2005 Mazda 6 V6 Misfire With No Code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 Mazda 6 V6 Misfire With No Code?

What's up everybody? Long time no lurk. I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum or even on this site. But I decided to come here first because I used to be established here and I'm sure some of you guys are driving a Mazda 6 now.

My problem is that I have a misfire with no code. The same thing was happening a few months ago but it threw a code p0305. I replaced the number 5 coil and it was fine for a few days. Then it started happening again. But it won't throw a code. I'm not sure if that means another coil has gone bad and it just hasn't misfired enough times in a second or whatever it needs to throw a code, or if it's something else. But it is definitely missing bad, pretty much constantly. I don't want to spend the money to replace all of the coils right now because I cannot afford it. Is there a way to isolate this problem or should I just buy one new coil and replace them all one at a time to see which one fixes the problem? Could something be causing the coils to go bad aside from age? Could the bad coil just be a coincidence, and I need to look elsewhere? I know this is all a bit ambiguous but it's all I have to go off of at this point.

Thanks in advance,
    Richard

P.S.
    I still have the Probe and it doesn't run. Again. Gotta figure out how to have fun. Again...
    Currently: 1994 MX6 RS - KLZE. Too many mods.

1989 PGT - BLACK - Near perfect paint, body completely straight. 155,967 mi. Sitting in a garage since 2000. Bought for $600. Engine rebuild in progress. Coming soon to a kill story thread near you!!!

Those engines have problems with the catalytic converters failing and then ****ing the engine up, if you still have the stock cats on there.. ide start there
    1992 Mazda MX-3 GS - KLG4 Turbo

Scott

Comment

My brothers 05 v6 mazda6 was running like crap, especially if the a/c was on. I ended up replacing all the coils and plugs and then it ran like new again. I got the coils from rockauto.
      95 PGT Black, 93 PGT Black, 97 PGT Red (enduro car)
      07 MS6 Black, 06 MS6 White (wife's car)

Comment

Thanks guys.

Pile, the cat problem is more of a myth, according to my research. I heard about that when I was buying the car and looked into it. It didn't happen to very many engines and Mazda never felt the need to even acknowledge it, let alone issue a tsb. And with almost 205,000 miles, I think it would have already happened. I'm more worried about the fact that it still has those Takata airbags than clogged pre-cats...

So I went for a drive yesterday and to my luck it threw a code. Right after I decided to come back to PT and say something about it. Cylinder #4 misfire. I replaced the coil pack (only $51 at napa) and it runs like new again.

But now the friggin radio will not turn off when I open the door after removing the key. This problem is new after the car sat for the last 2 months (I've been driving the Taurus in the snow and ice). People have posted on 6 forums about this but nobody ever posts a result. Any ideas? Ignition switch?

1989 PGT - BLACK - Near perfect paint, body completely straight. 155,967 mi. Sitting in a garage since 2000. Bought for $600. Engine rebuild in progress. Coming soon to a kill story thread near you!!!

Comment

Stuck relay? The one that's supposed to click off when you open the door. Does the radio eventually shut off, mine will (Ford Fusion) after about 5-10 minutes eating lunch watching tv on my phone with the key off. If it does shut off in time, (the same amount of time each time,) the relay probably works and isn't stuck or sticking, and the door handle microswitch or door light circuit isn't triggering the relay to shut off. No diagram/armchair troubleshooting. Does the passenger door kill the radio?
          Probe out for Harambe
          94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Passenger door opening does not shut off radio and radio stays on all night. I turned it off but it still killed the battery sitting overnight. Today I pulled the room fuse so there is no drain while it sits. I didn't think about a stuck relay. Do you know where that relay is located?

Thank you,
            Richard

Comment

No idea where it would be. Under the dash or hood most likely, hopefully labeled in some way. You can try looking it up in the owner's manual.
              Probe out for Harambe

Comment

Do you know the name of the relay? I don't think the book will have it labeled as "the one that shuts off the radio when the door opens", lol. These darn newfangled cars... My F2 and KL powered cars never gave me any grief, (aside from the KL losing spark on an intermittent basis over the course of its entire life). I miss the simplicity of cars that came with radios that turn off without anything but the key being turned.

Comment

Your guess is as good as mine on what it's called. This is where a Mazda site with Mazda 6s could help you better. Someone should know more about that relay there. Maybe someone else here.
                  Probe out for Harambe

Comment

Fair enough.

I really appreciate the help. I'll report back once I figure it out.

Comment

Working...
                    X