Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!
Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > General > Probe Lounge

Notices

Probe Lounge Discussion about most everything Non Probe related goes here.

Old August 26th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #1
xTSTONEx
Turbo Member

My parents want me to pay them rent to live in the house. EFF THAT!

OK normally I would understand and pay them rent. BUT... my brother has a a fully furnished apartment, which my parents pay for. My parents also pay for his utilities, food, insurance, gas, tuition, his books for college, and cable (internet and TV). Also my brother has NO job.

I HAVE a job, I pay my own insurance, gas, food (I rarely eat my parents food because it is all low carb crap), tuition, books for college etc (I am not complaining about having to pay for all this stuff, I am proud to be able to and wouldn't have it any other way). I've been saving up so I can move out and suddenly my parents want me to start paying them rent which will delay my moving out. Am I out of line and being a baby if I'm a little pissed?

Discuss.
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #2
GTdrver94
Juiced Member

I'd be pissed.
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #3
Black Mage
Supercharged Member

Uhm... move out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #4
xTSTONEx
Turbo Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Mage
Uhm... move out.
Thats the plan.
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #5
Black Mage
Supercharged Member

I mean like now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Black Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #6
Nylie
PT Demi God

Before I moved out of my parents house, they had me give them a small amount of money each month. Little did I know they put that money in a savings account and when I finally did move out, I got it all back, plus interest.

If they are so insistant on you paying rent, ask them what the money will go towards and draft up an agreement in writing outlining certain "rules" each party ought to abide by. I did with my folks, and it worked pretty well.
Nylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:46 AM   #7
attack_mx6
Balls Across The Nose

paying rent its not a big deal.. paying a apartment prices are nothing like compared to paying rent at home.
attack_mx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:47 AM   #8
monkeyarms13
Donating Member

hmm yea i'd move out like yesterday! that's just

'06 Ion Redline
Eaton | Autometer | Recaro | Dunlop
monkeyarms13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #9
charger758
PT Guru

yeah that does suck, did they actually give you a dollar amount, or did they just say you will be paying rent soon?
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #10
chris619
Let Me Get Sniper

Dude, I totally FEEL YOU. You are not in the wrong....I mean, WTF, all sons are treated equally right?

I'm actually going to be living in a big house with a special somone, and my younger brother is moving in with a friend and her sister and my mom is planning on buying herself a nice house in a trailer area (not an actual trailer house but a full house, it's just much cheaper)

Currently I give my mom 400 for rent a month.

Your parents are being very asshole'ish ....

XBL Tag: Jimmy Bags

"I like how strippers try to glamourize their jobs by calling themselves professional dancers"

chris619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #11
Fazdaze
Donating Member

Perhaps your parents have learned a lesson with your brother. My advise. My advise is move out.

Shoulda never sold it

Fazdaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #12
xTSTONEx
Turbo Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazdaze
Perhaps your parents have learned a lesson with your brother. My advise. My advise is move out.
Actually my brother JUST moved out. One of the reasons I am so pissed about it is I got off work and spent a couple days in my brother's apartment and realised how much of a bum he is because he has no job and my parents pay for everything.
Old August 26th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #13
maxxdamigz
Donating Member

Hey, you're 21 - time to get out anyway. I went away for college so I go my first apartment when I was 19. Going to school and working to pay your way is tough but quite doable. My brother still lives at home and has always had a bad case of the stupid/irresponsible. I pay my way, so my brother and sister pay theirs. I consider it fair enough. My brother, though, needs to be kicked out of the house so he'll finally learn though.
Old August 26th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #14
redline5th
PT Demi God

if they paid for all of that...then I'd expect them to do the same for you...

that's not right...

photoPOC
redline5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 11:16 AM   #15
ll0ydbankz93

It's not right for them to make you PAY when your brother is freeloading. That is F'd. Paying rent is one thing, but not if they pay for his apartment.
ll0ydbankz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 11:22 AM   #16
redline5th
PT Demi God

have you talked to you parents at all about it?

photoPOC
redline5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #17
86ZX-Turbo
PT Know it All

Im int he same boat. my sister got her school paid for her and when I turned 18 my parents said opps sorry no money for you...in fact I think you should start paying rent.

so I moved out. my mom begged me to move back in and said I wouldnt have to pay rent, but she wasnt going to pay for my school. *shrug*
Engine: K&N Intake, HKS Exhaust, Poly motor mounts
Suspension: ST front springs, SS rear springs, full poly bushing set and spring seats, BILSTEIN shocks/struts, Cusco front strut brace
The last last letter of the alphabet is also the last word in sports cars: Z
Dyno 5-14-05: 175.17 HP @ 5200rpm & 200.36 Torque @ 3800rpm
86ZX-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:01 PM   #18
DJ-Anakin
pantless jedi

have you talked to them about this?
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #19
katherself
Donating User

Unless your parents are...dead from the neck up, they should see how unfair this is to you. Have you disrespected their authority over you pertaining to living in their house? (ie: Maybe not cleaned your room if they asked, didn't do chores they wanted you to do...etc.) That could be a reason. How are you doing in school? I ask because parents are more prone to pull crap like this if you're doing a bad job. Or, maybe they just want you out of the house

kat

Stock

Borla TW Motorsports
95 Seafoam Green PGT
I
katherself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:16 PM   #20
Scott
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Anakin
have you talked to them about this?

You need to talk to them and find out why you're being treated so differently. Still, you'll like being moved out, I moved out when I was 17 and haven't looked back!

New toy: '06 Mazdaspeed 6
Fun times: '04 CBR 600rr & '06 GSX-R750
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #21
dmark101
Obfuscatory & Abstruse Nomenclature

yup, parents acting 'asshole-ish'.

can't tell you why they're treating you differently than your brother. it's probably best to sit down with your parents and trying to figure out why things are so radically different. there's got to be a reason about it, but try to keep your composure and talk about it with your parents reasonably.

other than that, you either pay the piper or move. pretty much how it's going to be when you actually DO move out.

'discuss'. sounds more like you wanted to rant.
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #22
mfp4073
Turbo Member

Did they give you a reason why they want you to pay, but that they pay for your brother. Normally I would say, pitch in and help with the cost of the roof over your head, but that seems like crap to me. Get a small cheap place. I have had to live with my folks a few times (2-3 months at a time) since I was 18 and HATED it every time. Its expensive, but damn is it nice to be responsible for your own crap.

, 70 mustang mach1 fb,
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #23
Rayman
I make T-shirts for PT!

im sure we're not necessarily getting the whole story here....but i got a few questions:

1) are u redheaded?
2) are u a stepchild?

NCPOC > BAPOC > SCPOC > FlaPOC > MIPOC
Rayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #24
GT~ZE
Donating User

I started a paper route at 11. At which point I paid for everything for myself. I asked for clothes or money for clothes for B-days, and C-mas. @ 15 I was forced to start paying $50 a week to live in my parents house. @17 I beat the shit out of my stepfather due to his disrespect for me for the last time. Then I left...

1995 PGT~ZE (sold)
1993 PGT (sold)
GT~ZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2004, 12:44 PM   #25
LiL90PGTHottie
Donating Member

id move out...why pay rent at home when u can pay for ur own place and have ur own rules and stuff....thats if u can afford it.

"I am guided by a force much greater than luck" - Lucas from Empire Records
LiL90PGTHottie is offline   Reply With Quote