Axel nut!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel nut!

I can't get that dang axel nut off! I've done broke a 1/2 ratchet, and a breaker bar. I've tried penetrating oil, I just can't get the axel nut off! is it suppost to be this difficult?

Just to make sure...you did punch out the little indent in the nut that keeps it from unscrewing?
    MX-6 DE-T // Parting out...

Comment

it was never indented. but I did punch it a little to make sure it was out.

Comment

Well I've encountered my fair share of stubborn axle nuts...usually a pipe to make the breaker bar longer does the trick but I've never had one resist my ingersoll rand 1/2" impact...
        MX-6 DE-T // Parting out...

Comment

heat it up with a propane torch. That always does the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by poissonn View Post
            Well I've encountered my fair share of stubborn axle nuts...usually a pipe to make the breaker bar longer does the trick but I've never had one resist my ingersoll rand 1/2" impact...
            2135ti max, get one. IR power

If you dont have air tools, get a breaker bar, a bigger one.
            94 PGT -T, Used to be quick

94 Black PGT, KLZE, spun bearing, Likely parts car for life

Comment

I couldn't remove one of my axle nuts with a 1/2" breaker bar attached to a four foot pipe while I jumped up and down on it! Since I didn't have a big-ass impact gun, I paid a shop to do it. My back is glad I did.
              95 Probe GT -- 24 Hours of LeMons race car!
              Our teams Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

Comment

I just broke a 1/2 inch breaker bar trying to get my axle nut off too! Ended up getting it off with a 1/2 inch ratchet inside a 3 foot hollow steel pipe and another breaker bar inside the end of that hahaha

I heard what I thought was the axle nut moving with the breaker bar at first then I looked at the breaker bar and realized the nut didn't move a bit.

Comment

I've run into this a few times, but thankfully I have a 3/4" breaker bar set and I've got a 3/4" impact that my dad uses for semi lug nuts and things of that type. It's always worked. However, if you don't have access to it, just get a 1/2" breaker bar with a long pipe, it'll snap lose.

Comment

I used a 36" 3/4" breaker bar and they came off no problem. They're a little stubborn but 3 feet of bar usually gets quiet a bit of torque on it. I've also had to put an extension on the socket to get it to clear the stock wheel/body and then rest the extension on an axle stand to hold it square to the nut.
                    1996 Probe GT - Bought April 2010, Boosted August 2014
                    Fast FC04 18x9, Black Leather, King6, ADDCO, AWR, Yonaka, Quad J30s, AVC Pipes, Tial WG, Greddy BOV, Aeromotive AFPR, MS1v3
                    1993 Probe GT - 110k, auto, parts car
                    2011 Impreza Limited Hatchback - Daily, Lowered, WRX Wheels & Wing

Comment

if the engine runs/trans works....
                      You could always wedge the bar onto the ground and let the clutch out either in reverse or forward (depending which side nut) to take the nut off
                      94 PGT -T, Used to be quick

94 Black PGT, KLZE, spun bearing, Likely parts car for life

Comment

i had one so bad, had to air hammer/chizel the nut till it cracked.
                        1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                        1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : the loaner
                        2014 Factory Five 818s EJ255t : for sale
                        2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                        1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

I just went down to sears and picked up a new breaker bar, craftsman 1/2" for 30 bucks. They also had a 3/4" for 60 bucks. I'm sure the 3/4" would be much better for axle nuts in case anyone wants to get one. I also picked up a 32mm socket for only 9 bucks. 41 dollars after tax with a lifetime guarantee. Job well done!

Just some advice for anyone that may need some good tools for the job in the future. I'm sure most already know this but to those that don't.

ikesale, did you ever get the nut off?

Comment

I now prefer to use my NitroCat1200k 1/2" dual clutch impact to zip them off, but before owning the impact gun, I used a 3/4" Harbor Freight ratchet. If they were stubborn, I applied a cheater pipe to the 3/4" ratchet. That tool just will NOT break and it was dirt cheap!
                            DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
                            94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

didnt get the nut off. ive gone back otr untill my next home time and more money. I used a 5 ft metal pipe and it tore my rachets insides up. used the 1/2 breaker bar with pipe and twisted the connector piece that goes in the socket off. im thinking about getting both L and R control arms off ebay for $40 each. they come with bushings and ball joints. then im replacing both wheel bearings. thinking about ebay ones there also can get two of them for $30. ive got alot of wheel play. im also going to be putting a new fuel pump on a 2000 malibu. if I had more money id have less problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X