Headlight conversion thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight conversion thoughts?

I've been having issues with my headlights not wanting to open properly. I turn them on and the lights illuminate, but occasionally it takes a minute or 2 for the headlights to pop up. I'd say roughly 25% of the time they delay, and it's very random. Replaced the motors, no difference. Electrical connections all seem solid. Fuses are good. Rather than dump more time/effort/money into diagnosing/repairing/replacing them or leaving the lights in the "open" position all the time, I've been thinking of going to a fixed headlight with HID or LED projectors, but can't seem to find anything that looks like a good conversion for Probes. Something like this is what I'm after:

http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette...ir_p_7758.html

I know Probe Addiction had something similar, but they're defunct now, and I heard their conversion didn't perform all that great anyways. Ideas or suggestions?

You might want to post this question in the Tech forum, might get more people looking at it.
    2015 Dodge Charger SXT Rallye, JAZZZND , 40K
    JAZZZIN 1994 PGT, MTX, Black/Gray leather, 200K, KLZE, Magnaflow catback SOLD to Dan [Sac]
    JAZZZN8 (2008 Mazda RX-8 GT), JAZZZN6 (2013 and 2010 Mazda 6 s GTs), first BAPOC Prez James Creasy's JAZZZN2 (1994 PGT), the infamous GRPJUCE (1994 PGT) all sold
    born in MA, grew up in MI, live in CA, just kept moving west

Comment

It will be a pain in the ass, expensive, and in the end probably wont look good (IMO) to go that route.

Many years ago I had a setup where I would keep the headlights at half droop, aka sleepy eyes) and just mounted a 6" wide by 2" tall fog light in the opening. Try searching for something like that in the pic and video forum.
      Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
      Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
      Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
      The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

If you are willing to put in a lot of time to make it look good, it's worth it - but it will take a lot of tweaking to get right. You can see my progression starting here on p 62 of the thread. I probably would not do it again.

https://forums.probetalk.com/showthr...ht=RWD&page=62
        90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
        93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
        97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
        90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information