No announcement yet.

I need to push the clutch down several times before the starter motor engages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to push the clutch down several times before the starter motor engages

I have a 1993 Ford Probe 2.0L manual.
    In the past 2 months I noticed that occasionally, in order to start the car, I needed to push the clutch down several times before the starter motor suddenly engages. Today it was worse then ever, I had to do it 12 times before suddenly it started. Brand new battery was put in 2 weeks ago.
    I researched it, and one suggestion I found was that the solenoid is bad. However, if that was the case, would it not start at all? Could it be just some "bad connection" down at the area of the clutch, because as we all know, these Probes can also be started if the clutch is pushed down. I tried to find such cables around the clutch, but I am not a mechanic....

Upon further research I am thinking that maybe the problem is with the clutch switch, known as the neutral safety switch. Some people recommend just disconnecting it.

I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you.
    Addendum: I decided to buy a Clutch Starter Safety Switch Standard NS-68 and will try to replace it myself.
    Last edited by boonetrace; April 16, 2021, 05:40 PM.

You may want to look at a couple situations here. The issue may be with the starter or the clutch switch. It could just be luck that as your pressing the clutch and the starter finally kicks in that its making you think the clutch could be the issue.

i would start with the clutch switch though as you seem to be leaning that direction. You can try removing it or pressing it by hand while you try to start the car.

if the problem continues after you have removed the clutch switch then i would lean to a bad connection or solenoid on the starter. Try giving the solenoid a tap with a hammer or wrench. The starter solenoid can get stuck in place and sometimes just needs a few clicks of the key or a hammer tap to free it up.
    mx3, ze swap, SS autochrome headers, 2.5 inch exhaust, custom made CAI, AWR motor mounts, interprep valve springs, n/a 218 race grind colt cams, street PnP, thermal spacers.

Comment

Sorry keith_ze, just saw your reply.
      Actually, what I did was order an NS68 switch for $31 from eBay, but when I wanted to install it, its cable was shorter then the original one. So I just took apart the old one (tried to upload photos but apparently I am not allowed to do that in this forum), cleaned the metal parts, put it back, installed it, and now the car starts like a charm. So I am sending back the one from eBay.

Comment

Glad to see you found the issue.
        mx3, ze swap, SS autochrome headers, 2.5 inch exhaust, custom made CAI, AWR motor mounts, interprep valve springs, n/a 218 race grind colt cams, street PnP, thermal spacers.

Comment

Working...
        X

Debug Information