Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!
Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

Notices

2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L Discussion of Maint Issues for V6

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 4th, 2003, 11:17 AM   #1
Cablecam
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: IL
Posts: 22
out of balance tire making thumping noise?

Hey, about 2-3 days ago I'm just driving down the road, with my music off for a change, and I hear a thump thump thump thump as I'm slowing down with my foot not on the break. Them thump noise sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side wheelwell at the time. The thump is heard faster and slower in relation to the speed of my car. SO anyways, at the first acknowledgment of the thump, i thought it might just be the road or something, so I turn off to a different road and it does it again. I got outa my car and checked to see if anything was hanging around my wheelwell, nothing was located. So yesterday I finally noticed after I parked my car at my house that the tire weight was laying on the ground right next to my front right tire, and I don't have a weight on my front right tire right now, so It's out of balance I presume. IS this what's causing the thump sound? If it is, it's a quick fix at the tire shop, but I don't wanna pay for it unless I knomw that's what it is, any help?
Cablecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 11:46 AM   #2
PA_Probe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3,111
most likely a broken belt in your tire.

it will make a thump everytime it goes around.
faster the speed faster the thumps

try running your hand over the tire feeling for bulges on the tread.
__________________
93 Probe GT -198k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SOLD
On the lookout for a cheap PGT.
PA_Probe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #3
blondnirvana
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Hjarbæk, Denmark, Europe
Age: 42
Posts: 231
belt in the tire ?
ehmm how many holes do you allow your tire to have, driving them with 'belts' inside ???
hey, this is not a jeep

---

sometimes tires pick up small stones or things like that, which possibly cause the sound.

the lost weight will more or less effect steering and handling above a specific speed.
You may feel some virbration from the steering wheel.

from my experience i was unable to drive faster than 60 mph cause the lost weight caused such a shaky steering wheel, it was hard to hold it (besides it was a likewise hughe weight i later found missing)

the lost weight could also cause the tire to wear out irregulary, so i would replace that asap
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blondnirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 06:21 PM   #4
PGT Mac
Turbo Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colfax, NC
Age: 56
Posts: 1,711
Quote:
Originally posted by blondnirvana
belt in the tire ?
ehmm how many holes do you allow your tire to have, driving them with 'belts' inside ???
hey, this is not a jeep
All tires have belts, whether you like it or not. The belts are molded inside the rubber and give the tire it's strength. Most tire people call this a "slipped belt" sometimes you can even see the lump in the tire. The Michelin people have a neater name, clevage failure (but you have to say it like you're french), Regardless of what you call it, it's usually a manufacturing defect and the tire store should pro-rate you a new tire.
PGT Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 07:12 PM   #5
K Brice
Five Star Member
 
K Brice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally posted by PGT Mac
All tires have belts, whether you like it or not. The belts are molded inside the rubber and give the tire it's strength. Most tire people call this a "slipped belt" sometimes you can even see the lump in the tire. The Michelin people have a neater name, clevage failure (but you have to say it like you're french), Regardless of what you call it, it's usually a manufacturing defect and the tire store should pro-rate you a new tire.
This is why tires are clasified as "radials" the belts or whatever run in a radial chris cross pattern

I have three sets of nice stock size rubber for sale...............

Brice
K Brice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2003, 11:38 PM   #6
Jeff L
Donating Member
 
Jeff L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Des Moines, IA
Age: 42
Posts: 9,015
Nonetheless, you should at least take it to the tire place and have it checked for balance.

It IS possible for an unbalanced tire to give the same symptoms he's describing.
__________________
redeemed
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:35 AM   #7
Cablecam
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: IL
Posts: 22
thanks all. My friend works at sam's club with me and he works at the TMA dept, and he can prolly do a balance for free, but if it's the belts, I just bought the tires no more than 500 miles ago, so I will have them check it out prolly
Cablecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 04:25 AM   #8
M3FSQ
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 4
yeah i had this same problem before and when i took it to the Costco tire place they said it had a bubble in the tire so it was lopsided and the tire needed to be replaced. They said not to drive the car over 35 or 40 MPH while you have the bump to. I hope this helps
__________________
Stock 93 626 ES Auto
M3FSQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #9
blondnirvana
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Hjarbæk, Denmark, Europe
Age: 42
Posts: 231
i was wrong



aaah -- when i heard belt i was reminded that in my first car, they put an additional kind of 'balloon' in that tire. i was wrong cause i thought belt means exactly that.

belt = outer surface
me = sometimes a lil' stupid

problem solved.. lol



__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blondnirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 04:51 PM   #10
2FastLilBro
PT Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Harrisonville-KC MO
Age: 30
Posts: 550
Re: out of balance tire making thumping noise?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cablecam
Hey, about 2-3 days ago I'm just driving down the road, with my music off for a change, and I hear a thump thump thump thump as I'm slowing down with my foot not on the break. Them thump noise sounds like it's coming from the front drivers side wheelwell at the time. The thump is heard faster and slower in relation to the speed of my car. SO anyways, at the first acknowledgment of the thump, i thought it might just be the road or something, so I turn off to a different road and it does it again. I got outa my car and checked to see if anything was hanging around my wheelwell, nothing was located. So yesterday I finally noticed after I parked my car at my house that the tire weight was laying on the ground right next to my front right tire, and I don't have a weight on my front right tire right now, so It's out of balance I presume. IS this what's causing the thump sound? If it is, it's a quick fix at the tire shop, but I don't wanna pay for it unless I knomw that's what it is, any help?
I was wondering if you ever found out what it was? Mine just started to do this like a week ago..

Thanks

James
__________________
94 Mustang Convertible
89PGT - Sold
2FastLilBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 06:53 PM   #11
zeppelin
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 107
Thump Thump

had the same sound,,,, but when I check I found a flattened possum stuck on the tire.!! all fixed now.
John
zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #12
PGT Mac
Turbo Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colfax, NC
Age: 56
Posts: 1,711
Re: Thump Thump

Quote:
Originally posted by zeppelin
had the same sound,,,, but when I check I found a flattened possum stuck on the tire.!! all fixed now.
John
Hey, did the possum have a head on it? 'Cause I took a possum head out of the dog's mouth the other day and haven't found the rest of it yet.
PGT Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #13
zeppelin
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 107
Possum Thump!

Im in Australia . either it was a big possum or your dog is getting out of a night...!
zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 08:22 PM   #14
PGT Mac
Turbo Member
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Colfax, NC
Age: 56
Posts: 1,711
Re: Possum Thump!

Quote:
Originally posted by zeppelin
Im in Australia . either it was a big possum or your dog is getting out of a night...!
She did smell of salt water!
I noticed your address but thought I'd try anyway.
PGT Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #15
2FastLilBro
PT Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Harrisonville-KC MO
Age: 30
Posts: 550
__________________
94 Mustang Convertible
89PGT - Sold
2FastLilBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ProbeTalk.com is not affiliated in any way with the Ford Motor Company, the Mazda Motor Corporation, or any subsidiaries of either company.
All views and opinions expressed on this message board are those of the author and not the owners of ProbeTalk.com.

Locations of visitors to this page