X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt-on Big brake kit

Mazda6 bolt-on “Big Brake Kit”

If your looking to upgrade your front brakes but don’t want to have to dish out 800$ or more for a kit, there is an easier solution.

The Mazda6 front calipers are a direct bolt-on to the Probe/MX-6/626. That is right, a DIRECT BOLT-ON!! There are no modifications required to install this setup on your vehicle. Just to clarify one little aspect, although you will be running larger rotors, the caliper itself is still a single piston setup, unlike some kits that offer dual pistons (or more). But for the price (more than half) it is worth it.

Every model of Mazda6 front brakes fit our vehicles, if doing this setup; you must be consistent with the year model you are using. So if you by calipers for a specific model, you must buy the matching rotors and pads. Parts are not interchangeable between models. Here are the specifications of the different models and what wheel diameter is required for them to fit:
    Disc diameter:
    03-05 Mazda 6 => 11.1" => Fits no problem with a 16" wheel
    06-07 Mazda 6 => 11.8" => Fits no problem with a 16" wheel
    06-07 MazdaSpeed 6 => 12.6" => Must have a 17" wheel minimum

Parts you will need in order to complete the swap:
    -Front Calipers (make sure it comes with the bracket as some times they are sold without)
    -Front Rotors
    -Set of Pads

The price for the parts varies on where you buy them, I personally spent around 300$ (including shipping) for my setup. This includes 03-05 Calipers, R1concept Rotors and Hawk HPS Pads.

As for the rear brakes, the rotors are also larger in diameter versus our stock rotors and the rear calipers will bolt-up to the hub as well. The problem is that the E-Brake cable will not reach the bracket on the caliper, so you will not be able to use your E-Brake.

Here is a list of other vehicles that use the same brakes as the Mazda6:
    2006-2008 Ford Fusion
    2007-2008 Lincoln MKZ
    2006-2006 Lincoln Zephyr
    2006-2008 Mercury Milan

Here are pictures of a 2006-2007 setup:

Stock:
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...4/DSCF5340.jpg

Comparaison:
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...4/DSCF5342.jpg
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...4/DSCF5343.jpg

Installed:
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...4/DSCF5347.jpg
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k1...4/DSCF5348.jpg

Enjoy your bigger brakes!

Thanks to:
    MetalPGT for the specs
    94pgt94 for the detail pictures
    Last edited by PGT97_Racer; June 16, 2009, 04:40 AM.
    KLZE, Hotshot Headers, Hotshot CAI, Pacesetter exhaust, 626 swar bar, AWR adjustable endlinks, Centreforce clutch, MX-3 Flywheel, JJ resonated TP, Eibach Springs, Shogun Rims, Mach 1 Chin and Mazda6 BBK (the Orignal)

thats good to know- only down side is the single piston caliper
    Rio Red 94 PGT mtx
    Mods - ZE, Probinator chip, Bomz cai, 2.5 Borla catback, 2.5 custom tp, ACT, Fidanza, ss line, ssac headers, poly inserts, Intrax, illuminas, cusco camber plates

Comment

this was mentioned awhile ago actually. someone installed a BBK offered for the mazda6 on the probe, and it bolted right up, no mod's needed.
      PaTricK
      ~ 92 PGT, 97 KL MTX 626, 05 Mazda6, 13 Mazda CX9, 09 Kia Sportage 4x4 v6 ~

Comment

Originally posted by xxxmonoxidechil View Post
        this was mentioned awhile ago actually. someone installed a BBK offered for the mazda6 on the probe, and it bolted right up, no mod's needed.
        That is quite possible. But i am sure that a larger rim is required, i only have 16" rims. So this is a fairly good upgrade and consideraly cheap to. Total parts came to around 300$ (Calipers, pads, rotors)
        KLZE, Hotshot Headers, Hotshot CAI, Pacesetter exhaust, 626 swar bar, AWR adjustable endlinks, Centreforce clutch, MX-3 Flywheel, JJ resonated TP, Eibach Springs, Shogun Rims, Mach 1 Chin and Mazda6 BBK (the Orignal)

Comment

Originally posted by PGT97_Racer View Post
          That is quite possible. But i am sure that a larger rim is required, i only have 16" rims. So this is a fairly good upgrade and consideraly cheap to. Total parts came to around 300$ (Calipers, pads, rotors)
          So will the set-up you did from the mazda6 fit with 16" rims? Also how many pistons is the protege brake upgrade for the probe? What would be better? Protege or Mazda6?

Comment

both are single piston, both might even be the exact same, no one has compared them yet.

and 16's would fit, being that the steelie rims on the 6's are 16's, so they would have to fit. depending on back spacing of course. but thats with any brake kit.
            PaTricK

Comment

Originally posted by PGT97_Racer View Post
              Total parts came to around 300$ (Calipers, pads, rotors)
              Is that new or jy price? and did you check about the rear?
              Check out all four probes!!!www.cardomain.com/id/bonedaddy95gtcheck out my progress
              95 GT,Gumetal, 96 harness swap w/ kll5 maf swap, UR UDP, MX-3 Fl,Razor hood, ,STS, CM stage 3, Dodge stealth quad lights
              93 GT Work in Progress.. black 17's, egay coilovers, rear seat delete, 0g batt relocate, headers, bare bones engine bay, no ac, no cruise, manual steering, HID celica headlights, lambo doors, remote start, suicide hood, g35 dual muffler, sensei kitted..

Comment

cityracer is running the rear mazda6 disc's on his mazdaspeed protege calipers.

i think he said the calipers on the 6 might be the same ones. but im not 100% sure on that last part. u would have to ask him
                PaTricK

Comment

Anyone know what it would take to moddify these to fit a 1st gen? <hint> Pat </hint>

Comment

eric (mazdameister) bolted up a set of hy-dra-cyl 2nd gen BBK onto his 1st gen mx6gt. so he would be the person to ask about anything he had to modify. but if i remember right, it was a bolt on affair.

personally, ive never tried it. im looking at oem 4 pot mazda fc calipers to mod up on my 626gt
                    PaTricK

Comment

Excellent! I hope to see him this weekend at BAMM, I'll ask him.

I totally forgot about the hy-dra-cyl fitment. D'oh!

Comment

The 6 calipers do fit in the rear, but you'll loose the e-brake.

Originally posted by Pumpkin King View Post
                        Is that new or jy price? and did you check about the rear?
                        Calipers are used (got them for 80$) from a mazda forum and the rest is new.
                        Last edited by PGT97_Racer; May 15, 2008, 05:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Do you have a pic of the new set up? I'd like to see how much more rotor size you gain.
                          93 PGT - Installed: CAI, VIS CF Invader hood, OBX headers, Res. T.P., Borla Catback, Civic STS, Brembo X-drilled/slotted disks w/PBR ceramic, '01 626 rear sway bar, MX3 Flywheel, Enkei TBS11s w/Kumho Ecsta SPT's, F & R strut ties, 96+ Tails.
                          MMX Winner: Best in Class Show Room

Comment

wow this is awesome, i'm so doing this

Comment

I'll have pics tomorrow, i don't have before pics to compare though.

Comment

Working...
                              X