around the neighborhood now and then to keep it running fine.
    '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
    '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

did you disconnect a ground to the engine and forget to reconnect it? It's sounding like a low battery issue or lack of battery power even though voltage might be ok with nothing running.
    '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
    '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
    '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

Yes, but everything is reconnected back in its original spot.

The battery is fine, its an Optima Red Top and its plugged into a Battery Tender.

I'm suspecting a starter issue. So when I have time today I'm going to pull it off and see if that is whats stuck
      '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

It was the starter afterall, in combination with me messing up the tune a little.

Comment

Working...
        X