Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

License plate install going horribly wrong!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License plate install going horribly wrong!

Customer brings in his Kawi ZX6R to have a running issue diagnosed. Claims it was running just fine and it just failed to start one day. Tried to turn the motor over but it was hydrolocked on fuel. Pull the rail out and find that #3 and 4 injectors are stuck open and dump fuel while the key is on and the pump tries to prime. Unplug the injectors and they stop spraying fuel so it's an electrical issue. There's a bunch of poorly installed LEDs everywhere so we figure there was some wire that was crossed. Then we look closer at the license plate installation...

So we have the plate frame and a nifty little mini brakelight.

Under the seat we see the two phillips screws with large washers. But whats that under there?

A Closer look. You've got to be kidding me...

FAIL!

How do we make this failure worse? The plate installer missed his mark FIVE times, making for a total of SEVEN holes in the ECU!

It gets worse. Two of the holes went through the ECU plugs which have ~30 wires each and are now destroyed so now it will need a main harness. And its worse than that. Oh yes, theres more! Remember the hydrocked motor? These motors have been known to bend rods when trying to crank over while hydrolocked. So the motor may be dead now as well which will no doubt total this bike. All this because someone wanted to move their license plate...
    Last edited by WhiteDart; April 3, 2011, 06:17 PM.
    Jim K.
    :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

ultimate fail
    Need a chip or parts for your 1st gen GT go here----->Fordprobeparts.com

Floridafordprobeowners.club

Comment

Holy mother of god. I do believe now I've seen everything.

You should probably pixelate the plate# just in case this thread blows up.
      90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
      93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
      97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
      90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

That is redonkulous. mega
        Last edited by troyfromkamilla; April 3, 2011, 05:46 PM. Reason: read too much like previous
        97PGT - CAI - HEI - SSAC - TP - B&M STS

Comment

think you can get me a good deal on that project bike...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
            Holy mother of god. I do believe now I've seen everything.

You should probably pixelate the plate# just in case this thread blows up.

Ya know, Ive been doing this for almost 10 years and every time I think i've seen it all, I come across something new like this.
            I think the strangest thing ive ever come across was a quad that a customer had just purchased that wouldnt crank. Turned out the engine was empty. No crank, transmission, valvetrain, etc. Just a empty shell.

Good call on the plate. Fixed.

Customer has been notified of the problem(s) BTW. Awaiting his response.
            Jim K.
            :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

would love to hear his response, especially if he did the "work" himself.
              Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
              Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
              Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

OH Lord! Wondering what his reaction to this is going to be...
                '94 Sonic Blue w/ Black Top ~ Turbo - SOLD: 7/06/14
                ...yeah, she's shaved, just how we like 'em. Click HERE
                vrooom psshh...

Comment

that is .... . This is going to blow up!! what year was the bike out of curiosity?
                  89 GT, 95 GT 2.0, 96 GT, 90 CRX SI[parted out], 2001 Civic LX

Comment

He might as well have slotted the ecu while he was busy drilling it.
                    DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
                    94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

this happened to another kawi a long time ago, i read it on BARF IIRC when i was in CA....guy kept asking what was wrong and no one could figure it out for the longest time until he looked into his ECU
                      NCPOC > BAPOC > SCPOC > FlaPOC > MIPOC

Comment

I want to know if this guy did the taillight mod himself or had a company do this.
                        2004 SRT-4 - 15lbs of too much fun! Saving up for a stage 3 setup! .50 trim turbos are indeed fun!

Looking for another PGT when I rebuild my SRT4! Anyone wanna sell me theirs?

Comment

I can easily see this happening. Yes its an ultimate fail. However i can see how a DIY'er can say hay..i can install this liscense plate frame on my bike. However if it was a shop...that is just poor. They should know to check for clearance
                          93 Probe GT
                          Its not a PROBLEM. It's a PROBE LUM

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d..._5571185_n.jpg

Comment

The plot thickens. I just found out that the bike does NOT belong to the guy that brought it in. The bike belongs to his friend but it was the first guy's brother-in-law that did the plate install. Oops. Still waiting to hear what is going to be done to it...
                            Jim K.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteDart View Post
                              The plot thickens. I just found out that the bike does NOT belong to the guy that brought it in. The bike belongs to his friend but it was the first guy's brother-in-law that did the plate install. Oops. Still waiting to hear what is going to be done to it...
                              Nothing like ending a friendship on a FU note!
                              2004 SRT-4 - 15lbs of too much fun! Saving up for a stage 3 setup! .50 trim turbos are indeed fun!

Looking for another PGT when I rebuild my SRT4! Anyone wanna sell me theirs?

Comment

Working...
                              X