Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help...Pulled a plug wire...and now car wont start, it only cranks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help...Pulled a plug wire...and now car wont start, it only cranks.

Today I pulled a single plug wire just to test how the car would run on 5 cylinders. There was nothing wrong before, I just wanted to know the symptoms incase something would ever happen.

Pulled 1 plug wire, and then started the car on 5 cylinders. The car idled for mabey 5-10 seconds, I reved it a few times and the car shut off by itseld/ stalled.

Now the car only cranks, it wont start.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Originally posted by -93PgT- View Post
    Today I pulled a single plug wire just to test how the car would run on 5 cylinders. There was nothing wrong before, I just wanted to know the symptoms incase something would ever happen.

Pulled 1 plug wire, and then started the car on 5 cylinders. The car idled for mabey 5-10 seconds, I reved it a few times and the car shut off by itseld/ stalled.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    I have learned with my Probes, if it is running fine do NOT Pull a plug wire for ANYTHING unless it's missing. I did that once and i had to replace the set because the wire broke apart in my hand with the extender end down inside the plug hole and i had to fish it out.

NEVER NEVER NEVER mess with a probe if it's NOT Broke!

Edit: Kind of sounds like you Flooded it bad! wait a few minutes and try again!
    Last edited by mburec; March 3, 2008, 01:28 PM.
    1995 Probe GT - Laser Red - MTX - (Gone in 2001 )
    1995 Probe GT - Laser Red - MTX - Present in 2008

Comment

Any ideas? Thanks.

probably flooded...when u miss fire fuel loads up in the missing cylinder n also fouls the plug "that was fine till u unknowingly messed with"
      try pulling the plug out of the head n see what it looks like...cuz u might need a tune up now...
      2003Subaru WRX E85stock td04,tgv deletes, full catless, custom 2in crosspipe, 3in TBE, walbro 255,850 modded injectors,grimmspeed crank pulleyTUNED by me on opensource 12.8 @105mph 1.7 60ft

Comment

I pulled all 6 plugs and they appeared dry. If a plug was fouled, would it be wet with fuel.

I ve tried cranking again since then, about 45 minutes ago and same thing.

I can smell fuel from cranking it so much.

Im going to check for spark next.

Comment

you blew out your coil or the igniter. its happened before, somebody pull a wire off to mess with a buddy or something, and blew the coil out

probe distys, especially the 93 and 94 ones are really that touchy.

you may wanna start looking into HEI and external coils, cuz i got a feeling, your car aint gonna run without those, or a new disty.
          -Roman
          93 teal mist PGT.....RIP march 21, 2008
          95 white PGT....blown up, sold
          94 325i...boring dd
          02 R6....toy

Comment

Originally posted by hockeystyx16 View Post
            you blew out your coil or the igniter. its happened before, somebody pull a wire off to mess with a buddy or something, and blew the coil out

you may wanna start looking into HEI and external coils, cuz i got a feeling, your car aint gonna run without those, or a new disty.

Hmm...I dont think im getting spark either. I tried two different sets of plugs/wires, and neither appear to have spark.

What exaclty do I need to do? Is their a write-up for the HEI and externals coils? Thanks.

Comment

OUCH i was thinking about the Coil, or the Coil wire from the Distributor but i was afraid to say it.

As i said before "If the Probe Ain't Broke, Don't Fix it, or even play with it"
              1995 Probe GT - Laser Red - MTX - (Gone in 2001 )
              1995 Probe GT - Laser Red - MTX - Present in 2008

Comment

Is the coil something that the HEI mod would fix?

Comment

ill respond to your PM in here, heres the HEI mod thread. i did this on my probe because i felt like it, it runs great, i only have the HEI module, not the external coil, but wiring up a coil is in my plans for when it gets warmer and i get not as lazy

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701081990
                  post #34 is the writeup for wiring up just the HEI mod

irs probably the igniter because ours are pieces of shit that shouldnt even be put on a weed whacker, thats probably what blew out, if its only the igniter, the HEI will fix it. if the coil popped as well, youll need to wire in an external coil. either way it beats paying more than 200 for a new shitty disty.
                  Last edited by hockeystyx16; March 3, 2008, 04:24 PM.
                  -Roman
                  94 325i...boring dd
                  02 R6....toy

Comment

Ok, I appreciate the help....post above ^

I might have a spare disty to try by tommorow night ( friend of mine ).

So if it's the igniter, the HEI mod should fix it.

If it's the coil also, how hard/expensive is it to wire up a coil at the same time.

Thanks.

Comment

Any ideas? Thanks.
                      For the information of anyone out there who may do this in the future, AND I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING IT, but if you really think you need to do it:

MAKE SURE YOU GROUND THE PLUG WIRE YOU HAVE DISCONNECTED!!

The energy in the coil needs to be discharged or you will fry your coil as has happened in this case.

To ground the wire, simply hold against that big nasty engine lifting hook next to the IM.
                      As a matter of fact, I do know everything. What I choose to disclose is at my discretion.

Comment

Thanks for the info...I never really though that pulling a plug wire would affect anything like this.

So your pretty sure " probious" that it's the coil and not the igniter?

Is there any way to fix this coil without a new disty?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mburec View Post
                          I have learned with my Probes, if it is running fine do NOT Pull a plug wire for ANYTHING unless it's missing. I did that once and i had to replace the set because the wire broke apart in my hand with the extender end down inside the plug hole and i had to fish it out.

NEVER NEVER NEVER mess with a probe if it's NOT Broke!

Edit: Kind of sounds like you Flooded it bad! wait a few minutes and try again!
                          HAHHAHAAHHA I feel ya bra I know what you mean but IT IS ADDICTING ...LOL!

Originally posted by hockeystyx16 View Post

I AGREE YOUR COIL BRO and check to see if your fuel pump is working. its a commen thing with probes...sux...but its life if you love a car..LOL

Thanks for the info...I never really though that pulling a plug wire would affect anything like this.

So your pretty sure " probious" that it's the coil and not the igniter?

Is there any way to fix this coil without a new disty?

Thanks.
                          HEI MOD!...but I don't half ass things so I would go with new shit! it has happened to me before ..sux!!!

DAMN is the second thread I have to say it is the coil ..................LOL....just a probe thing!
                          Last edited by man/plansPGT; March 3, 2008, 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          1995 PGT-T
                          EBAY Turbo = 8 psi
                          BUILT-BLOWN-
                          Be back SOON!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yeah, I can smell plenty of fuel from cranking and from pulling the plugs.

Can the HEI mod fix both the igniter and coil?

I though the HEI mod was only for the igniter?

Comment

HEI is just for the igniter, your right.
                              you need an external coil to take place of your internal coil.

there used to be some wiring diagrams for how to wire up an HEI with a coil in a 93-94, they were awol when i looked for them earlier today, all i could find is the 95+ diagrams, and 95+ distys are different

here, found it
                              http://forums.probetalk.com/showpost...3&postcount=13
                              not a wiring diagram, but the directions for wiring up an external coil in a 93-94

youll also need a new power tower and a lead from the coil to the disty. youll have to cut the internal bridge on your old distributor cap and drill a hole in the middle of it to mount the new power tower. i think summit and jegs and the usual sites have a package that includes the coil, the wire and the power tower

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701217992
                              thats the thread on how to hook up an HEI with a blaster2 coil on a 95+, so forget the 1st part of that crap, and read the 2nd half, where he talks about modding the stock disty cap to put the new power tower on.

i bought a radio bezel from a dude on here, IIRC he had a PRD disty cap thats made with the external coil tower, lemme find it, its probably pretty deep in the corner store
                              http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701245873
                              thats the thread, dont wake it up, its old, but if your interested, pm him about that PRD cap, then you dont have to worry about rigging up a power tower into your old cap

hope this helps
                              -Roman
                              94 325i...boring dd
                              02 R6....toy

Comment

Working...
                              X