94 2.0 put into a 97. Now issues!! Uhg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 2.0 put into a 97. Now issues!! Uhg

Please help.. recently purchased a 97 Ford Probe, that was in the process of an engine swap. the engine is a 94, it turns over and gets fuel,but no spark.. Thinking that since it doesn't have the crank position sensor on it,that may be it ??? Because the 97 harness and brain need it,right ? what do I need to do to get this motor running,in this car ?????
    GREENWENVY

You'll need to swap the oil pump w/mounting hole for the crank sensor, the crank sensor, and the crank pulley with the 36-1 toothed gear on it. Then connect the sensor to your '97 harness and ECU.

I don't recall if the '97 had the cam sensor on the valve cover. If so, you'll need to swap the valve cover, cam gears, and the cam sensor too. But, I don't think that is the case.
    JoBo Racing: https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing
    '93 Mazda 626
    '94 Ford Probe SE

Comment

Originally posted by RacerXR View Post
      You'll need to swap the oil pump w/mounting hole for the crank sensor, the crank sensor, and the crank pulley with the 36-1 toothed gear on it. Then connect the sensor to your '97 harness and ECU.

I don't recall if the '97 had the cam sensor on the valve cover. If so, you'll need to swap the valve cover, cam gears, and the cam sensor too. But, I don't think that is the case.
      this man is correct, yes the probes don't have the cam gear on the VC. I think that is the 98+ version of the engine. You need a new oil pump, and the crank sensor, and the crank tooth as mentioned, is not that big of a deal but kinda of hard to do in the car.
      89 GT, 95 GT 2.0, 96 GT, 90 CRX SI[parted out], 2001 Civic LX

Comment

Thanks guys so more greatly appreciated than you know. Bought this car just after the kid had dropped the 94 engine in it, got it home and then wasn't ever able to reach the kid again. And thought we bought a nightmare, hopefully it won't be that way now. Keep ya all posted on my progress with this one... A big huge thanks again.
        GREENWENVY

Comment

Swapping the oil pumps is a pain. It's doable with the motor in the car. But, it can be a PITA. You will need to drop the upper oil pan tray to get to pump out. There are two 10mm bolts holding the back of that tray hidden inside the transmission bell housing. If you have the standard transmission, there are two sight holes on the bottom edge of the bell housing where it meets the engine block. I don't know if the auto transmission has these holes. If not, you'll have to unbolt the transmission and move it back far enough to get a socket on those bolts.
          JoBo Racing: https://www.facebook.com/JoBoRacing
          '93 Mazda 626
          '94 Ford Probe SE

Comment

Working...
          X

Debug Information