No announcement yet.

Bonneville Dreamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's my favorite Speed Racer episode to keep you inspired,as it did me for far too long...The Fastest Probe on Earth;
    [ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Zfaw-xYjk"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Zfaw-xYjk[/ame]
    [ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P6S0F4LpNY"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P6S0F4LpNY[/ame]
    Ok,most don't have the cahoons tip turn @ 440 kph.but the Probe SEGRX could. It's my dream for b-ville. The fastest probe on earth!!!
    Last edited by unionrdr; September 11, 2013, 01:37 PM.

'94 PROBE SE Middle-aged croozr

Comment

• Upgrading Style

I decided to upgrade to LED driving lights like on many of the newer cars:

Success is a measure of determination!
      Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
      $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
      Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
      Restoration of a legend

Comment

• Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
        I decided to upgrade to LED driving lights like on many of the newer cars:

Michael, nice work, can you get us a couple clear night time shots?
        1994 MX-6 LS ATX/MTX Swap
        What have I done to it? Stuff...
        What will be done to it next? More Stuff...
        Build Thread - http://www.mx6.com/forums/gallery/24...ld-thread.html

Comment

• Originally posted by twopedalwarrior View Post
          Michael, nice work, can you get us a couple clear night time shots?
          I will when I get them put in. It wasn't an easy project.

I started with two new turns from ebay and the first step was to remove the lense without cracking it. It took about an hour to remove the lens without breakage.

Then I used a dremel with a cutting blade to cut away a strip in the back housing since the LEDs cannot conform to the curvature. After cutting a strip that the LED lays in -then I had to make aluminum shields to put on top of the LED to keep them from spraying oncoming cars. These bastages are unbelievably bright. They will leave burned bars in your eyes for a while if you look directly at them. I respect other drivers and so I made the aluminum deflectors. Now it is more of a horizontal flat beam than a spraying flood.

Then I re-assembled the turn with the LED and reflector and sealed up everything real nicely.

I went out and set one in front of my wife's Probe -because hers is getting them first. She has been having a lot of trouble seeing in the dark and so I actually came up with this idea for her car. I will add them to my car later on. But here are a couple of shots of how one of them lights up the driveway. The direct on shot is all blurred and so it looks like just a huge blob of light. But in actuality -it looks just like a solid bar. You can see somewhat what it looks like in the reflection in the paint on the car next to it.

And the shot looking down the driveway doesn't show it's true intensity because our driveway is sloped and so the beam only hits the driveway right in front of the car and then tapers off.

Last edited by KLZE Porsche; October 8, 2013, 05:17 PM.
          Restoration of a legend

Comment

• Update on ecta

Originally posted by lilpavel View Post
            I told you and its ECTA in Maxton, SC
            http://www.ecta-lsr.com/
            Just for the record -I believe ECTA had shut down the trials in SC due to insurance reasons -however, I had recently visited the ECTA website and it looks like they are back on this year -in Ohio. Perhaps if the Pigeon Forge meet comes to fruition -a few peoples might be able to attend the trials in conjunction with the meet (if the meet timing is correct). I won't be running in the trials -but would like to attend one or two of them to get tips on cages, tires and safety equipment. Many of the ECTA members also run Bonneville so the info there would be invaluable.

http://www.ecta-lsr.com/
            Last edited by KLZE Porsche; February 27, 2014, 06:30 AM.
            Restoration of a legend

Comment

• What's the latest on the Hayabusa valve train into the KL head? Look forward to hearing more about your results.

Comment

• Originally posted by RACERSNUT View Post
                What's the latest on the Hayabusa valve train into the KL head? Look forward to hearing more about your results.
                Right now -what is happening is that I am doing one of the most thorough clean-outs I have ever done in my shop. I am getting it ready for the "Big Build". I am trying to get three cars out and running, and another car out and in storage so that I can have all 6 bays at my disposal.

So I have been taking every spare part that I have and vatting them to get them ready to build a handful of engines. I have been scrubbing pistons nearly every day. Unfortunately -I had promised that I would do a piston cleaning "How-to" and so I went and bought a new can of Gunk and then looked for a heavily "carbonized" piston and was unable to find one. I had them all cleaned already. I also had the engine on a stand from the PGT that I wrecked early last year and took a look at that one -and because it was a fairly recent build -it doesn't have much buildup on anything yet. However -I still plan to tear it down and inspect/clean everything -so perhaps I might do the "How-to" with that one. But it just won't be as good of an example of how dirty they can start -to end up looking so new when done. But I guess I will do it anyway because any example is better than none. But that is how clean my shop is getting.

I have three engine stands for the builds and need probably 2 or 3 more. I want to have all of the engines standing by and ready to swap when experimentation time comes. I have been tossing around the idea of finding out what it takes for me to be able to run on the Talladega speedway for trial runs because I can't think of any other suitable place nearby where I can legally make my trial runs.

For the main engine -I think I have everything I need. I have some forged pistons -but what I would really like to run is some oversized Hayabusa pistons because they are much lighter weight and very well made. But they are $600 for 4. If they will not let me buy just two pistons then I will have to buy 2 sets at $1200. So I am still waiting to see how that plays out.

I also still have yet to get all of the materials and such for the safety side of things. I have sourced my chromoly pipe for the cage -but still need to find a good welder for that. I still need to buy a fire suit, fire suppression system (very expensive) and rims/tires (also very expensive).

One of these weekends -I plan to devote the entire weekend to making the rest of the valve guides (11 left to make) and possibly making my Shim Under Bucket followers. I came up with what I thought was a good and very lightweight design -but one of my mentor machinists says he doesn't believe the design would hold up for long under high revs. So I am debating on making them and running them in a disposable motor all out -and if they fail -I will have to find something else.

The problem is that with the cams I have (nearly .25" reduced base circle) -the lash adjusters now need to have approximately .25" longer of a skirt to keep them from rocking in the bores at high speed. So this can only mean something custom. I came up with an aluminum design with a pressed/crimped-in "T" at the top for the wear pad and stem underneath. I also have another solid chromoly designed one -but machining it would be extremely difficult to do the insides of it with the small lathe tools required and the hardness of the metal. It would be an almost impossible feat.

So as of right now -my only progress is a severe shop cleaning and getting rid of all the extra junk that will never be used.

P.S. Too much blabber and not an answer to your question. One head has all guides installed but requires porting to my experimental porting template design. The other head is cleaned with valve guides removed and awaiting the new valve guides. -Not much time to turn out stuff like this with 3 hours of driving time to/from work every day and 9 hours of work. A new job on the horizon that is much closer to home will be nice if it pans out. I will find out on Thursday!
                Last edited by KLZE Porsche; March 31, 2014, 05:31 AM.
                Restoration of a legend

Comment

• For your sake, and ours, I hope your get the job closer to home. I always get excited when I see updates to this thread, the custom parts and workmanship are a step above. Can't wait to see the final product

Comment

• Wow my brain is running wild with everything you are doing, the idea's bouncing between my ears. I am an out of the box thinker much like yourself (obviously not on the same scale as you) but I have read every single post.. Intrigued to say the least. Subscribed.
                    Geisha
                    // 97 MX-6 LS | PSHHH Project \\
                    " When the clutch drops.. The BS stops.."
                    - Female Owned, Built & Driven -

Comment

• I thought up an idea for a new nose design when looking at my old FBC & thinking of The Fastest Car on Earth episode. That teardrop nose. I'm pretty good at chopping & sectioning FG parts. so I've decided to craft that teardrop nose from the GRX for the probe-out of the old FBC so the grill vents & natural compound curves fit. And since I finally found a new replacement EGR vent solenoid for the SE & GT from the 626,I should have my lil tuner back next weekend. Then I can go get the FG stuff to start crafting the new nose. With the blistered fenders the 2nd gen Probe has,that tear drop nose should fit really well aerodynamically & aesthetically. Besides, I like those headlights too. Bad a$$ at night. And the way the cuts will be made, following the natural angles & curves of the Probe FBC, the teardrop part should be angled down. I'm also going to reinforce it like they did in NASCAR in the old days. The old headlight flip ups will be removed & the DS one will be turned into a air vent for the CAI with battery relocated.

'94 PROBE SE Middle-aged croozr

Comment

• Hey, just thought id share what im doing here seen as its relevent to you. Im using the 85mm hayabusa piston and a custom h beam rod. So far i have a piston and I 3d printed a rod to check clearances.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Comment

• Amazing work. Can't wait to see more.

Comment

• I absolutely love those Hayabusa pistons. They are definitely the way to go for ultra-high RPM. Definitely keep up the work.

Life's ups & downs have pulled me so far away from this project that I had thought I would never be able to get back to it.

Growing families, increased living expenses and whatnot -lend to a need to work longer hours and give up more of your spare time.

So I am off once again to attempt to find a decent job with less than 60+ working hours per week. I am now looking at a job with similar pay -but tele-commute (work from home) If this pans out well -I will gain an hour each day in drive time and also may not have to work so many hours to keep my employer happy. I would call this a win-win situation -if it pans out. I have been working on Salary for the last 3 or 4 jobs -and so when an employer wants me to work 60+ hours this is not a win-win scenario.

I would really love to get back to this project from my "bucket list" before it gets knocked over -when I kick it.

Keep on Sharing Jimmy. You are a great asset!

P.S. I wish I had access to a 3D printer that does such good work. That print is amazing. If you cannot find a foundry to cast it -get back in touch with me and I will see if I can dig up some of my sources from the past. Although -forged and CNC would be a better approach for that piece. I might also have a source for forged blanks that would require final machine work.
                            Last edited by KLZE Porsche; April 14, 2017, 07:47 AM.
                            Restoration of a legend

Comment

Working...
                            X