No announcement yet.

FrankenProbe work log, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so i guess your going to heat wrap the down pipe so it dont heat up the cooled air as it passes by the down pipe been only a couple inchs away
    http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2653387.png

Comment

Ceramic coating, *maybe* wrapping the downpipe depending on temps. I'll have to mylar-wrap the starter too, it's half an inch from the exhaust.
      90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
      93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
      97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
      90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

so the coating really works the way they say it dose? i pertty much allways though it was just kinda like the other clams people have made
        http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2653387.png

Comment

Originally posted by lthomas2g View Post
          so the coating really works the way they say it dose? i pertty much allways though it was just kinda like the other clams people have made

I have my exhaust manifold and downpipe ceramic coated. I didn't think it would work as well as it does! It certainly does help keep heat down in the engine bay. I wish I had down the turbine housing as well, as it looks a little out of place now with everything else black in color...
          Jesus is the remedy
          Black '94 GT DE/ZE hyrbid, too many parts to list
          Black '89 MX-6 GT AWS: T3/T4 turbo, 3" exhaust, big brakes, FD's, K-sports, FD's, plus much more...
          Ebony Pearl '95 Subaru SVX LSi home of: BontragerWerks 22mm RSB #001

Comment

If it's properly ceramic coated and baked (inside and out), it does the job. The spray-on stuff you get at the parts stores, I don't know.
            90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
            93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
            97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
              If it's properly ceramic coated and baked (inside and out), it does the job. The spray-on stuff you get at the parts stores, I don't know.
              I agree completely. I wouldn't trust anything out of a can for something like that.

Also, the process wasn't too expensive either. I had a bunch of random parts (VC, IC piping, etc) powder coated, plus the aforementioned parts ceramic coated, and it was still only like $125. Not expensive at all!
              Jesus is the remedy
              Black '94 GT DE/ZE hyrbid, too many parts to list
              Black '89 MX-6 GT AWS: T3/T4 turbo, 3" exhaust, big brakes, FD's, K-sports, FD's, plus much more...
              Ebony Pearl '95 Subaru SVX LSi home of: BontragerWerks 22mm RSB #001

Comment

I finished the radiator pipes (well, just the lower one, for the upper I just used part of the stock hose, a hump connector, and a silicone 'connector' connector (pipe between 2 hoses).

Radiator bolted up too, sitting on the lower support now on a pair of rubber pads and bolted to its little tabs. I need to find a cap for it though, the AFCO rad. I used in the 323 didn't have one so I thieved the Griffin one...now I need one for this one. Summit Racing loves me.

Next up, the water plumbing for the intercooler. Didn't know finding a 90-degree, 3/4"-to-3/4" male thread to barb fitting would be so hard to find. Either $43 each at Summit (I need 2) or $17 each at marine supply places.....since it's just water, I'ma go with the less expensive route this time.

Comment

dan, not only do you do rather innovative work, you take, and post, really good pictures
                  good angles and distances

thumbs up dude

Comment

What kind of welder are you using?
                    -J-Rod-
                    301whp 293wtq 9.5psi 14 degrees back under the knife (high compression & spray)
                    93 PGT-T
                    96 PGT Reacquired, Revived, and Resold
                    08 Mazdaspeed 3 Allwheel drive 5857..Blah blah blah

Comment

Do you have any concerns regarding how that new IC will flow, Dan? At a glance, it appears that air must enter, turn 90 degrees, pass through the IC, then turn 90 degrees to exit.

I know I don't have to tell you, but this will obviously increase air turbulence and IATs, and will drastically slow down velocity. Perhaps it is just the angles of the pictures which make it look that way...
                      95 PGT MTX - Probezilla - Supercharged 'n Squirted ZE @ 8 psi
                      93 FD - LSx 7.0L - 11.6@128.5 (w/ old rotary setup)
                      89 DTM PGT - 49K ORIGINAL miles! - MINT! - Sold
                      04 Subaru WRX STi - Perrin FMIC, Greddy 3.5" catback, K&N intake - 308AWHP/318AWTQ - Mustang Dyno
                      Probezilla & The FD 540 RWHP/415 RWTQ @ 24.5 psi (past rotary setup)

Comment

I wouldnt worry about his intercooler. Honestly, how many turbo systems do you know of that dont take at least one or two turns? Water-to-air ic's are very efficient and the turbo inlet is getting cool air already. Its gonna be chilly by the time it gets in the cylinders.
                        DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
                        94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

Bends/turns are not a problem as long as they flow and are not too sharp. Speaking from personal experience of using an intercooler very much like that, and overheating my side seals thus causing the motor to fail due to scorching hot IATs, I'd say it's a pretty big deal.

Edit :: Oh duh, I totally forgot that this is a water-to-air intercooler. I was thinking it was an air-to-air intercooler. I retract my previous concern. lol
                          Last edited by TRWeiss1; August 27, 2010, 11:05 AM.
                          04 Subaru WRX STi - Perrin FMIC, Greddy 3.5" catback, K&N intake - 308AWHP/318AWTQ - Mustang Dyno

Comment

I hope to get close to 100% efficiency in cooling with the ice water going through the IC. The rapid expansion of the air as it comes out of the compressor outlet into the IC will also help cooling a bit.

The IC was designed for 1200 hp flow, which I think is a bit inflated, but even at 900 hp there is less than half a psi of pressure drop across it. I expect it to be superior to the air-air IC I was using before. Either way, if IACs say I am wrong, I'll be adding meth injection or nitrous to cool things down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
                              I hope to get close to 100% efficiency in cooling with the ice water going through the IC. The rapid expansion of the air as it comes out of the compressor outlet into the IC will also help cooling a bit.

The IC was designed for 1200 hp flow, which I think is a bit inflated, but even at 900 hp there is less than half a psi of pressure drop across it. I expect it to be superior to the air-air IC I was using before. Either way, if IACs say I am wrong, I'll be adding meth injection or nitrous to cool things down.
                              That's pretty damn impressive.

Btw, did you mean IATs?

Comment

Oops, yes, IATs.

Comment

Working...
                                X