PHP Warning: include(/var/www/hostedSites/dmtolentino/forums.probetalk.com/amecache/ameinfo.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in ..../includes/ame_bbcode.php on line 81

PHP Warning: include(/var/www/hostedSites/dmtolentino/forums.probetalk.com/amecache/ameinfo.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in ..../includes/ame_bbcode.php on line 81

PHP Warning: include(): Failed opening '/var/www/hostedSites/dmtolentino/forums.probetalk.com/amecache/ameinfo.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/alt/php71/usr/share/pear') in ..../includes/ame_bbcode.php on line 81

PHP Warning: preg_replace(): Empty regular expression in ..../includes/ame_bbcode.php on line 712
My 1994 Probe GT Restore - ProbeTalk.com Forums
Advertise with ProbeTalk - click here to find out how!

ProbeTalk.com Forums

ProbeTalk.com Forums > Photography, Video, Photoshop > Probe Pic & Video Post

Probe Pic & Video Post Post your PROBE-RELATED pics and Videos here!

March 29th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #1
RedGT
Turbo Member

: Jun 2000
: Norfolk, VA
: 1,945
My 1994 Probe GT Restore

So after taking a Probe hiatus for about 8 years, I got back into the game a few months ago. I had been looking for a cheap candidate to tool around in and came across a 94 PGT locally. It was at some hole-in-the-wall stealership in the back. The guy was a total slimeball, but the deal seemed good. It wasn't running, but the interior and body were in pretty good shape. I ended up paying $400 for it and 2 months of my time dealing with the scheister sales guy because of a title problem.

A good friend of mine let me work on it at his house until we got it running. This is a picture of the day I got it back to his house:

So after checking just about every common Probe problem related to starting, it was determined that the camshaft driving the distributor had snapped and torn up the head to the point of being beyond salvaging. So this led to tearing down the whole top of the engine. While it was all torn up, I had most of the parts sandblasted by my friend so I could paint them. I picked up some rebuilt heads and used cams while I was at it. Here's a pic of the mocked up head assembly (minus the cams):

Thanks to a couple eBay finds and many helpful PT members , I was able to get some decent performance upgrades into the PGT. I picked up some Outlaw spacers, eBay CAI, Hotshot headers (actually a hybrid of eBay headers and Hotshot collector-long story), PRD plug wires, and RR Racing motor mount inserts. This was how the engine bay looked after putting everything back together:

I moved on to the suspension last weekend. I took a chance on some Yonaka coilovers and so far they seem to be a quality product with decent ride quality and adjustability.

I also installed my AWR rear sway with adjustable endlinks and AWR trailing arms that I picked up a while ago. In the front, I put in some new ball joints and tie rod ends while I was in there already. All this adds up to a whole new world of handling in that car. The rear is A LOT more composed and planted than before. Here's how she looks now. I might raise the rear up a little bit to even it out.

Pardon the hella-sunk look on the wheels, I'm still figuring what to do with that. Maybe some FDs? Mmmmmm Hmmmmmm.

The car's going in to a friend's shop this weekend to get the exhaust sorted out next. Whatever cheeseball owned this car before me had some Auto Zone 3A racing muffler on it that is so hack-jobbed into the stock exhaust it's embarrassing. I picked up a Pacesetter/Magnaflow combo from a local guy but it has a curve section cut out of it, so I'm having the shop fab up a nice custom piece to put in. I'll keep the thread updated when that gets done.

I've also got a like-new pair of black synthetic leather racing seats I've gotta get some brackets fabbed up for. And I'm currently contemplating what to go with for brakes. Just OEM or do the Mazda 6/Mazdaspeed Protege combo upgrade? I know this thread is long and probably boring. I should have started it a long time ago and taken way more pictures. Oh well. Thanks to those PT members who have hooked me up with parts and advice in this restoration so far! This site has always been a great network. Let me know what you guys think!
1994 PGT MTX-CAI/STS/Hotshot headers/Vibrant catalytic/Pacesetter-Magnaflow catback/Outlaw spacers/RR inserts/Mazda6 brake upgrade/Yonaka coilovers/AWR trailing arms/AWR rear sway bar/PRD rear STB/95-97 rear end conversion.

2006 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed 6

March 29th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Orangecrushpgt

: Apr 2010
: 853
Needs spacers! Other than that it looks great!

March 29th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #3
richtq

: Feb 2010
: 2,316
looking good man. It needs a nice intercooler in front of it. And im liking that fox body in the pic i sure miss mine so much. And the rims up front needs to come closer to the fender to make it look fuller.

No more leaks and running great 270whp 259 torque

8psi

March 29th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #4
RedGT
Turbo Member

I like the Racing Hart rims but unfortunately I would have to space them out like 40mm to sit flush. Gotta try some other wheel options. Powdercoated swirlies or FDs maybe?

The fox body is my buddy Jon's. Mild upgrades and he just put down 204/251 on the dyno a couple weeks ago.
1994 PGT MTX-CAI/STS/Hotshot headers/Vibrant catalytic/Pacesetter-Magnaflow catback/Outlaw spacers/RR inserts/Mazda6 brake upgrade/Yonaka coilovers/AWR trailing arms/AWR rear sway bar/PRD rear STB/95-97 rear end conversion.

March 29th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #5
RedGT
Turbo Member

Oh yeah, I forgot I have a video of the first start up after putting it back together. The distributor wasn't timed in yet, hence the awful backfiring.

March 29th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #6
siknin
Donating Member

: Jan 2004
: Virginia
: 38
: 3,024
nice job... the car looks good

March 29th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Gt-Addict
BATN, but aka:
magnaflowsystem
Myfast93
kl93419
96kl
killzsrt's

: Aug 2009
: Ohio
: 37
: 4,152
Looks really good man. I would try and get some window tint and put a black hood in there instead! but thats just me though to each their own...

March 29th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #8
RedGT
Turbo Member

Well body work starts soon. I've got everything I need to do the 95-97 rear end conversion including US and euro tails. I'm going to go for silver body with a black roof and A pillars. My buddy did a rough photoshop of what I'm going for.

March 29th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #9
ShexSlow
Donating User

: Aug 2007
: Va Beach/Probetalk
: 31
: 4,030
wait, did you buy this from a dealership in norfolk? was the car parked in the back in the grass with other cars? i seen this same exact car and i was going to buy it. it wouldnt start when i messed with it

94 PGTze - sold

the race car.

KLDE turbo

Built by me ..sold

March 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #10
mtsmb
PT Regular

: Jan 2010
: Lincoln, Nebraska
: 615
Car looks great. Nice work and nice save. Your PS looks like my '93, minus the black top.

Forever in search of Enkei Shoguns.

March 29th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #11
2HIGH PSI
Donating Member

: Sep 2009
: Edmonton
: 27
: 1,330
Looks real good! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Formerly known as CDN Pr0b3

March 30th, 2011, 04:29 AM   #12
visionGT9506
Donating User

: Dec 2006
: New Bedford, MA., MAPOC
: 33
: 2,734
car looks amazing just need some spacers with those mazdaspeed wheels just bring them out a little more

97 PGT - burnt to a crisp and stripped

March 30th, 2011, 05:20 AM   #13
RedGT
Turbo Member

:
wait, did you buy this from a dealership in norfolk? was the car parked in the back in the grass with other cars? i seen this same exact car and i was going to buy it. it wouldnt start when i messed with it
Yup, it was at that crappy used car lot off Military Highway near the airport. The guy was a total douche. Like I said, I had been hoping it would be something easy like a CKP sensor or bad distributor but it turned out to be that the cam was broken and therefore not driving the distributor. You could tell someone had been messing with it before too because it had a brand new looking distributor on it. I also had to clean up the battery wiring somewhat because the chode who owned it before had some hack -ob, big-thumping system wiring in there.

March 30th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #14
Gt-Addict
BATN, but aka:
magnaflowsystem
Myfast93
kl93419
96kl
killzsrt's

You should of photoshop the hood to just to see how it would of looked! just my 2cents thou...

March 30th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #15
TRWeiss1
Donating Member

: Jul 2002
: Squirting all over Binghamton, NY!
: 16,017
Looks great man!

Now you just need the spark plug wire clips, in addition to fixing your wheel offset, and you'll be all set!

-

(w/ old rotary setup)
89 DTM PGT -

miles! -

- Sold

04 Subaru WRX STi - Perrin FMIC, Greddy 3.5" catback, K&N intake -

- Mustang Dyno

(past rotary setup)

March 30th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #16
Gt-Addict
BATN, but aka:
magnaflowsystem
Myfast93
kl93419
96kl
killzsrt's

:
Now you just need the spark plug wire clips.
Funny you mentioned these,because I had a thread in the pic forums a few days back requesting for spark plug wires guides locations. I since then have installed them correctly and the whole engine bay seems to look different now! with the wires tucked in correctly like they should.

March 30th, 2011, 06:29 AM   #17
TRWeiss1
Donating Member

^ Exactly. It's a subtle yet important touch. It just makes the bay look a whole lot more organized!

-

(w/ old rotary setup)
89 DTM PGT -

miles! -

- Sold

- Mustang Dyno

(past rotary setup)

March 30th, 2011, 07:16 AM   #18
Gt-Addict
BATN, but aka:
magnaflowsystem
Myfast93
kl93419
96kl
killzsrt's

:
^ Exactly. It's a subtle yet important touch. It just makes the bay look a whole lot more organized!
Just like this one uh?

March 30th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #19
TRWeiss1
Donating Member

WIN!!

-

(w/ old rotary setup)
89 DTM PGT -

miles! -

- Sold

- Mustang Dyno

(past rotary setup)

March 30th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #20
ShexSlow
Donating User

: Aug 2007
: Va Beach/Probetalk
: 4,030
:
Yup, it was at that crappy used car lot off Military Highway near the airport. The guy was a total douche. Like I said, I had been hoping it would be something easy like a CKP sensor or bad distributor but it turned out to be that the cam was broken and therefore not driving the distributor. You could tell someone had been messing with it before too because it had a brand new looking distributor on it. I also had to clean up the battery wiring somewhat because the chode who owned it before had some hack -ob, big-thumping system wiring in there.
ohhhh!! me and jazper actually went out and messed with it for a little bit trying to get it to start. its in pretty good condition, glad you got it running!

94 PGTze - sold

the race car.

KLDE turbo

Built by me ..sold

March 30th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #21
RedGT
Turbo Member

Yeah I was happy to save it from the salvage yard doom that definitely awaited it. Nobody besides us weird Probe heads would invest this much time and money in a 17 year old Ford.

March 30th, 2011, 08:34 AM   #22
JazRedGT
Junior MODARATER

: May 2008
: 36
: 5,126
Dude that thing is looking tits!! I might give those Yonaka coilovers a try myself!

1993 PGT-DE-T Silver Surfer - 8psi

1995 PGT Daily Driver - D2's - Turbo kit sitting in garage

1997 F-150 - Home Depot Getter

2004 Acura TSX - Wife Mobile

2007 BMW 335i Coupe - My new toy

March 30th, 2011, 08:35 AM   #23
93probeanator
Turbo Member

: Aug 2010
: delaware/south jersey
: 1,683
what color did you use for the vc?

March 30th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #24
RedGT
Turbo Member

Thanks Jasper, she's running that set of DE cams you sold me! You still got any extra swirlies laying around? Trying to figure out some wheel options. I got the Yonakas for $660 shipped, which is cheaper than any decent spring/strut combo I was looking at. The only downside is no dampening adjustability, which is fine for street driving.

Probeanator, I used several coats of VHT Gold engine enamel properly baked on for good chemical resistance and then Dupli Color high-temp clear over that. It's a really durable finish that should last a long time.

March 30th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #25
JazRedGT
Junior MODARATER

: May 2008
: 36
: 5,126
Actually yes I do have a set of swirlies that should be available after this weekend. Im going to keep the tires on them though.

Got a short neck ZE mani also. Dont know if you'd be interested in that.

1993 PGT-DE-T Silver Surfer - 8psi

1995 PGT Daily Driver - D2's - Turbo kit sitting in garage

1997 F-150 - Home Depot Getter

2004 Acura TSX - Wife Mobile

2007 BMW 335i Coupe - My new toy

« | »

ProbeTalk.com is not affiliated in any way with the Ford Motor Company, the Mazda Motor Corporation, or any subsidiaries of either company.
All views and opinions expressed on this message board are those of the author and not the owners of ProbeTalk.com.