Project Casper - KL Rx7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Casper - KL Rx7

I was going to just unveil this at completion but being as I started this in 2012 I figure I could do with some motivation!

The car was acquired for £800 as a rolling chassis listed in a local car forum. It had no engine, no bonnet, no seats, surface rust, no spoiler and a badly fitting bumper. The previous owner needed to rebuild the engine but lost interest. It was yet another Rx-7 ready for breaking and scrapping.

How it all began... bonnet not included
    About me

I'm a mature student, on a very slim budget. I've been modifying Mx-3s for years, going through many iterations:

KLZE 2.5 swap into 1.8 v6
    KLZE supercharged with clutched M62 Eaton
    KLZE on T595 throttle bodies
    KLDE with t3t4 turbo at 291bhp
    B5ZE on evo 8 16g turbo

I've loved Rx-7s since I first saw them, and found them incredibly exotic in appearance.
    Why v6

Engine budget - I can't throw 3k into buying a rotary, having it rebuilt and buying all the ancillaries. I love the rotary engine but it's just not for me right now.
    Fuel economy - from reading forums and talking to owners it seems sub 20mpg is realistic. It's a quick performance car but that's thirsty. I aim for 30+mpg mixed driving at the same power levels.
    The challenge - this is as important as the first point. I've always liked doing my own thing. I prefer to see things that aren't normally done. Bolt on modifying is fun and easy, but it doesn't provide the challenge or push your creative requisites.

Why KL Mazda

Lightweight, compact V6.
    Made by Mazda. I like to approach this with a mindset of a V6 option by Mazda.
    Bonnet (hood ) clearance.
    Available in 200hp naturally aspirated form.
    Proven performance 291bhp with an eBay £140 turbo and £120 scrapyard engine with 0.5 bar from my Mx-3 days
    I have a lot of parts and spare blocks already and the knowledge of the engine.
    Easy to work on.
    Reliable. My first K series engine ran for 150,000 miles.
    Glorious soundtrack.

Project Rules

The shell must be entirely reversible to rotary if required.
    Maintain front mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout as far as possible.
    Keep weight to equivalent or less than the factory rotary twin turbo.
    No butchering the firewall.
    No movement of key components including the steering rack.

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Mock ups
    SketchUp

Before I even bought the shell I wanted to make sure the KL was going to fit comfortably. One of the core principles of the project was to maintain the Rx-7s integrity: no cutting firewalls, no moving steering racks. The compact nature of the KL excelled here. It required no modifications to the engine bay nor scoops in the bonnet. To check this I visited the shell, measured up then mocked up the key dimensions in SketchUp, cheap and nasty

Lets get real

I needed to see how things were going to be laid out. I had an old 1.8 K8 which shares the same external dimensions as the KL. I took the crank out and was able to just lift the block in by hand, which made things easy to manage. The result was pleasing. Things were fitting in nicely.

K8 Rx7 v6

One long ass gearbox. The K series block looks tiny!

Adapter plate MDF

The next key step was deciding how to combine my power source to the gearbox. I debated using the KL flywheel VS the Rx7 flywheel and clutch assembly. In the end I decided to keep it simple. Rx7 from the flywheel onwards. I began measuring and drawing up CAD files. After a bit of a learning curve I was ready to make my own MDF prototype.

I printed out my drawings, glued them to MDF and got cutting and drilling. Things seem to be lining up nicely.

K8 Rx7 v6

Still front-mid engine layout, much rejoice. Lots of room for turbo parts and cooling!

I then began mocking up a very crude flywheel to crank adapter.

Thicknesses were modified to maintain all original gearbox clutch and starter function. Maintaining the core principle of no butchering.

The bell housing was scanned to assist accuracy in hole placement.

Sketch up mock was made of clutch interface. I didn't wan't to have to pay twice for manufacture.

Before long I had finished the CAD. The flywheel adapter was to be manufactured in a steel comparable to the forged factory crankshaft. This could not be a point of failure!

The adapter plate was intensely irritating to finalise. Holes clashed, but ultimately it would work out.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

Adapter plate trial with bell housing:
    rx7 kl v6 adapter plate

That was a relief...

And the flywheel spacer fit too! Nice lightweight exedy flywheel for FD3S. Whole clutch/fly assembly weighs in same as standard KL and less than RX-7 assembly.

Changing the v6 from transverse to longitudinal logically implied moving the oil pick up to the new deepest point.

Custom sump to match and fit in the rx7 subframe:

I wanted my intake manifold to flow from the front back. Unfortunately the coolant neck was in the way... so chop and weld time:
    MX-3 DETurbo, 291BHP @ .6bar, MSnS-coilpacks, millenia IM, MFactory LSD, light DIY P&P, Kl01cams, Fidanza, ExedyPP, ACT 6puck, 5 stud SSR TypeC, XYZ coilovers, wire tuck... the list goes on

More to come...

Current status:
    Megasquirt fried.
    But was running - just need a new megasquirt now...
    MX-3 DETurbo, 291BHP @ .6bar, MSnS-coilpacks, millenia IM, MFactory LSD, light DIY P&P, Kl01cams, Fidanza, ExedyPP, ACT 6puck, 5 stud SSR TypeC, XYZ coilovers, wire tuck... the list goes on

Comment

Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
      STEVE B
      1993 Probe GT
      2016 Mustang

Comment

Looking good!
        93 PGT Kitted and all -sold,
        Current 93 PGT-ZE-T So far: 12" brakes, ZE, T3/T4 turbo, 2.5" exhaust , ACT 6-puck, MSD6AL+2step, Coilovers, 245/45/17x9 cobra r, 67mm TB, MS II, traction bars, meth inj. and more.
        1980 Corvette Vortec 350 and side pipes

OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE LOSING

Comment

I love it. I have also loved these cars for a long time, but a LHD fd has and will always be out of my price range. Can't wait to see some roller vids

Comment

Wow crazy nice build
            1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

Oh wow I like where this is going.
              Ryan
              '94 Mazda MX6 V-6
              SMF Prep:
              MFactory LSD [] TEIN [] 15x11's and 275 Hoosiers [] Hawk HP+ [] Sparco [] AWR [] HotShot [] Headers [] Magnaflow [] Side Exit []

Comment

I just blew my load. Speaking of which, what internals are you going with?
                I'm the 626 guy. DOWN FOR A REBUILD 11.8:1 comp build .020 pistons race cams MSPNP coming hopefully running by the end of the year check my YOUTUBE page

Comment

This is good inspiration for me to get going on my project too. Thanks man. Looks great!
                  tehbrookzorz - 1985 Celica, KL, Turbo, Miata trans, Supra LSD

Comment

Very nice build for someone on a tight budget!

Imo, I think you made the right decision when it comes to the engine. At the risk of pissing off any rotary fans on here, I personally think the rotary, while a great design in paper, is not a great design for real life conditions and for reliability. Not only do you not have to deal with the high heat issue and have to worry about rebuilding the engine a whole bunch of times, you now have plenty of space to add some forced induction.

Have you considered building a custom oil pan? I think that might be a pretty good idea given the KL's now longitudinal. You might even be able to design one with a deeper sump for greater oil capacity...

Comment

This is amazing, love it. And the fact that you A) don't want to butcher it and B) do the work yourself make it even better.

Definitely keeping an eye on this thread.
                      1996 Probe GT - Bought April 2010, Boosted August 2014
                      Fast FC04 18x9, Black Leather, King6, ADDCO, AWR, Yonaka, Quad J30s, AVC Pipes, Tial WG, Greddy BOV, Aeromotive AFPR, MS1v3
                      1993 Probe GT - 110k, auto, parts car
                      2011 Impreza Limited Hatchback - Daily, Lowered, WRX Wheels & Wing

Comment

Exceptional fap material.
                        DRIVE IT LIKE YOU BUILT IT!!
                        94 Probe GT..no engine!

96 Probe GT now with full-forged KLZE ..8psi untuned and buck wildCarDomain page

Comment

Awesome! This is a build that I've always wanted to do! Problem is non-running rx7 shells are like $5k around here...
                          Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
                          Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
                          Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
                          The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

Originally posted by proboner View Post
                            Awesome! This is a build that I've always wanted to do! Problem is non-running rx7 shells are like $5k around here...
                            They aren't much cheaper elsewhere.

Great job marcdh! Can't wait to see more!
                            Success is a measure of determination!
                            Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
                            $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
                            Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
                            Restoration of a legend

Comment

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
                              They aren't much cheaper elsewhere.

Great job marcdh! Can't wait to see more!
                              Really? I am in Oregon and you can pick them up all day here for $1000 or less.
                              I sold my 86 non running (no compression...apex seals?) for $400. It even had the rare as hell 2+2 BACK SEATS!
                              I've Been Probed.

Comment

Working...
                              X