No announcement yet.

Non-LSD traction idea...weird idea inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don't you just work on your driving?
    John Kessler - 'The Original Mayonnaise'
    '95 Probe GT- Blurple-ish, SSR Integral A2s, D2 Coilovers, Renault Laguna Lip SOLD
    '96 Probe GT-Bolt-Ons, MS1 v3.0, Custom Suspension, The original Tri-Flow Turbo Cams, etc..Sold, and missed

New? From Missouri/S. Illinois/Kansas area? Let me know!
    '95 M3/2/5-S366 2J Swap in progress

Comment

I dont know about everyone else but for me the track is 2 hours away so I have to plan an event to go which is why I can't just go "practice" whenever I want.
      mods: Custom intake manifold, Water to Air Intercooler, jands safeguard, pacesetter headers, borlacatback, EATON M62 SUPERCHARGER,millenia s injectors, megasquirt, mx3 fly,ngk wires, Built engine with ze heads and cams,electric exhaust cutout, methanol injection, quaife lsd, and 9-10 psi.
      Old 160k mile engine dyno result: 245whp 227 ftlbs tq best de 1/4: 13.80 at 103.28mph with a 60' of 2.170 on 6psi. GONNA BE QUICKER SOON!

Comment

Solution: weld the front diff! THe 2 wheels will always turn together! It's not a good idea for a daily driver, but for the track it's perfect.

Comment

What I have tried is using cross weight ,like the stock car guys do. Put your spring spacers in the rear springs so it moves the weight to the 0pposite corner.My car likes two spacers in the left rear spring.

Comment

I have spacers in the rear now to prevent squating. They're adjustable, so if I do go corner balance I could use them for that as well.

Good suggestion, thanks.

92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
            HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
            Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video, Dyno Video
            As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.

Comment

The problem as I see it is that trying to adjust wheel weights or even corner weights will not make up for differences in traction on the track surface itself. No track is going to be perfectly even and level, and slight bumps at the starting line will mean that 1 tire will lose some traction where 1 other will not. With an LSD, you will put down equal power to both wheels, and, in that case, the tires would either spin equally or just jerk you off to one side. With an open diff, you initiate the 1 tire fire.
              Kevin B - Former Probe-owner
              06 Legacy GT
              98 Legacy GT

Comment

Absolutely agree. Thus anything you do to lessen the problem does just that, lessen, not solve it

Though I did have good results on my '89 PGT with difference in tire pressures and putting spring spacers in the back. At very least it launched much more predictably.

Ryan
                Ryan
                '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
                SMF Prep:
                MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

"At very least it launched much more predictably."

Bingo!!!!!!!!!! That is what we are looking for. IF what happens is completely predictable then you can go in and work towards a better launch. However, if you have a launch that is not predictable what do you do. You can't change things to fix it if you can't get a consistant problem.
                  mods: Custom intake manifold, Water to Air Intercooler, jands safeguard, pacesetter headers, borlacatback, EATON M62 SUPERCHARGER,millenia s injectors, megasquirt, mx3 fly,ngk wires, Built engine with ze heads and cams,electric exhaust cutout, methanol injection, quaife lsd, and 9-10 psi.
                  Old 160k mile engine dyno result: 245whp 227 ftlbs tq best de 1/4: 13.80 at 103.28mph with a 60' of 2.170 on 6psi. GONNA BE QUICKER SOON!

Comment

Working...
                  X