1994 Ford probe gt build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by P1P View Post

I've beat the answer to this question so many times it sounds like a cherokee drum (In my Hobbs/Rocks voice)
    Yes you have. Many times you have said build the motor N/A, learn to tune it on MS and fix all the bugs for less of a headache when I throw the turbo kit on.

I still have to find out what piston and rod setup to run before that and then I still need my suspension setup so I can get the car back on the ground.

I'll do what you said first.

Originally posted by P1P View Post
    set your car up to run both E85 and Pump gas

also you can't run e85 on regular fuel lines for long periods of time e85 will eat them up over time
    I actually didn't know you could do that. Thread or link to this for our cars?

Originally posted by P1P View Post
    unless you roll racing 60 to 145mph you won't be happy with 600whp on the street there is a big difference between making power and making usable power

food for thought

the difference between a 800hp supra and a 1000hp supra a dyno sheet and money

there have been cases where a 800hp Supra has outran a 1000hp Supra

my opinion you want too much power to enjoy in a front wheel drive car
    I'm not really looking to race everybody on the street. I'll do a few pulls because of course I still have a lead foot lol but the 600whp goal is really for the track. I'll get a boost controller.

That's why I'm getting two sets of wheels/tires. I can always lower the boost for street purposes and turn it up for the track days. Still need a good tire for the street and track.

My show wheels are currently getting done. Those will be a surprise. Track wheels I'm still undecided.

I'm getting a roll cage done, back seat can go bye bye, looking for full black interior, still going air ride, Braum seats, seat belt harness, harness bar. The front will be getting king6 fab suspension parts, the rear is done just needs put back together and painted.

Comment

• you can run pump gas and you can run e85 it just depends on how you want to set it up

1 way you could do it is to use the stock fuel tank for pump gas and a fuel cell for e85 keep in mind you will need a separate fuel pump for each tank so you can switch between the 2. also you would need a separate tune for each type of fuel

run pump gas daily flip a switch run e85 on race night

Comment

you can run pump gas and you can run e85 it just depends on how you want to set it up

1 way you could do it is to use the stock fuel tank for pump gas and a fuel cell for e85 keep in mind you will need a separate fuel pump for each tank so you can switch between the 2. also you would need a separate tune for each type of fuel

run pump gas daily flip a switch run e85 on race night
        Hmmm I never really thought about that. So would I keep the stock lines for the stock fuel tank and separate lines for the fuel cell and e85?

How would all that even work? Would I need two of everything to run that? Would MS support that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanced4lyfe View Post
          Hmmm I never really thought about that. So would I keep the stock lines for the stock fuel tank and separate lines for the fuel cell and e85?

How would all that even work? Would I need two of everything to run that? Would MS support that?

can't really tell you about MS I have never use or studied the product

you gonna have to upgrade your fuel lines regardless to run E85

E85 maybe not as corrosive a pump gas but E85 contains a lot of water which in turn can cause rust in your fuel system over a period of time

that is why companies make specific fuel lines and fuel pumps for running e85

also if you gonna run e85 what are you gonna use to determine the content mixture for your specific tune (just cause it say E85 at the pump doesn't means its E85 going into your car a the time you are pumping gas it could be E70) E85 at the gas station can vary sometimes and a lot of people don't know this

Comment

• OP is a dreamer. Build won't happen imo.
            1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

• Still need about 4-5k to build the trans.....that's really where one would start if being serious about a 600whp probe thread. Guys gonna launch at the track and send g box all over it hahahaha.
              94 PGT
              [96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]

Comment

• ^^^ You should be listening to what was said here. Haven't heard a lot about how you intend to put that power to the ground. I saw M-factory -but I don't think that would do it. Are you talking about a $5000 gear set? You must be made of money because I could NEVER afford your dream list.

And also putting a gynormous turbo on it does not mean that you will hit 600hp. You don't think that Dan Sac tried? And I am not sure that he was ever able to bust the 500 mark. This seems to be the limit for these engines and yet you plan to hit 100 hp more?

If this logic holds true then this means that whatever the fastest quarter mile time right now is for top fuel (3.64 secs?) -could be quicker by a second or maybe even two? After all the gains are linear aren't they? And if that holds true then we should some day be able to time travel in our KL powered cars.
                Success is a measure of determination!
                Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
                $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
                Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
                Restoration of a legend

Comment

can't really tell you about MS I have never use or studied the product

you gonna have to upgrade your fuel lines regardless to run E85

E85 maybe not as corrosive a pump gas but E85 contains a lot of water which in turn can cause rust in your fuel system over a period of time

that is why companies make specific fuel lines and fuel pumps for running e85

also if you gonna run e85 what are you gonna use to determine the content mixture for your specific tune (just cause it say E85 at the pump doesn't means its E85 going into your car a the time you are pumping gas it could be E70) E85 at the gas station can vary sometimes and a lot of people don't know this
                  I just read an article about e85 vs. Meth kit. It explained the pros and cons about each. I'm still undecided even though e85 is the clear winner for power.

A member on here made 500whp on the snow performance stage 2 kit. I don't know that's a huge decision I really have to think about.

Originally posted by Brizzy View Post
                  OP is a dreamer. Build won't happen imo.
                  I've always wanted a car a unique car I can go all out on. It's always been one of my goals in life. I've had others I have tried with and they were failures because of lack of money or I totaled the car.

Now I have a great job that pays really well and my dreams or me being a dreamer can become reality. I can take my time with this build because I have two other perfectly fine running cars. My 03 civic ex coupe 5 speed and my 13 focus se auto tragic in which I'll be trading that in soon for another 5 speed vehicle with some umph to it.

I know it's a tall feat to my goals but it's not out of reach.

Thanks you for your opinion sir.

Originally posted by xrp861 View Post
                  Still need about 4-5k to build the trans.....that's really where one would start if being serious about a 600whp probe thread. Guys gonna launch at the track and send g box all over it hahahaha.
                  Mfactory protege gearsets $1500
                  Mfactory rebuild kit $299 already own
                  Mfactory lsd $749
                  Insane or dss axles TBD. Have to send in my axles for a quote
                  Clutch masters twin disk w/ flywheel $1440

Total for my transmission build (I'll be rebuilding it)

$4588. Cheaper than par gears alone. I'll take it! I threw in $600 for the axles might by $800 so you are right about that.

Ima just pull the trigger on the k1 rods thmotorsports has and call every reputable piston company asking for quotes then I'll make my decision on the pistons.

Comment

Mfactory protege gearsets $1500
                    Mfactory rebuild kit $299 already own
                    Mfactory lsd $749
                    Insane or dss axles TBD. Have to send in my axles for a quote
                    Clutch masters twin disk w/ flywheel $1440

Total for my transmission build (I'll be rebuilding it)

$4588. Cheaper than par gears alone. I'll take it! I threw in $600 for the axles might by $800 so you are right about that.
                    I still think that this isn't enough. Unless the Mfactory Protege gears solve the problem of the parts being too small or far too week for 600 hp -then I just don't see how you can do it.

Building a car is a lot more than just putting together a wish list of all the hype parts that you read about on the internet. I have seen so many people do this. Typically they make this big long list at the top of their threads and it is usually a VERY huge dream list.

Most of the time -these people that make these huge lists -have never put realistic prices on items and made a total and then figured out how much spare change they make and how many years it would take to fund this "dream" list. Unless you have a 100k job where you have lots of money to blow -I really do not see it happening. Going fast costs stupid amounts of money.

And then you must always consider -you will only get 10% or less back in return when you part it all out. Not a good investment -unless again -you are rich -or if you have sponsors.
                    Restoration of a legend

Comment

• Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
                      I still think that this isn't enough. Unless the Mfactory Protege gears solve the problem of the parts being too small or far too week for 600 hp -then I just don't see how you can do it.

Building a car is a lot more than just putting together a wish list of all the hype parts that you read about on the internet. I have seen so many people do this. Typically they make this big long list at the top of their threads and it is usually a VERY huge dream list.

Most of the time -these people that make these huge lists -have never put realistic prices on items and made a total and then figured out how much spare change they make and how many years it would take to fund this "dream" list. Unless you have a 100k job where you have lots of money to blow -I really do not see it happening. Going fast costs stupid amounts of money.

And then you must always consider -you will only get 10% or less back in return when you part it all out. Not a good investment -unless again -you are rich -or if you have sponsors.
                      There is a full thread on the mfactory gearset for the protege on here and has been confirmed that they fit in our cars no problems. They make a gearset thats rated for 500whp and that's the one Ima go with.

Trust me I have a huge dream list. I had it on here then I took it down and put it in my samsung notes with the prices of everything. I go back to that list and see what I'm buying next for this build. Yes expensive, that's why this build will take a very long time but in that very long time I come to this forum for advice, opinions and of course the great help each and every one of you give me.

Even if I am all over the place.

I knew before and I know now that this build will not be cheap whatsoever. I'm ready to spend the $$$$$$ on a $500 car that gets little to no recognition. This is my investment and I'm going through with it. Failure or not I'm determined to make it happen.

I'm not worried about what I'm getting back via part out or selling the car. This car will have sentimental value because it will be the first car I've actually completed. This car will be here to stay and I will always save a spot in my garage for her.

Comment

I'm not worried about what I'm getting back via part out or selling the car. This car will have sentimental value because it will be the first car I've actually completed. This car will be here to stay and I will always save a spot in my garage for her.
                        This is where the huge problem is. Your list is so huge and so expensive and you admit that it will take a long time. And then -life happens! You end up married and having kids -or end up having to support your mom, dad or grandparents. Then you need to get a bed for someone -or a dining room table -and your only cash cow is the parts that you have stashed. And then again -you will only get a small percentage of what you invested in time or cash.

Long winded projects have a seriously high risk of being parted out before finished. This is a fact. I have seen it over and over here on PT and especially with the younger guys who have not found life yet. But then it hits you in the face fast and hard.

My first project car was awesome. I was sinking tons of money into it. It was coming around very nicely and was even a possible Hot Rod Magazine front cover. But then I fell head-over-heals in love and got married. So then a couch and simple table were needed. There went my Yamaha 1100 XSGS Midnight Special with Kerker Header and Cams. Then twins came along and the car project came to a very quick halt. And then they both needed beds. Both needed clothes, toys high chairs, strollers, etc, etc, etc... So the project car was sold off 90% complete and for only a fraction of what I had invested in time and money.

I am now 56 years old as of the 23rd -and I am just now getting that same project car back into swing. However -I was smart along the way and anytime I had a bonus, extra non-expected cash, or sold something -I would turn around and purchase a small part and put it on the shelf to wait.

Two years ago I finally found a good replacement Triumph Spitfire to start with -and I am just now getting started. I have made a lot of money during these years between the first and this current. However -my wish list and my actual parts on shelves -do not come close to the value of what your list would if you were honest about it.

I am agreeing with one of the posts above -that it will see a part out before it sees completion. Life happens! So set your goals a little more realistically -and maybe you might be able to finish -even when you do get hit in the face with wife and kids.

Or if you already make 100K per year and you already have a house, furniture and money for future family -then by all means -go for it! But from the looks of things -where you live and the current progress that I am seeing on the car -I don't think the above is accurate.

I currently make around 60K per year -and my kids have grown up and moved out. I have all the furniture I need. I am fairly well set -and I would not make a list like yours -because I could not afford it. Lists like that are for rich people or people that have nobody but themselves and never will. Do you want to live alone for the rest of your life?
                        Last edited by KLZE Porsche; January 26, 2018, 01:01 PM.
                        Restoration of a legend

Comment

• I say go for it brother. From what I've read through it seems like you are pretty set on going for it. Continue to do research. I've had one of these around since I started driving, was my first car. I myself will be doing a build in time but I have stuff acquired already and need a different car for a better body starting point.

P1P has posted a vary good point to stay focused and not start bouncing around. I made kind of the same mistake when I was younger and now it's leading to needing a different one. I have MS and I would start na then go from there. I'm not turbo but I do use nitrous.

Klze had brought up a point that has scared me for years about making really more power than I can make with n2o. That is the transmission. It seems like you have researched that and looks like it may work. I do know that our cases aren't that great either and had me considering gutting the car and converting to rwd. I would still try to limit launches from a stop.

You will be alright just stay focused and patient. My boys are getting a little older now so I myself may be able to start shopping around for another car and start swapping crap over.

Good luck my friend!
                          1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
                          2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
                          99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

• This isn't a mustang. Making a big mod list, and buying expensive parts is not going to make 600whp. If you started at 300whp I may have seen it happening, but 600? Ain't going to happen.
                            1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

• As for the final HP output I haven't had any first hand experience on trying to add crazy power to the kl, but I would imagine hitting 600 would maybe possible but not going to say whether or not it can be done without some drastic measures and machining as well. Over boring, decking, forced induction, hell of a tune ect. Before deciding on pistons with a goal like that I would get some thoughts from an engine shop and explain to them what you are trying to accomplish. Be sure to do all your homework before purchasing anything. Speed = money. How fast do you want to go?

When I end up building mine up I'll be happy at around 300-400hp, but then again at that point I start to worry about the trans and I really am not interested in dropping loads of cash on the trans. I just want really more importantly to look good and remain reliable. Not in it to go stomp on it all the time anymore, more for something to take to the car cruises when they take place. Really think it over and talk to anybody and everybody because if it is possible it will not be an easy peasy go buy a list of parts and bolt them up. It will take some attention to detail and cash. The transmission is what scares the shit out of me..

As klze stated as well life goes happen. I started putting my car together when I was younger. I was like I want power, and a body kit, and paint, oh and a suspension. It was a mess then the paint job was wack since I tried to get stuff cheap and got what I paid for since is not focused. Then wife and kids happened and I make good money along with her as well and the car still sat untouched for 10 years. It just can't be stressed enough to get as much info as possible, talk to machinist see where you are going to be at then you can decide if it is feasible for you to do so, but do not order or purchase anything until then or that may very well possibly limit what you are going to make HP wise or without eating mistake money.
                              Last edited by Level 9; January 26, 2018, 06:25 PM.
                              1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
                              2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
                              99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

• 3 to 400? What exactly are these goals for ?

A 250whp kl will run 13s and be uber reliable. 3 to 400, not so much. Just saying...
                                1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

Working...
                                X