Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!
Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

Go Back   ProbeTalk.com Forums > Photography, Video, Photoshop > Probe Pic & Video Post

Notices

Probe Pic & Video Post Post your PROBE-RELATED pics and Videos here!

Old September 9th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #126
Dan [Sac]
Admiral General

Well then I am in good company

Here is the center console pre-cleanup - the SDS ECU is mounted on the backside of it, since it doesn't require any attention once it's installed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. ||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
- SOLD
93 Probe GT
- 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi ||
||
||
- GONE
97 Probe GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! -
Dan [Sac] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #127
FuLcRuM

I hope you don't leave the mixture knob that rich all the time, you should bump up all your fuel values and move it back to "neutral". If you had to richen it up for any reason you don't have much left.
FuLcRuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #128
polarexpress17
bibliographically epic

looking good dan. I as well have one of those bungs that i will be welding on my oil pan. I agree with you 100% on the reasons that its so much better (and cheaper!)
'93 PGT - Ross pistons, S rods, Quaife LSD, Custom I/M, Precision T-66, NOS wet nitrous 55 shot, meth injection, J&S Safeguard, Nissan 370cc injectors, AEM wideband, full sequential MS3x w/ COPs, Nitto NT555Rs, 3" exhaust, D2 coilovers, 18" Rays Engineering 57 optimise,
2.7l stroker coming back next spring
'11 Chevy Cruze LS - 40mpg.
Built, Not Bought.
No, my username is Not from that stupid movie.
polarexpress17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #129
ShimiShang
Donating User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
Well then I am in good company

Here is the center console pre-cleanup - the SDS ECU is mounted on the backside of it, since it doesn't require any attention once it's installed.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/3d216e87.jpg
CV Axle mod ftw!
ShimiShang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #130
Greg 94 PGT
Donating Member

Quote:
Summit Racing just set a new record! I ordered parts yesterday around 4:30 pm PST, and this morning at 9:30am they were on my doorstep!!! Holy crap, that is nice.

I got some hose for the oil return line, and a few odds and ends.

The holy grail of parts though was the fitting for welding on the oil pan...before, I was looking for a bung to weld on, then a fitting to thread into the bung, etc...

After some searching, I found that Russell makes a steel -10AN male end that's a weld-on part, thus combining everything into one. This way, I just weld that to the oil pan, and thread my -10AN hose end on it and call it a day. No more messing with teflon or other chemicals to prevent leaks.

Best of all, it was only $11 for this part, as opposed to usually $12 for the bung and another $15-20 for the NPT-to-AN fitting.

It's Russell Part# 683720 (summit p/n SUM-683720). They also make this for -8AN line and I *think* for -12AN line.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/14df542f.jpg

Beautiful, one less part I have to research a part number and price for.

Thank You Dan.

'04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?"
379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*
Greg 94 PGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #131
Dan [Sac]
Admiral General

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuLcRuM View Post
I hope you don't leave the mixture knob that rich all the time, you should bump up all your fuel values and move it back to "neutral". If you had to richen it up for any reason you don't have much left.
Ha, I didn't notice that, it should be centered, I think it got bumped during assembly. It's normally dead center as I don't like to mess with remembering where it was.

I will have to be on the dyno to retune due to all the new parts going on it unfortunately (or fortunately, we will see).

As for right now, if you will excuse me, I will retire with a beer or two as the NFL kickoff 2010 is about to be beginning, and I have suffered enough without football since the end of the super bowl until now.

||
- SOLD
93 Probe GT
||
||
- GONE
97 Probe GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! -
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #132
richtq

The only part i like about football is half time. All those sexy girls chealrleading lol. nice job on the car.

No more leaks and running great 270whp 259 torque
8psi
richtq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #133
Ransom
Juiced Member

"FUN" ...classy!
97" PGT
04" RSX Type S A spec
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #134
Dan [Sac]
Admiral General

Today I made the oil return line, and started on the under-engine cradle. I wanted to keep the oil line angled all the way down, so I used a short piece of 30-degree curve pipe I had, and welded that to the oil pan, then welded the male -10AN fitting to the end of the pipe, then made the hose. This way there is a slope to the line all the way up, and it also allowed me to weld the pipe all the way up against the flange of the pan (welded it on the inside of the pan).

Really short on real estate for the line, but somehow it made it through. About 10" of the line are wrapped in XRP Mylar FyreFoil Lite (800*F protection) as it goes within 2" of the hot pipe. I also used this wrap on the rubber lines feeding ice water to the intercooler (last pic).

The ice box is now mounted in the cabin, as is the Bosch Cobra pump that will circulate the water. I think later on this semester I'm going to use my car as a demo in a Thermal Fluid Systems class to calculate the thermal efficiency and pressure loss of the intercooler

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/21674510.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/9a6a862e.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/becf1cc6.jpg

||
- SOLD
93 Probe GT
||
||
- GONE

Last edited by Dan [Sac]; September 15th, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old September 14th, 2010, 12:04 AM   #135
BoostedMan
Donating User

Getting there, nice work on the pan

Marine Mechanic
BoostedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #136
JKpgt96
Drives Light Blurple Car

Quote:
Today I made the oil return line, and started on the under-engine cradle. I wanted to keep the oil line angled all the way down, so I used a short piece of 30-degree curve pipe I had, and welded that to the oil pan, then welded the male -10AN fitting to the end of the pipe, then made the hose. This way there is a slope to the line all the way up, and it also allowed me to weld the pipe all the way up against the flange of the pan (welded it on the inside of the pan).

Really short on real estate for the line, but somehow it made it through. About 10" of the line are wrapped in XRP Mylar FyreFoil Lite (800*F protection) as it goes within 2" of the hot pipe. I also used this wrap on the rubber lines feeding ice water to the intercooler (last pic).

The ice box is now mounted in the cabin, as is the Bosch Cobra pump that will circulate the water. I think later on this semester I'm going to use my car as a demo in a Thermal Fluid Systems class to calculate the thermal efficiency and pressure loss of the intercooler

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/21674510.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/9a6a862e.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/66864f40.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/becf1cc6.jpg
So much awesome..

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
'95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress
JKpgt96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #137
TRWeiss1
Donating Member

- Designed by Jesus, built by Mazda -

89 DTM PGT -
miles! -
- Sold

04 Subaru WRX STi - Perrin FMIC, Greddy 3.5" catback, K&N intake -
- Mustang Dyno

Get Well Joe!
TRWeiss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #138
Dan [Sac]
Admiral General

The uni-member (engine cradle) is done. Looks a bit weird, but given that I'm working without a tube bender, this is the best I could muster. Also works in terms of what it needs to do. The rear transmission mount it only under tension and compression so that gives me good strength there.

The front engine mount (bolts to the block between the oil filter and transaxle) will put some bending stress on the 2 beams that it's mounted on, but given the amount of stiffness in all the other mounts, I'm not worried about it. I will be also boxing the underside of it to serve as a jacking point.

I discarded a full differential brace idea as it would be too time consuming to carry out at this time. I feel that with the AWR stock position transm. mount, the tranny saver, and this new mx-3 style mount bolted to the cradle I will have sufficient movement restraints.

||
- SOLD
93 Probe GT
||
||
- GONE
Old September 15th, 2010, 11:15 PM   #139
artsvetkov

Looks awesome and beefy!

-sold,

12" brakes, ZE, T3/T4 turbo, 2.5" exhaust , ACT 6-puck, MSD6AL+2step, Coilovers, 245/45/17x9 cobra r, 67mm TB, MS II, traction bars, meth inj. and more.
91 Eclipse GSX Auto, snow car.

OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE LOSING
artsvetkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #140
nevin94 PGT
but this amp goes to 11..

Dan, had you considered putting a gusset of some sort underneath the rear mount under that flat piece that the mound is welded to? It just seems like on that thin piece of metal that it would want to "twist" fore and aft.

I'm sure it's plenty strong, but it seems like it wouldn't be a horrible idea to put a couple pieces of metal vertically between the two pipes, and weld it to the flat piece as well.

Looks darn good though!

Are you going to have it powdercoated or painted or anything?
GT DE/ZE hyrbid, too many parts to list
Black
MX-6 GT AWS: T3/T4 turbo, 3" exhaust, big brakes, FD's, K-sports, FD's, plus much more...
Ebony Pearl
Subaru SVX LSi home of: BontragerWerks 22mm RSB #001

Last edited by nevin94 PGT; September 16th, 2010 at 11:16 AM.
nevin94 PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #141
Dan [Sac]
Admiral General

If that 3/16" steel plate has any issues holding up, then I have other problems

The plate only looks thin because I welded up to its surface. The whole thing will be painted black. With about $3-400 in dyno tuning still on the horizon, I am in money saving mode at the moment.

||
- SOLD
93 Probe GT
||
||
- GONE
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #142
FuLcRuM

Quote:
If that 3/16" steel plate has any issues holding up, then I have other problems

The plate only looks thin because I welded up to its surface. The whole thing will be painted black. With about $3-400 in dyno tuning still on the horizon, I am in money saving mode at the moment.
No kidding on the 3/16's, we use that for skid plates on the Jeep and it weighs over 4k, I think you'll be ok.
FuLcRuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2010, 10:39 PM   #143
nevin94 PGT
but this amp goes to 11..

No harm done. Just thought I'd throw out the first thing that came to mind. Knowing the thickness of the material now certainly lays to rest any thoughts of bent pieces.
GT DE/ZE hyrbid, too many parts to list
Black
MX-6 GT AWS: T3/T4 turbo, 3" exhaust, big brakes, FD's, K-sports, FD's, plus much more...
Ebony Pearl
Subaru SVX LSi home of: BontragerWerks 22mm RSB #001
nevin94 PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #144
cityracer
slave to my car

This just keeps getting better and better! I'm also super jealous of your engine datalogging system. lol Honestly it's going to be a great and very useful tool. Especially for a car that is technically not street legal, so every second of tuning and logged info is unbelievably critical. It's just going to be awesome to see in action, in it's new incantation.

;
;
;

the car=once bought.Custom=easy.RaceCar=respected/Earned~as a developed machine from repeated failures & wins & more time spent broken then driving! They are never done once and right as the myth suggests.
cityracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #145
maac0953
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityracer View Post
This just keeps getting better and better! I'm also super jealous of your engine datalogging system. lol Honestly it's going to be a great and very useful tool. Especially for a car that is technically not street legal, so every second of tuning and logged info is unbelievably critical. It's just going to be awesome to see in action, in it's new incantation.
what ever it is sounds like the best thing ever
Old September 18th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #146
cityracer
slave to my car

^ I wasn't saying anything negative. Just acknowledging that when he want to run the car he is limited to track or dyno time only. He has to pay top $$ every time he wants to drive, and even has to tow it there. If you can log every second of your very expensive running time. This is immeasurably useful in the tuning process.

;
;
;

the car=once bought.Custom=easy.RaceCar=respected/Earned~as a developed machine from repeated failures & wins & more time spent broken then driving! They are never done once and right as the myth suggests.
cityracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #147
Dan [Sac]
Admiral General

Haven't done much today, just cleaned the oil pan, painted it, painted the cradle, and stared at it for a while as I can't figure out how to fit front-mounted traction bars. If I were to do those bars, it would be a PRM-style system, which is a direct copy of the best Honda stuff available itself.

By the way, to any of yee interested in doing drag stuff, and you can't figure out something, and you can't find it on PT - go to HondaTech. They are light years ahead of anything we're doing, and chances are that they've already tried doing whatever it is we're trying to figure out. Things like traction bars, parachute mounts, wheelie bars, whatever.

Anywho...back on point - traction bars. My downpipe and hot pipes are too low to allow for a front traction bar. So I might have to do them in the back - which is not that bad.

If I have my power flow figured out correctly, the control arms are being pulled forward (forcing the tires into toe-in) by the slicks as they get rotated by the hubm which in turn gets moved by the axles. So with convention traction bars, the traction arms are in compression.

With rear mounted arms (bolted between the control arms and the chassis), the traction arms would be in tension at full acceleration. Under braking it'd be in compression. Should do the job equally well if all else is equal. Ideally for high powered cars you'd use both (plus solid bushings), but this should hopefully work for me. I don't have a front sway bar so fit shouldn't be horribly bad (I say that now only to weep later, I'm sure).

||
- SOLD
93 Probe GT
||
||
- GONE

Last edited by Dan [Sac]; September 19th, 2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old September 19th, 2010, 05:27 AM   #148
hppwdn
Golden Egg Purveyor

Quote:
By the way, to any of yee interested in doing drag stuff, and you can't figure out something, and you can't find it on PT - go to HondaTech. They are light years ahead of anything we're doing, and chances are that they've already tried doing whatever it is we're trying to figure out. Things like traction bars, parachute mounts, wheelie bars, whatever.
Definitely the best for FWD drag racing info. I read their drag section on a daily basis. Been interested in making one of those weight bars like Miller sells for a long time.

($100 junkyard KLG4)
, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links:

As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
hppwdn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #149
Jarod7920
POC Mod

Quote:

I have been sayin this for some years now. Bash them all you want but they have a wealth of knowledge.
back under the knife (high compression & spray)

93 PGT-T

96 PGT Reacquired, Revived, and Resold
08 Mazdaspeed 3 Allwheel drive 5857..Blah blah blah
Jarod7920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #150
Dan [Sac]
Admiral General

I wanted to chuck the hood sticks I've been using as props for the past forever, so I used a blown hatch strut....and even that thing is stiff enough to damn near break the carbon/glass hood when trying to close it. I have to pull down on the hood-side bracket to make sure the hood won't split when trying to close it.

Maybe I'll try to find an even more blown one

I also got the oil pan silicone'd up. One of my least favorite jobs ever.

||
- SOLD
93 Probe GT
||
||
- GONE