Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!
Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Tech Section > 1st Gen (89-92) All

Notices

1st Gen (89-92) All Discussion of Maint Issues for 1st Gen (all models)

Old March 29th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #1
itscard0man

hole in flex pipe, make car run bad ?

ok , I was bringing the car out of the drive way and its so low that it scrapped the flex pipe, and when I look at it it seems like alot of the braides in it was cut out maybe there is even holes in it.. when im beside a wall or something and at idle I can hear the exhaust coming from it, so im pretty sure there is a pretty nice hole in it.. im just wondering would the holes cause alot of popping ? and sluggy driving, like say I shift from first to second whenI go into second ( just crusing ) it feels like something is holding the car back for about 1 second or so then it just picks up, ( and I kept my foot on the throttle the same way with out pressing or nothing ). oh and what other probs does a hole in there cause and is there an easy way to fix it ?

1 more thing.. is it normal for our cars that like when u mash on the throttle it doesnt really go anywhere until the turbo start's boosting ?.. because when I step on the gas out of know where say with out making it spool it doesnt really make a diff until the turbo starts boosting..while with my dx as soon as I step on it I felt the torque..
3" cat-back exhaust, APEXi N1 muffler, filled mounts, WALBRO255lph pump,sabb93 fmic, 2.25" IC press bent piping, ,turboxs boostcontroller 15psi stock turbo,MAGNACORE 10mm wires, NGK V-power plugs, over bored .020 over, ported & polished head, double valve springs, SS valves, 5 angle head job, ZombieSS chip...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/cardo
itscard0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 04:26 AM   #2
ProbeGT90R

Re: hole in flex pipe, make car run bad ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscard0man
ok , I was bringing the car out of the drive way and its so low that it scrapped the flex pipe, and when I look at it it seems like alot of the braides in it was cut out maybe there is even holes in it.. when im beside a wall or something and at idle I can hear the exhaust coming from it, so im pretty sure there is a pretty nice hole in it.. im just wondering would the holes cause alot of popping ? and sluggy driving, like say I shift from first to second whenI go into second ( just crusing ) it feels like something is holding the car back for about 1 second or so then it just picks up, ( and I kept my foot on the throttle the same way with out pressing or nothing ). oh and what other probs does a hole in there cause and is there an easy way to fix it ?
well a hole just makes a disruption in the flow and can change things yeah. you would have to get a new flex pipe welded in to fix that, or get a hard pipe put in so that it doesn't happen again. or just cut the exhaust off at the down pipe and freeball it, heh. but that would be really loud.

Quote:
1 more thing.. is it normal for our cars that like when u mash on the throttle it doesnt really go anywhere until the turbo start's boosting ?.. because when I step on the gas out of know where say with out making it spool it doesnt really make a diff until the turbo starts boosting..while with my dx as soon as I step on it I felt the torque..
yeah it's called lag.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

V8 4.7L 4x4 5spd

5spd, new project
ProbeGT90R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #3
turbo2nr

Re: hole in flex pipe, make car run bad ?

i recently had the same problem, my flex pipe had holes in it and the car wasnt preforming to how it should be.. i changed the flexpipe and the throttle response was better for me..
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote