Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch problem and smoking

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    The bolt on the linkage gets rusted in pretty good usually. It takes some lube and effort. All the 17mm bolts and nuts mentioned are all motor mounts.
    Some people are living life and some people are just living.

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by yellowrob View Post
      The bolt on the linkage gets rusted in pretty good usually. It takes some lube and effort. All the 17mm bolts and nuts mentioned are all motor mounts.
      About linkage, that is what i thought, but to confirm - you are saying that after removing the nut it should simply slide out right? If so I'll give it more effort.

      About the bolts, I think I figured it out, the convention he is using in the write up is following, he calls them either transmission to motor bolt or motor to transmission bolt, so the ones I get to remove now should be from the motor side. I am going to look at it this weekend and hopefully report back good progress.

      Comment


      • #63
        OK. I had some progress. I found all the nuts and bolts. removed quite a bit. I now have left to remove 2 nuts and 2 bolts (all 17mm) from the transmission upper mount.


        I still have the problem with the shifter linkage. It is still stuck - I keep ponding on it but nothing. - but I am sure I can get it out, I sprayed the shit out of it with WD40, and next time I will also blow torch it.

        Tomorrow I will go borrow a transmission jack from a friend. Next thing is remove transmission upper mount (I need 17 mm deep socket for two bolts there) and pull it out.

        I really hope the bearing is the problem and that's what I will see while have it pulled.

        Also, what should I replace while I have transmission out?
        Last edited by iraklic; September 20, 2020, 02:25 PM.

        Comment


        • #64
          OK, I am about to remove last two nut and one bolt from transmission mount, but I am not quite sure I am understanding this point:
          • MARK their orientation in the motor mount bracket (front to rear, the hole is slotted) first with a silver sharpie or something, then remove remaining 2 nuts and single 17mm bolt on upper transmission mount. marking them will help in alignment later for rear 3 17mm MM to MTX bolt install
          What is it that I should mark? which whole is slotted?

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by iraklic View Post
            OK, I am about to remove last two nut and one bolt from transmission mount, but I am not quite sure I am understanding this point:
            • MARK their orientation in the motor mount bracket (front to rear, the hole is slotted) first with a silver sharpie or something, then remove remaining 2 nuts and single 17mm bolt on upper transmission mount. marking them will help in alignment later for rear 3 17mm MM to MTX bolt install
            What is it that I should mark? which whole is slotted?
            He’s talking about in the very front lower mount. The one that slides into the cross member. Depending on how it’s taken apart it’s not that important. I did my first time many years ago but quickly found it wasn’t needed.
            Last edited by yellowrob; September 25, 2020, 02:14 PM.
            Some people are living life and some people are just living.

            Comment


            • #66
              OK, the linkage bolt is out. Every bolt and nut that was in the instructions is out. I thought at this point it would be super easy to remove the transmission. But not really.. I can see that transmission is about half centimeter off from the engine all around. But that is it. It is not sliding any further off and is not comin down. I have it supported by the transmission jack but even when I let it all the way down transmission is still holding. What is holding it? Should the passenger side axle just slide out or pop out or what? how far towards the driver side should the engine come off to then be lowered? Any help is appreciated.

              Comment


              • #67
                UPDATE. removed the transmission. The throwout bearing is destroyed. Will add picture later.
                Now I am looking for the replacement clutch kits and that is little confusing. I was suggested southbend stage2 daily - but there is no proper online store for that that clearly idnicates the availability that I could find. suggestions are appreciated.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by iraklic View Post
                  UPDATE. removed the transmission. The throwout bearing is destroyed. Will add picture later.
                  Now I am looking for the replacement clutch kits and that is little confusing. I was suggested southbend stage2 daily - but there is no proper online store for that that clearly idnicates the availability that I could find. suggestions are appreciated.
                  Any decent clutch from EBay or Amazon will be good. Stage 2, around 70 bucks USA
                  Some people are living life and some people are just living.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Thanks. Now I am off to removing the clutch while waiting for the new one to arrive. If there any tricks I should know or anything that I should watch out for please let me know.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      UPDATE: After about 3 years my car is operations again (modulus some coolant leak and EGR related codes that I will get to now). It was a throwout bearing all along. And all the help I got here made me learn about the system and do the clutch job on my own. The bearing and pressure plate look basically as the pictures on the first page. Throwout bearing was completely busted.

                      Thank you all so much. I hope this forum returns to its former glory because facebook just does not do it. This community was absolutely awesome and still is even if number of members is dwindling.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X