transmission swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission swap

I'm about to buy a 95 2.0 probe. An I have a 94. Was wondering if my trans will match since the 95 is odb2? 5th gear is out on the 95. Thanks in advance
    Ford probe4banger
    Vw gti
    Kawi zx6e

I have a 95 and it is not OBD2. I really didn't think they moved to OBD2 until 96. Anyway, I think it will work fine, you just use your sensors. If i remember right when i swapped my trans i got it out of a OBD2 96 for my OBD1 95. I'm not 100% on this though so we'll have to wait for a pro to chime in.

Comment

Curious as well, AFAIK there are no differenced on the trans between OBD 1-2.

Many 95's were OBDII, Millennias, Subarus, other cars... I'd imagine to get a jump on the changes in production needed to facilitate it.
      Ryan
      '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
      SMF Prep:
      MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

Maybe you should specify if the car is an auto or manual
        1995 Probe GT. Colt 218* cams, Tein SS Coilovers with EDFC, K6F trailing arms, CZT traction bars, ZE Intake Manifold, Milly MAF/OBDII swap, GReddy SP1, Probe Addiction Strut braces, RX8 Seats, PRD STS, PRD door sills, ACT 6puck, MFactory LSD,Built trans, Euro tails and corners, Walbro 255, and more to come
        Stage 3 Audi S4 pushing about 425awhp

Comment

If your car is a manual and im assuming it is because you said you have a 5th gear then you can simply swap the 5th gear from your other manual transmission to the 95 probe you are buying. No need to swap the whole trans if that is the case. The 5th and reverse gears in our manual transmissions are located just right inside of the side pan that's closest to your drivers side wheel. Ive done it before, you just pop the pan off, bust your nut loose that is holding the gears on, slide the whole 5th gear off including the syncros, and then replace everything you took off with the good parts, seal it up and your good to go.
          Last edited by jasons96pgtze; March 25, 2016, 11:25 AM.
          1995 turbocharged pgt with countless mods.. check it out here
          http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20602
          1993 turbocharged pgt daily driver check it out here..
          http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20602/73905

Comment

Just buy an MSP trans lol
            1995 Probe GT. Colt 218* cams, Tein SS Coilovers with EDFC, K6F trailing arms, CZT traction bars, ZE Intake Manifold, Milly MAF/OBDII swap, GReddy SP1, Probe Addiction Strut braces, RX8 Seats, PRD STS, PRD door sills, ACT 6puck, MFactory LSD,Built trans, Euro tails and corners, Walbro 255, and more to come
            Stage 3 Audi S4 pushing about 425awhp

Comment

^
              Unnaturally Aspirated and Squirted Ford Probe
              Evo16g,Hybrid Custom Manifold,P&P,3angle VJ, and Milled Head, Oliver Billet rods,Wiesco 9:1 forged pistons,Apexi AVCR, 440cc injectors,Walbro 255hp,TypeRS Bov,Atx->Mtx,2.5 DP & MES Catback,RR-Sts,CM 2-R clutch, AWR Rad & Pan,Megasquirt2pcb3, maf delete/coilpack conversion

Comment

You are talking about a mazdaspeed protégé 5 speed lsd trans correct? While it would be nice to have one trust me it may not be easy to find one. I actually own a spicey orange mazdaspeed protégé now and finding spare trans, ecu etc etc has been a little hard. It seems like the owner is just trying to get his car is good running condition again. Swapping the 5th gear from one trans to another would be the easiest and most affordable option for him at this time.
                1995 turbocharged pgt with countless mods.. check it out here
                http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20602
                1993 turbocharged pgt daily driver check it out here..
                http://www.supermotors.net/registry/20602/73905

Comment

Sorry i got back so late in raponse.

I was thanking that but wasn't sure. That if anything I'll just have to change the sensor even if it was odb2 and the only difference if anything changed would be to change the sensor in the trans. Yeah its a manual both of them are. The plan since its only simple stuff wrong with the 95 I was going to make 2 into one and takebstuff off my 94 to keep.
                  Last edited by bldrunrblkout; April 1, 2016, 07:05 AM.
                  Ford probe4banger
                  Vw gti
                  Kawi zx6e

Comment

Changing the gear sounds simple enough. if I do it that way I may just go to junk yard an take a tand apart. An save the other one for if something really wrong go with the one in the 95. An the reason I was thanking to use my 94 for parts is the fact of everything that has to be done to it
                    Ford probe4banger
                    Vw gti
                    Kawi zx6e

Comment

Working...
                    X