motor mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor mounts

ok i checked www.autopartsgiant.com for motor mountsi just dont know which one to get. it lists this:

ANCHOR 8461 [Engine Mount] Rr. LH; AT; Includes GT Listing 56.95
    ANCHOR 8073 [Engine Mount] Frt.; 5 Spd.; Includes GT Listing 68.68
    ANCHOR 8456 [Engine Mount] Rr. LH; 5 Spd.; Includes GT Listing 56.95
    ANCHOR 8459 [Engine Mount] Frt.; AT; Includes GT Listing 58.26

now, my problem is, when i press on the gas (doesnt matter what gear) the stick shifter moves. like say im in 2nd, and i press on the gas, the shifter moves, with the engine, i can tell, towards the rear of the car about 1 inch. so i figure its a motor mount. any guesses as to which one? how do i check? can i just get the poly inserts sold at __________ (cant remember right now)? or do i have to get the whole new mount and the inserts? cause if i dont ave to get the mount, itself, im not gonna. any help is appriciated. thanks.

-frank
    When I was your age, Pluto was a planet

If you can hear a loud bang when you power shift then you should replace your motor mounts. Shifter moving is the inditcation of motor mounts being there. Since you have a rod shifter, it is supposed to move. Just get inserts for performance benefits at RR Racing.
    my email address is NOT working

Comment

dont forget Rafi's inserts!!! They are the best thing ever!!

www.rr-racing.com
      ------------------------Wes Fenton------------------------
      No longer a probe owner, but I'm still a probe enthusiast!
      ----------I can't believe I made it to 9 Myrtles!!!----------

Comment

ok so how do i put in the new insert? should i get both front and back? i read that the back is a pita. should i just do front? which one is front? is it the one up top, by like the timing belt cover and hood-holder-upper? thanks again..

-frank

Comment

The front one is right by the exhaust as you peep down inbetween the radiator and the engine itself. And yes, the rear is a PITA. Getting both inserts will help a lot plus save you from destroying the rear if you don't get it. There is a good write-up in the archives up top by "halfriceboy".

Comment

Be careful with those Anchor mounts at AutoPartsGiant. I got a (supposedly correct) rear mount for the PGT (the 8456), and it does not even look close to the correct one so I sent it back to them. Told them to change the listing but they apparently did not. :x
            If I were you, I'd do both the front and rear mounts. I had the front replaced with Rafi's poly mount and a year later, my rear mount was trashed, causing steering wheel vibrations and sloppy feel when shifting. I got my rear mount replaced with a poly-filled OEM Mazda mount and my problems are now fixed. I did the poly filling before handing the mount over to the shop and mine is not rock hard but very firm. I just used some grey poly caulking material from Home Depot, and it came out very well.
            The OEM Mazda rear mount costs about $90 at the dealer IIRC.
            And yes, putting in the rear mount is a pain to do - that's why I paid a shop to do it.
            The front one is clearly visible down below the factory air intake S-piece (if you still have that). Easy to replace.
            1994 Probe GT; sold
            2004 Mazda RX-8

Comment

how much did that shop charge you to put it in...was is local like ma and pop shop, or like a pep boys or midas
              Josh
              95 GT MTX SOLD
              2002 Yamaha R6<~STOCK
              2004 WRB WRX<~COBB Stage 2

Comment

I will never go to midas because they are careless, incompetent crooks who on top are overcharging the customer for their crappy job :x
                I had my share of bad experience with them.

It was a local shop and they did a very good job (got also other things taken care of at the same time). They were not cheap - I paid $230 for the labor to put the mount in - but I don't mind, seeing that doing it would take a lot of time and I'd fill up the swear jar real quickly
                1994 Probe GT; sold
                2004 Mazda RX-8

Comment

Originally posted by Tamas
                  I'd fill up the swear jar real quickly [/B]
                  hehe..

my thermostat went bad the day before i was spossed to move back from louisiana here to cali, and i went to midas, they said they didnt have the correct one, and it would take 2 days to get it. i ended up having to drive all over shreveport lookin for one. asses.

so i checked out halfriceboy's how-to:

Originally posted by halfriceboy
                  now, to do the rear engine mount:
                  1. jack up engine by oil pan to releive stress on rear mount. note: place the peice of wood between the jack and oil pan. do not jack near drain plug.
                  2. use a 17mm and remove the bolt that goes through the bushing. remove nut also. if the power steering line is in the way of the bolt, losen the line and set it aside. it's strong, use force to move it.
                  3. remove the 3 bolts on top of the mount. use a swivel if necessary to get to the bolts. they will be very tight.
                  4. the mount should just come out. look how crappy is is compared to the mazdaspeed one.
                  5. put the new mount back in and tighten everything. put the bolts halfway in, then put the bushing bolt through. then tighten the 3 top bolts.
                  6. put the powersteering line back on if it was removed.
                  7. after the IM is back on, add powersteering fluid.
                  anyone got anything to add? i dont like liftin the engine by the oil pan, and i dont have a hoist. any suggestions or am i stuck? thanks.

-frank

Comment

Nothing wrong with lifting the engine by the oil pan. Not like it's going to bend or anything.
                    my email address is NOT working

Comment

i just dont want to 'unseal' the gasket. cause then i gotta do that gasket. and im about tired of screwin with gaskets..

-frank

Comment

Based on this description, it seems that halfriceboy replaced the rear mount from underneath the car. I thought that doesn't work and people do it via removing the intake to get at the bolts.

I should ask the shop how did they do it...

Either way, it still sounds like a p.i.t.a to me.
                        1994 Probe GT; sold
                        2004 Mazda RX-8

Comment

I have a question. I have a bad front motor mount, i mean the thing shakes like a mother.

So, my friend told me that that bad motor mount is causing some of my bad performance numbers because its robbing me of power when the engine is being slushed around.

Is this accurate?!?! I need some quick info, thanks!!
                          Click HERE to see my old PGT...

-'01 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe 5speed. Black on Black/Gray Leather. Clicky

Comment

ya thats about right. get yourself a new motor mount from the junkyard, or a mazda dealer (ford is way too expensive), and buy these http://rr-racing.com/engine-mounts.htm you should notice a huge difference.

Comment

Hey there!

Can anybody say if the ANCHOR 8456 Motormounts from Rockauto are the same as these from www.autopartsgiant.com?

Is the problem at autopartsgiant or Anchor?

I'm looking for new ones for my 93' PGT. (Rear one is most important!)

Thanks!

Lukas

Comment

Working...
                              X