Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Probe GT with computer issues

Hey all,

This is my first post on this forum and also my first probe. I bought my girl off Craigslist a couple months back and since I've been trying to get her back to working order. Mechanically the car is fairly sound, but whoever had the car before me did some not so professional wiring to install his aftermarket alarm system, sound system, and a mysterious blue box (pic below).

http://imgur.com/a/MTHpd
    (any ideas? labelled "95 Ford Probe")

At first code readers wouldnt even come on when plugged in, so after changing some fuses (Fuse 8 Audio ) and verifying we had power to the data link connector with a multimeter, the computer finally showed us something: 8 codes, then only 1, then only 1 again. Among some in the first 8 were ECU malfunction, so this kind of makes sense.

Also to note the airbag and ABS lights are both on, and I have a feeling they aren't working. Also looking up the standard pinout for the data link connector I looks that pin 3 is empty when it shouldn't be? I know this can vary by car.

My main concern in replacing the ECU is that this problem is coming from the wiring itself, but I'm no electrician. The wires leading up to the ECU have been tampered with (pictured below) and if you're willing to read this out:

http://imgur.com/a/alPWM

The previous owner had removed the check engine light bulb, and I believe done something to make the data link connector not read codes. He had done an EGR delete, pulled the cat, and put on an aftermarket air intake and exhaust. I'm not saying any of this is good or bad, but I live in NY, so we have pretty strict standards for inspections and emmisions. So far the car has been turned around by every mechanic for inspection because they couldn't read its codes. I'm curious to try again now that it seems to be getting power to the connector, but its reading an EGR code right now (which makes sense).

This car so far has been quite the journey, but I've really fallen in love with the Probe, and I like the community dedicated to keeping them on the road. If anyone has any tips or ideas as to where some of its problems might lie, please send it along. I want this car to ride again.

TLDR/Primary question: what ECUs will work for a 96 2.5L V6 manual tran GT?

Thanks a million!

The blue box in the first picture looks like the airbag computer. I believe this blinks an error code when the car is on if there is a problem.

You should be able to get the abs codes by grounding the TBS pin on the diagnostics plug under the hood and turning the car into the "run" position without the engine running. (at least that is how it is done with the OBD1).

I dont know for sure about the ECUs though. I would imagine one from a 96-97 626, mx6, or probe V6 MTX would work but I cant say I have every personally tried.

Comment

You might also want to thoroughly check that wiring before trying a new ECU.
      In the picture of the wires there are exposed wires as well as solder that could easily short if they touch any metal on the car.

This thread may help:
      https://forums.probetalk.com/showthr...p?p=1924078146
      Last edited by mgomez; June 5, 2017, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mgomez, I had stumbled across that post before and found it really useful to see what wires he was playing with. To anyone else with this model-year the 97 diagrams are in fact the same. Oddly enough he played mostly with the ones that went to the systems he had been tampering with as well.

I think you're right that tidying up that wiring would be the first step before replacing the ECU, that isn't the only place where there are exposed/soldered wires due to modifications, there are also some by the steering column and the radio.

Would one short around there be able to fry the ECU?

PS: the model number of the ECU in there now is KLC9, not sure if anyone is familar with these.

Comment

I am not sure about the ECU models. Someone else might know though.

As for being fried you could take out the ECU and open it up to look for anything obvious, like a leaking capacitor or a burnt diode.

Have you been able to pull any codes from the ecu now that the connector has power?

Comment

Looks like there are a few out there, if it helps its a manual, not sure if its a KLZE or KLDE model. Guess taking it out wouldn't be bad idea. It was spitting codes, EGR code most consistently. The others I didn't get written down because it never displayed them again.

Comment

Blue Box in first picture is definitely the airbag module from under the dash. (I had to replace mine.)
              I can't help you with the rest, sorry. Good luck.

Comment

Yeah don't plug the blue box back in without disconnecting the battery for at least a half hour. General safety when dealing with airbag systems. Shouldn't disconnect it with power on either. If it came from another car and you didn't have the airbag light on (previously) the box was probably replaced for that one diode or resistor that gives a code 51 when it burns out. Be careful you should look up more airbag safety stuff before messing with it.
                Probe out for Harambe
                94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

I've been out of the Probe game for quite a while, so this is mostly just guess work, but I do remember 96 being the period for OBDII switchover on these cars, so I would verify that first. I also vaguely remember ECU differences between drivetrains. So unfortunately I believe you may be stuck with only 96-97 OBDII MTX ECU's as an option unless you decide to run a 3rd party solution or have a pre-OBDII build date.
                  I used to have a sig :'(

Comment

Working...
                  X