No announcement yet.

Axel nut!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I have always done when the retainer is stubborn is to remove the hub so that you can get a straight line pull on the axle. A straight line pull keeps the balls from coming out of their tracks. Then once you have a straight line pull -push the axle in all the way (balls furthest back in the tracks) and then yank the shaft out as straight as you can. This acts like a slide hammer and causes the retainer ring to finally submit. This has always worked for me.
    Success is a measure of determination!
    Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
    $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
    Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
    Restoration of a legend

Comment

NOW... axle stuck in trans

OMG! I finally got it off! 3/4- 32 mm in a 3/4 slide bar with 4-1/2 ft cheater pipe and she cried all the way off. Now I can't remove the axle from the trans! I've tried to pry it out, slide hammer in out, nothing! For ******'s sake! I can't even get a break. It's baby's revenge for leaving her in disrepair for over a year...
      No Probe...no problem.
      '89 fire red Probe GT

Comment

Thanks again Silver! Now I'm working on the driver's side. I'll try anything at this point... sorry for the redundant post, I'm losing what's left of my mind...

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Hey KLZE Porsche- Thanks for the idea. I'll give that a try too. I'm really getting desperate and broke and I'm not even close to replacing the throw out bearing. Got any cheese and crackers to go with my whine?
        No Probe...no problem.
        '89 fire red Probe GT

Comment

Originally posted by cmicgross View Post
          ...Hey KLZE Porsche- Thanks for the idea. I'll give that a try too. I'm really getting desperate and broke and I'm not even close to replacing the throw out bearing. Got any cheese and crackers to go with my whine?
          Naw -I just have a bunch of whine myself with no cheese/crackers. The good stuff was all used up years ago -leaving this grumpy old man with nothing but whine, complaints and a lot of that broke and desperate stuff as well! That is what kids and life leave you with!
          Last edited by KLZE Porsche; August 11, 2016, 04:43 AM.
          Success is a measure of determination!
          Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
          $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
          Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
          Restoration of a legend

Comment

Originally posted by cmicgross View Post
            Thanks again Silver! Now I'm working on the driver's side. I'll try anything at this point... sorry for the redundant post, I'm losing what's left of my mind...[COLOR="Silver"]
            Yeah, my drivers side was a PITA last time I changed them too. In my case though, while the old one also came out with some difficulty (it was the prybar "popping" method that finally did the trick on that side), it was the new one that just would NOT go IN.....even with the clip removed.

I fought and cussed it for awhile, then just took it back to Advance Auto and got another one to try. The replacement slid right in.

If yours is at least moving back and forth a little but just not coming out, it's likely the clip that's preventing it from coming out. I'd suggest trying to get some extra trans fluid onto the splines to help the clip slide past the splines, but realize that's easier said than done given the area you're working.

Comment

Stuck axle?

Ok, 3 trips to 2 differ parts stores FINALLY got the correct tool, FWD axle puller adapter (OEM#27058) for the slide hammer. Thing was a beeotch to squeeze in, then there was no room to slide the hammer! Soooo, I just kept banging on it to move it to a better position...and the damned thing popped right off!
              Kudos and thanks to all the Probees who chipped in!
              NEXT... stay tuned.
              No Probe...no problem.
              '89 fire red Probe GT

Comment

Perseverance FTW!

Comment

Working...
                X