Removing rear view mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing rear view mirror

When I had my headliner replaced down in Mexico, they broke my rear view mirror, supposedly by overtightening it after removal. They replaced the glass with a single mirror, instead of a two way mirror and knocked some off of the price because they couldn't get the two way. I can purchase one from Advance Auto or on the Internet, but I can't get the old one off.

Has anyone removed their rear view mirror? I thought it would take an Allen wrench, but the hole in the back of the mirror case is round and looks buggered up. I can't find an Allen wrench to fit it. I tried jamming a phillips head in it without success.

Any ideas?

TIA,
    Brady
    '89 Ford Probe LX, 2.2 nonturbo, 5 speed
    No wonder my car broke down; the mechanic put BREAK FLUID in it!

It appears that no one has ever removed their mirror. Would someone be good enough to look on the back of their mirror and see if it looks like it would be removed with an Allen wrench?

TIA,
    Brady

Comment

Long time since windshield replacement. Bracket is not original and mine has phillips screw in it's face. If yours is on the face (perpendicular to windshield surface), why don't you just use a screw extractor, small one would do it, if not, drill stripped screw off? Even if you don't have screw extractor, try small drillbit and run it in REVERSE. I think , even if you drill it off carefully, you will be able to use another screw for reinstall.

It appears technician in Mexico overtightened and stripped yours. I think it's purpose is to avoid mirror rattling off this bracket, grooves and rails are the main mirror holders. Tightening the screw is only to point when it will not wiggle.
      Last edited by jknedlik; March 22, 2011, 11:04 AM. Reason: typos and additions
      1991 Probe LX, 3litre, 189,000 km

Comment

Originally posted by jknedlik View Post
        ...It appears technician in Mexico overtightened and stripped yours. I think it's purpose is to avoid mirror rattling off this bracket, grooves and rails are the main mirror holders. Tightening the screw is only to point when it will not wiggle.
        Thanks for the reply. I think you are correct; in the hole in the back of the mirror I can see threads, so the screw is missing. It is tight enough on the stem that it is usable, but I need the day/night feature. I found in the shop manual how to remove the mirror with the stem, but not how to disassemble further. I had forgotten that I had posted about this a month ago, when Boosted Man suggested just getting an OEM replacement, so I have posted a WTB in the Corner Store.

If anyone else has any suggestions, please feel free to comment.

Brady

Comment

I don't have a solution to how to open casing of the mirror, but read some ideas i found (after work to relieve my stress). All quotes:

Quote 1:
          if its a simple rear view mirror then i would guess the glass is glued into the plastic...

if it has stuff like auto dimming n what not i would be willing to bet there is a seam some place where it all clips together...

Quote 2:
          Heat gun or oven. An oven is more regulated though. Here are some ideas how it's done with tail lights. Same type of glue, but probably a little harder plastic/ABS on the mirror.
          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...n+oven&spell=1

Quote 3:
          With some exploration today i picked up 5 different mirrors from the junk yard and you are correct it seems that most that have electronics inside do have a seam, i was able to open one by just gently prying against the clips around the edge, but on the basic mirrors i haven't figured out a way as of yet to pry evenly around the edges enough to remove the glass with out cracking or chipping it, they don't look to be glued from the back just either molded in at production or very well pressure fit.

These are offering some clues as how the mirror mounts in the plastic housing. Question of whether is possible to fit two way mirror inside the basic one is still open.
          1991 Probe LX, 3litre, 189,000 km

Comment

Thanks for the info. I found one on ebay and ordered it; haven't got it yet. The only problem, it is not the right color, but I should be able to spray paint it close enough. After I get it, I may try to take the other one apart just to see.

Comment

Finally replace my rear view mirror

It wasn't too hard, but I just wanted to add one tip to the instructions in the shop manual. First, remove the clear plastic lens; that is easy. Then there are four screws to be removed. Two are visible in the rear, but two are covered by a U-shaped plastic piece in the front. The shop manual just says to pry it off, but mine broke when I did that (old,brittle plastic). What you should do is stick a thin knifeblade between that piece and the side piece and pry outwards on the side piece while pulling down on the U-shaped piece.

Comment

Working...
              X