Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lmt bj View Post
    ARP studs for the heads?
    no arp studs for the main girdle. Would have been nice to have studs in there with the amount of times you have to install / uninstall the lower portion of the block for all the clearance checks.
    mx3, ze swap, SS autochrome headers, 2.5 inch exhaust, custom made CAI, AWR motor mounts, interprep valve springs, n/a 218 race grind colt cams, street PnP, thermal spacers.

Comment

Here's the final turn out on the harness, quark spark harness took a bit of thinking but I am really happy with the way it all turned out. Tach adapter and mounts in the fuse box location where the accessory fuse box use to be. The electrical taped portion of the charge harness I have since put rubber around and then taped around that to make it look a bit better.

mx3, ze swap, SS autochrome headers, 2.5 inch exhaust, custom made CAI, AWR motor mounts, interprep valve springs, n/a 218 race grind colt cams, street PnP, thermal spacers.

Comment

Lovely project! Keep it up
        MX-3 DETurbo, 291BHP @ .6bar, MSnS-coilpacks, millenia IM, MFactory LSD, light DIY P&P, Kl01cams, Fidanza, ExedyPP, ACT 6puck, 5 stud SSR TypeC, XYZ coilovers, wire tuck... the list goes on

Comment

Big news on the build... finally. I now have the heads back from the machine shop and they look awesome. Valves seats were cut to +1mm oversize, guides reduced for dual springs and I had them take .025" off of the surface to try and bump compression up a bit more. The block is getting line honed this week and that is just about done after that. I will post up pics of the block when I get that as well. Here is some photos of the work that was done on the heads.

Comment

Clean Job

Comment

Engine is finally all finished up at the machine shop, rotating assembly has been balanced and crankshaft polished. Bored .5 over and honed. Main girdle was milled and line honed. Surface also got decked about .004''. I started some measurements on it already but I think I will get some messy work I have going in the garage over with first before I start assembly. New pump from Moroso came in as well so I am just working on mounting that right now. They did a custom .900 pressure section pump for me.

Comment

Sorry for the lack of updates on the build but I have been super busy building the motor / mocking things up. Made a ton of progress by pretty much getting the motor built and the oil system almost completed. Everything went well on build, main bearings and rod bearings all set to the loosen end and everything ells was on the tighter end. I did get a bit excited and forgot to take to many pictures on build but here's a summary of what's been going on in the last couple months...
                Got a custom crank pulley made to drive the wetsump pump.
                Mocked up the remote oil filter and plumbed everything.
                Pan is currently getting welded for extra oil / pick up.
                Motor is almost fully assembled just need to mess with timing a bit.
                Spent a day finding a solution to spark plugs hitting the piston but that is solved now.

Here are some pictures of how everything came together and is currently sitting...

Comment

There was all kinda of progress on this, where did you go? Gotta know how this turns out!
                  CAI, Headers + Custom Exaust, VRIS Led, Fog lamp mod, Soundsys, Cooling fan mod, Cluster face upgrades, Improved current carrying cabling, Delphi auto dim rearview, custom strut bars, 200k and counting, and still beat the snots out of it every drive.

Comment

Double post server error. -ignore
                    CAI, Headers + Custom Exaust, VRIS Led, Fog lamp mod, Soundsys, Cooling fan mod, Cluster face upgrades, Improved current carrying cabling, Delphi auto dim rearview, custom strut bars, 200k and counting, and still beat the snots out of it every drive.

Comment

• Sorry for not posting on here much in the last bit! kind of took to posting on Facebook groups and Instagram for the car but nothing really detailed about the build, just pics and what not. The build saw a ton of progress this summer but was held up by an oil pan... yeah, I know... I am not impressed either but when you aren't a welder, and your welder doesn't do much welding on their time off this is what you get lol. I will post some pics of what did get accomplished this summer but to be honest the oil pan and linkages for ITBs held me from finishing the car off.
                      On the plus side though I got most of the annoying little things done and once a few things get finished up it should just be put the motor in and hook it up.

I do still want to keep a detailed log of the build on here so ill share some of the things that got done over the summer with some pics.

Ran 8AN lines all the way from the tank forward. Mounted fuel pressure regulator and installed the 340lph AEM fuel pump in tank.

How the motor is sitting right now. I may take it back down this winter to change a few things that I wished I took care of in the first place but now that I have all winter its not a big deal.

Comment

• I recently came across some main studs I am going to install into the block so it will go for a line hone again this winter. I also want to open up the crankshaft endplay a bit as it was right on the minimum of .003" and that has been in the back of my mind haunting me. Ill open that up at least a couple thou just to give it some room. If I can get my welder to actually do some welding the car will be perfect and ready to hit the dyno by spring. The ARP studs in the block will help me a lot with assembling and disassembling the bottom end, its not a strength thing but the factory bolts just aren't meant to get stretched so many times and having studs in there will make things so much tighter and easier.

Comment

• I'd be careful about loosening up crank end play too much... I had an issue with the timing belt sprocket rubbing on the oil pump due to not much extra end play.

Did you check your piston to valve clearance? How much did you have?

Comment

• The crankshaft endplay was only .003" with the new thrust washers and it was a tight .003" lol i personally would like to see atleast .005" on an end play but in the manual it states .0032 - .0111. I will only remove a thou or two to get that end play closer to .005 - .007.

the piston to valve clearance was the only measurment i did not do aswell. It should have lots of room but i will also check it this winter to see just how big a cam i can fit in.

Comment

• Looks like a fun build. Very cool project
                              1989 pgt: 13.6@111mph slow car
                              1990 pgt: fast car

Comment

Working...
                              X