Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

ProbeTalk.com Forums > General > Probe Lounge

Probe Lounge Discussion about most everything Non Probe related goes here.

February 4th, 2003, 04:54 PM   #1
Snorb93GT
Donating User

: Oct 2000
: Columbia, SC
: 34
: 19,139
Thumbs up Any garbage truck experts?

Anyone know the top speed of a garbage truck?

Stephen is playing GTA:VC and he just stole the Trashmaster garbage truck. He made the comment, "Oh my god this thing is *****in' slow."

So I pointed out that one never sees garbage trucks on the interstate. You see dump trucks, of course, but never really see garabage trucks in high speed situations.

So we were curious...what is the top speed of a common garbage truck?

Garbage is great.

February 4th, 2003, 04:57 PM   #2
CajunCC

: Mar 2000
: Harrisburg, PA
: 37
: 5,684
I would pay good money to see a fully loaded garbage truck on a drag strip. Maybe versus the aforementioned dump truck?

Dump truck.

heh...

dumps like a truck, truck, truck...

heh
word.

February 4th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #3
Bufalo
PT is my life!

: Feb 2000
: Harrisburg, NPA!
: 41
: 14,949
:
Originally posted by CajunCC

dumps like a truck, truck, truck...

heh
word.

FYI: After he made this post, he had the MP3 of "The Thong Song" on repeat for like 10 mintues... I really need to move out...

1990 Probe LX

February 4th, 2003, 05:54 PM   #4
Shomegrown
PT Demi God

: Dec 2000
: DETROIT
: 39
: 7,778
Re: Any garbage truck experts?

:
Originally posted by Snorb93GT
Anyone know the top speed of a garbage truck?

Stephen is playing GTA:VC and he just stole the Trashmaster garbage truck. He made the comment, "Oh my god this thing is *****in' slow."

So I pointed out that one never sees garbage trucks on the interstate. You see dump trucks, of course, but never really see garabage trucks in high speed situations.

So we were curious...what is the top speed of a common garbage truck?

Garbage is great.
Ha ha ha!

Well, as an engineer I know all sorts of useless information about all sorts of vehicles.

For a newer Garbage truck (hypothetically say the McNeilus AutoReach Volvo WX64 Dual-Drive Expeditor) you're probably looking at an unladen weight of just over 32,000 lbs.

Most heavy duty trucks are powered by large turbocharged inline 6 diesel engines, with this one being no exception. The engine choice is up to the buyer.

If the truck is equipped with a 7.3 liter Volvo engine, the output will be a staggering 275 horsepower @ 2200 rpm and a tire melting (if there's a compost fire in the back) 800 ft-lbs of torque at 1200 rpm.

Given a 6 speed Allison automatic transmission, you should expect 0-60 times in the mid 30 second range with a top speed between 65 and 70 mph.

-2001 Audi S4 biturbo
-2004 Audi Allroad biturbo
-2010 VW Routan-1995 Ford Ranger 4x4-

February 4th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #5
Snorb93GT
Donating User

: Oct 2000
: Columbia, SC
: 34
: 19,139
:
Originally posted by Bufalo
FYI: After he made this post, he had the MP3 of "The Thong Song" on repeat for like 10 mintues... I really need to move out...

LMAO. What a dork. He kept talking about dumping like a truck, too. Heh.

Shome, you are the man! Thanks! Your wisdom is greatly appreciated.

February 4th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #6
attack_mx6
Balls Across The Nose

: Aug 2002
: Iraq
: 38
: 18,001
i dunno but a unloaded Greyhound can do a 27 in the 1/4 mile.

February 4th, 2003, 09:42 PM   #7
rendell
Donating Member

: Jun 2000
: Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA
: 3,167
I've always wondered what the terminal velocity of a UPS truck is.

.................................................. ._\ /_
The bump in my hood means I am happy to see you.-../__/ \__\

February 4th, 2003, 09:54 PM   #8
Shomegrown
PT Demi God

:
Originally posted by rendell
I've always wondered what the terminal velocity of a UPS truck is.
Find me drag coefficient and frontal area values...and I can tell you.

-2001 Audi S4 biturbo

February 4th, 2003, 10:05 PM   #9
Silver_Bullit
Five Star Member

: Mar 2002
: Maine, USA
: 4,155
:
Originally posted by Shomegrown

With what for an engine?

~Silver

February 4th, 2003, 10:17 PM   #10
rendell
Donating Member

: Jun 2000
: Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA
: 3,167
:

It'd be much more fun to just drop one out of an airplane, dontcha think?

.................................................. ._\ /_
The bump in my hood means I am happy to see you.-../__/ \__\

February 4th, 2003, 10:33 PM   #11
Shomegrown
PT Demi God

:
Originally posted by rendell
It'd be much more fun to just drop one out of an airplane, dontcha think?
Without a doubt, a hypothesis is made to be tested.

-2001 Audi S4 biturbo

February 5th, 2003, 01:18 AM   #12
H8N_RicE
Juiced Member

: Jun 2001
: Sidney ohio
: 892
my frist dump truck toped out at 68mph with a 8 speed with low low loaded with 16 ton i could only run 60 she was old my 99 sterling ran 85 then the turbo would shut down it was a quad axle same tranny i could get her to move just as fast loaded as unloaded with 23 ton in the bed... faster you go the more you got done and the more u got done was more you got paid

February 5th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #13
Shomegrown
PT Demi God

:
Originally posted by H8N_RicE
my frist dump truck toped out at 68mph with a 8 speed with low low loaded with 16 ton i could only run 60 she was old my 99 sterling ran 85 then the turbo would shut down it was a quad axle same tranny i could get her to move just as fast loaded as unloaded with 23 ton in the bed... faster you go the more you got done and the more u got done was more you got paid
Wow. Think of how long it would take you to stop going 85 with 23 tons of payload...at least 1/2 mile!

Most trucks which see highway duty (dump trucks, semis, etc) have their speed limiters set slightly higher than in-town trucks (garbage trucks, buses, fire trucks etc).

Too bad trucks aren't built like the Mercedes Racing Truck. Yep, that thing is 1200 horsepower, runs over 80 psi of boost, and would likely embarrass nearly every car on this board on a road course.

-2001 Audi S4 biturbo

February 5th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #14
Bufalo
PT is my life!

: Feb 2000
: Harrisburg, NPA!
: 41
: 14,949
Lightbulb

I'd like to extend a huge to those who test the performance capabilities of various commercial vehicles.

1990 Probe LX

February 5th, 2003, 02:06 PM   #15
jello_17602
Five Star Member

: Jan 2001
: Beach Lake, NPA!
: 8,045
Wow 86 mph in a dump truck is pretty quick.
The 28' Ryder truck I was using the other day had a limiter at 66mph. It got to 70 downhill though.

BTW, I noticed last year they had an all diesel event at Englishtown raceway in jersey. The flier showed a 10 wheel Peterbuilt dump truck leaving the lights against a 10 wheel Mack tractor.
11 Toyota Rav4
NPA!

February 5th, 2003, 04:15 PM   #16
Eric95PSE

: Sep 2001
: Columbiana County, Ohio
: 1,158
I've seen dump trucks on the highway before....but then again he was only on it for about 2 miles

Being a trashman would suck

February 5th, 2003, 04:55 PM   #17
93MNGT
Supercharged Member

: Mar 2000
: Fargo ND USA
: 36
: 1,406
Yes stopping a 40 ton semi isnt easy. But the air brakes are amazing and do a great job.

February 5th, 2003, 07:51 PM   #18
Silver_Bullit
Five Star Member

:
Originally posted by 93MNGT
Yes stopping a 40 ton semi isnt easy. But the air brakes are amazing and do a great job.

But remember, those of you that hate listening to a Jake/engine brake on a semi, aprox 70% of the total braking force of a semi is the Jake/engine brake.

Oh and do you mean they stop pretty well, considering they use these brakes:::::::::: http://images.cardomain.com/installs...71_17_full.jpg

I've driven a 50 ton semi @ 85 and lemme tell you it was just getting rolling. The average semi runs in the neiborhood of 35 psi of boost. And also run an average of 375 to 550 hp with 1400 lbs/tq to 2250 lbs/tq.

Oh and one other thing, a general missconception, a loaded semi stops faster (traction dependant) than a deadheading (empty) semi. This is due to the simplicity of the trailer brakes locking up and the trailer hopping. You've all seen the black marks in the road, of a semi locking the tires, small brusts of rubber, about a foot long with a foot or so in between the rubber marks.

Um, as for braking, well one time out on the Mass pike some moron cut us off and we (my bro was driving at the time) went from 72 mph to about 25 in alittle over 200 ft.

Just remember, he weighs about 26+ times that of a probe, so don't do anything stupid around them.

ALSO IF A SEMI SUFFERS FROM BRAKE FADE (THE BRAKE PADS HEAT UP AND WEAR VERY QUICKLY WHEN EXTREME BRAKING IS DONE, LONG DOWNILL BRAKING, ETC..) THE SEMI WILL LOOSE ALL BRAKES, THERE IS NO EMERGENCY BRAKE ON A SEMI LIKE ON A CAR. UNLIKE IN THE MOVIES WHERE THE SEMI DRIVER PUTS THE BRAKE PEDAL TO THE FLOOR AND NOTHING HAPPENS WELL THIS PART IS TRUE, HOWEVER WHEN THE AIR LINES ARE DISSCONNECTED OR CUT FROM THE TRAILER THE BRAKES WILL LOCK UP, NOT BE LOST. iF A SEMI LOOSES BRAKES THERE IS ONLY 1 WAY TO STOP AND THAT IS BY DOWNSHIFTING.

~Silver

February 5th, 2003, 08:57 PM   #19
Shomegrown
PT Demi God

:
Originally posted by Silver_Bullit
But remember, those of you that hate listening to a Jake/engine brake on a semi, aprox 70% of the total braking force of a semi is the Jake/engine brake.

Oh and do you mean they stop pretty well, considering they use these brakes:::::::::: http://images.cardomain.com/installs...71_17_full.jpg

I've driven a 50 ton semi @ 85 and lemme tell you it was just getting rolling. The average semi runs in the neiborhood of 35 psi of boost. And also run an average of 375 to 550 hp with 1400 lbs/tq to 2250 lbs/tq.

Oh and one other thing, a general missconception, a loaded semi stops faster (traction dependant) than a deadheading (empty) semi. This is due to the simplicity of the trailer brakes locking up and the trailer hopping. You've all seen the black marks in the road, of a semi locking the tires, small brusts of rubber, about a foot long with a foot or so in between the rubber marks.

Um, as for braking, well one time out on the Mass pike some moron cut us off and we (my bro was driving at the time) went from 72 mph to about 25 in alittle over 200 ft.

Just remember, he weighs about 26+ times that of a probe, so don't do anything stupid around them.

ALSO IF A SEMI SUFFERS FROM BRAKE FADE (THE BRAKE PADS HEAT UP AND WEAR VERY QUICKLY WHEN EXTREME BRAKING IS DONE, LONG DOWNILL BRAKING, ETC..) THE SEMI WILL LOOSE ALL BRAKES, THERE IS NO EMERGENCY BRAKE ON A SEMI LIKE ON A CAR. UNLIKE IN THE MOVIES WHERE THE SEMI DRIVER PUTS THE BRAKE PEDAL TO THE FLOOR AND NOTHING HAPPENS WELL THIS PART IS TRUE, HOWEVER WHEN THE AIR LINES ARE DISSCONNECTED OR CUT FROM THE TRAILER THE BRAKES WILL LOCK UP, NOT BE LOST. iF A SEMI LOOSES BRAKES THERE IS ONLY 1 WAY TO STOP AND THAT IS BY DOWNSHIFTING.

~Silver
Good information.

As said, a Jake brake (if equipped) can do an enormous job of stopping a semi. For instance, the Cummins Signature 600 engine provides 600 horsepower of drive, and up to 600 horsepower of braking during engine braking. However, this braking energy is only acting on two axles, so its usefulness decreases when traction is less than perfect.

If you went from 72-25 in just 200 feet, your truck must be in great shape and the road must have been sticky. Many trucks would not be able to stop that quickly. You should see some of the 180,000 lbs logging trucks we see up here in the north. Shoddy at best.

-2001 Audi S4 biturbo

February 6th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #20
maverick9614
PT Regular

: Jun 2002
: Probing "T' town" WA like it was noone's buisness!
: 656
I don't know why I had to bring this up, but I did. If you live in the Gig Harbor, WA area, you might have been treated to the spectacular site of a newbie driver standing next to his overladened, overturned dump truck in the middle of the street. It seems he was about to miss a turn and cut it too hard and dumpped lord only knows how much raock and gravel out.

It was quite entertaining!

The Mav

RICE BELONGS ON YOUR PLATE, NOT YOUR CAR!

94 RioRed PGT

February 7th, 2003, 02:41 AM   #21
H8N_RicE
Juiced Member

: Jun 2001
: Sidney ohio
: 892
:
Originally posted by Silver_Bullit

~Silver

and you can always pull the parkin brake its dangerous but it will stop you becuz parkin brakes run on springs.not air.. so as long as u have air in your tanks to release the the springs and can keep in stright u can pull it off...well atleast in a dump truck the trailer thing is alot harder tho... i wouldnt do it doing 80 iv done it doing 40 b4 scared the vejesus out of me but i did it

February 10th, 2003, 08:26 PM   #22
PGT Mac
Turbo Member

: May 2001
: 60
: 1,711
Re: Re: Any garbage truck experts?

:
If the truck is equipped with a 7.3 liter Volvo engine, the output will be a staggering 275 horsepower @ 2200 rpm and a tire melting (if there's a compost fire in the back) 800 ft-lbs of torque at 1200 rpm.

Given a 6 speed Allison automatic transmission, you should expect 0-60 times in the mid 30 second range with a top speed between 65 and 70 mph.
I'm assuming you're quoting from the Car & Driver road test a few years ago? I read it but can't quote it.

I have a hard time imagining a 275hp auto WX having a top speed between 65 & 70 mph. I don't think it'll top 60 at all. I did a project with a 7 litre WG once and I had to have the engine reprogrammed to 300 hp to achieve 60mph in a reasonable distance.

February 10th, 2003, 11:33 PM   #23
Shomegrown
PT Demi God

Re: Re: Re: Any garbage truck experts?

:
Originally posted by PGT Mac
I'm assuming you're quoting from the Car & Driver road test a few years ago? I read it but can't quote it.

I have a hard time imagining a 275hp auto WX having a top speed between 65 & 70 mph. I don't think it'll top 60 at all. I did a project with a 7 litre WG once and I had to have the engine reprogrammed to 300 hp to achieve 60mph in a reasonable distance.
I have read the article, but I'm not quoting it. I don't think they tested the truck from 0-60 if I remember correctly. I'm going off how a similar sized vehicle (ie Sterling dump truck, Pierce fire engine) would perform.

You have to define reasonable distance.

Given about 40 seconds of your foot planted on the floor, I bet you could see 70 mph. (with no head wind).

-2001 Audi S4 biturbo

February 11th, 2003, 04:24 PM   #24
Silver_Bullit
Five Star Member

:
Originally posted by H8N_RicE

and you can always pull the parkin brake its dangerous but it will stop you becuz parkin brakes run on springs.not air.. so as long as u have air in your tanks to release the the springs and can keep in stright u can pull it off...well atleast in a dump truck the trailer thing is alot harder tho... i wouldnt do it doing 80 iv done it doing 40 b4 scared the vejesus out of me but i did it
Only if the brakes are still adjusted to within spec or close to it. If the brakes are worn really bad, for example doing down a 5 mile long hill and riding the brakes, by the bottom the brakes are going to be so far out of adjustment that the shoe prolly won't even be in contact with the drum, and the drum will prolly be cherry red to say the least.

If a truck brakes the wrong way for 3 miles it can burn off a new set of shoes! That is constant brake pressure.

And the parking brakes only use springs because springs can't leak away like air pressure can. It is a constant.

Also about snaping the parking brakes on @40 mph, yes it could be done in a semi, but if you snapped on the trailer brakes along with the tractor brakes you'd almost certianly be looking at a jackknife. If the tractor brakes alone were snapped on then you could prolly stop in a straight line, with some assistance from the trolly brake.

And if you want to do alittle reading on axles/transmissions/brakes for semi's check out this site: http://www.roadranger.com/

Eaton the only tranny to have.

~Silver

February 11th, 2003, 04:46 PM   #25
MX-6 JON
Help me I need a life!

: Aug 2001
: NPA!
: 36
: 10,077
Shomegrown, what magazine was the article on the Volvo garbage truck in?

I remember reading it not too long ago, and for some odd reason, it actually sparked my interest.

I have absolutely no idea why a garbage truck would really interest me, hmm.

« | »

ProbeTalk.com is not affiliated in any way with the Ford Motor Company, the Mazda Motor Corporation, or any subsidiaries of either company.
All views and opinions expressed on this message board are those of the author and not the owners of ProbeTalk.com.