Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need test equipment Rotunda 007-00033

Short version-
    Was told by dealer to diagnose problem they need the break out box and don't have one.

Long version-
    '94 Probe GT just quit while driving (pristine 96k miles). No chugging or lurching, just like key was turned off. Turns over but won't start.
    Suspected Camshaft Position Sensor which didn't fix problem.
    No other codes to go by. Nearby mechanics wouldn't touch that age of car so took it to dealer where I bought it.
    They've looked for the diagnostic tool and come up empty. I've looked on eBay and others with no luck.

The alternative they say is to troubleshoot at a very expensive hourly rate.
    Any suggestions welcome.

My mx3 did the same thing. It was the distributor

Comment

I agree. The Crankshaft Position Sensor is the likely culprit and is contained within it.

Or, more specifically:
      1. Check the powers and grounds to the distributor. At the three pin connector, check for battery voltage at pin 3 Black/Pink (BK/PK), Key On Engine Off and cranking. On the 6 pin connector, check pin 2 Red/Black (R/BK) for battery voltage, Key On Engine Off and cranking. Also on the 6 pin connector, check pins 1 and 5 Black/Red (BK/R) for good grounds.

2. If the powers and grounds are OK, check the voltage on pin 6 Blue/Orange (BL/OG) for roughly 0.75v-1.0v DC when cranking. If all wires show the correct readings, but there is no spark out of the coil tower inside the distributor, replace the distributor.
      Last edited by LightningPGT; November 5, 2020, 11:28 AM.

1989 PGT - the original turbo Probe. 371,972 miles and finally... too rusted out underneath.
      No... there is another....
      17+ years of no life on ProbeTalk, and 23+ years of owning the same Probe!

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerhead View Post
        Short version-
        Was told by dealer to diagnose problem they need the break out box and don't have one.

Long version-
        '94 Probe GT just quit while driving (pristine 96k miles). No chugging or lurching, just like key was turned off. Turns over but won't start.
        Suspected Camshaft Position Sensor which didn't fix problem.
        No other codes to go by. Nearby mechanics wouldn't touch that age of car so took it to dealer where I bought it.
        They've looked for the diagnostic tool and come up empty. I've looked on eBay and others with no luck.

The alternative they say is to troubleshoot at a very expensive hourly rate.
        Any suggestions welcome.

Which Camshaft position sensor did you replace?
        the boards inside the disty or .....?
        dont need a BOB to diagnose a obd1 probe. Just need a tech who is atleast ~40 yo and knows how to use a multimeter, paper clip and a timing light.
        Last edited by mac1; November 5, 2020, 01:05 PM.
        1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
        1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
        2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
        2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
        1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

I finally found the breakout box BUT, it didn't have the overlay needed for my 2.5L. (Didn't even know what an overlay was to check before buying. There must be one out there somewhere. Even a picture of it could be used.
          Here's an example of one overlay-
          https://link.shutterfly.com/g74nDLstlbb

Comment

Working...
          X