X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Earthquake in Indonesia

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_weax.html

Magnitude 8.2 NORTHERN SUMATRA, INDONESIA

WOW, cnn.com says this is likely to cause another very destructive Tsunami. Poor indonesians can't get a break, I hope they had more warning this time!!!!
    89 PGT RIP
    Currently: 87 Supra Targa Turbo, lightly modded. DD=92 Diamante, bone stock. Miss the PGT.

Comment

Thats terrible.

I hope this time they get away from the coast as fast as possible.

Comment

wow, 8.7, that's some major shakes.
        that country's gonna be wiped out by the time it's done.
        NoclssGT.com
        PhotoPOC
        DaddyPOC
        1997 Ford Probe GT MTX, 2009 Mazda6i MTX, 2007 Jeep Commander 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by f2tlover
          Poor indonesians can't get a break, I hope they had more warning this time!!!!
          They told them last week another big one was going to happen. I'd think that's ample warning. And hopefully, the people have the common sense to run the next time the shoreline gets sucked 150 feet away.
          Last edited by lakersfan1; March 28, 2005, 03:44 PM.

Comment

This kind of crap is just going to get more and more repetative. The earth goes through cycles because as a planet starts out its consantly getting closer to sel destruction. The natural causes of the atmosphere deteriorating and all the other bad crap that we do to the planet just makes these national disasster type stuff more likely to happen. The weather gets worse all the time. When I was little I remember it snowing from november all the way thru March and we never saw the grass until spring time. Every year it gets warmer and we have more earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, and volcanic eruptions. Things are changing at a VERY slow rate but its still noticable. Man I sound like a weather nerd, guess I cant hide it heh. Anyway yes its not surprising they had another one since the plates are shifting and moving this often. Anyday now san fran is gonna fall into the ocean hehe.
            Dan Brown - 1995 Turbo PGT ~ SOLD ~
            287whp & 307lb-ft. @ 10.5psi & 12* Timing

Comment

What the hell just happened? Did we just get our annual speech from our Greenpeace representative? I thought yesterday was Easter, not Arbor Day.

Comment

terrible news.

btw, did anyone elses' eyes go crosseyed from looking at the top banner (blue and red) of that website? jeez.
                -Trent
                MX6.com Lounge Moderator
                -1993 Mazda MX6 LS with KLZE swap, mx3 flywheel, B&M short shifter, eibach lowering springs. All work performed by myself in my driveway.
                -1993 Mazda MX6 RS. Daily driver. (ATX = boo...hiss)

Comment

Originally posted by groghscv
                  This kind of crap is just going to get more and more repetative. The earth goes through cycles because as a planet starts out its consantly getting closer to sel destruction. The natural causes of the atmosphere deteriorating and all the other bad crap that we do to the planet just makes these national disasster type stuff more likely to happen. The weather gets worse all the time. When I was little I remember it snowing from november all the way thru March and we never saw the grass until spring time. Every year it gets warmer and we have more earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, and volcanic eruptions. Things are changing at a VERY slow rate but its still noticable. Man I sound like a weather nerd, guess I cant hide it heh. Anyway yes its not surprising they had another one since the plates are shifting and moving this often. Anyday now san fran is gonna fall into the ocean hehe.
                  Since we're making completely clueless, wild, assertions, I'm gonna play too. I think it was the Chinese. A secret message went out to the entire population that at a certain time, everybody in the country was to jump up and down at the same time. The effect of over 1 billion people jumping and landing at the same time is what caused the earthquake. They caused the tsunamis also. They were trying to target the US with the quake, but they keep missing. But just wait, their timing will improve. With less than 300 million people, we have no chance of retaliating. Although we have obesity on our side, only half our population is of the proper "jumping age". We're screwed guys, San Fran is soooo falling off into the ocean.

Alin

Comment

We didn't have more hurricanes ... we just had more landfalling, catastrophic hurricanes.
                    Anyway, that's really unfortunate. That's a big quake!
                    Sabrina
                    I drive a Neon - 2004 Dodge SRT-4
                    FlaPOC - Honorary NPA!
                    SkipE - MM7's Best Rolling Wreck

Comment

Wow, the earth really kicks our asses when it wants to.
                      1994PGT SOLD
                      1991MX6GTSOLD New Dyno 12psi: 190whp 261tq

1997 F-250HD 7.5 (sold)
                      2010 Nissan ArmaaahhhDaaah 4x4 SE w/ limited slip
                      1995 Mazda 626 ES 5spd (SOLD). 1999 LEXUS RX300 AWD

Comment

Originally posted by groghscv
                        dude. what the hell are you talking about? the earthis no where near self destruction [as long as something doesn't trigger it]. it still has several billion years left. natural cycles? yes. and yes, that is what is causing the planet to warm. sure, we're not helping, but we're certainly not the *main* cause of the planet getting warmer. it's a natural cycle.

one thing i think is funny, is if something like this were to happen in the US, all the crazy raghead extremists would be all praising allah for punishing us for being sinners blah blah blah, but, how do they explain something like this? these 2 huge earthquakes in [correct me if i'm wrong] larely muslim area's. not implying that this has anything to do with it, but they [terrorist assholes] would if it hit the US.
                        When I was your age, Pluto was a planet

Comment

Who gives a shit about Indonesia??? I don't.
                          Mama said "Yo email address don't work!"

Comment

originally posted by xTSTONEx
                            Who gives a shit about Indonesia??? I don't.
                            that's nice. well then go and find something you do care about instead of making rude, insensitive comments like that. TONS of people have lost their lives over there, and it's a hundred times worse for the survivors to pull their butts out and get back on their feet than it is for us over here in the U.S. because they're so much less wealthy/fortunate than us.

my prayers go out to those people. if there is a tsunami, hopefully the warning will have been enough for them. i can't stand the thought of another tragedy happening to them in so short a time.
                            ~ Erin ~
                            "When my fist clenches, crack it open before I use it and lose my cool.
                            When I smile, tell me some bad news before I laugh and act like a fool.
                            And if I swallow anything evil, put your finger down my throat.
                            And if I shiver, please give me a blanket; keep me warm, let me wear your coat."

Comment

I can't stand the thought that we're all sitting here comfortably reading about this (or adding our prayers to the tens of millions of prayers already being sent out) when we might be helping these people some other way. If you really want something to be done, don't just pray and rely on God to do it for you, because that's not only lazy, it's putting a hell of a lot of faith into an entity who (if He/She) exists has a lot to answer already.

Go out and volunteer. Send in money or a care package. Donate blood if it's needed. Do something to support the people who need it, don't just ignore their plight by saying "I'll pray for them" or "I'm so sorry this happened." If I could I'd be on a plane over there to help out.

Oh. And why are we focusing on Indonesia again? There are still people in the US who can't afford to fill the three most basic human needs - food, shelter and clothing - in a manner considered "appropriate" to most of us. There are still others who are uncounted (check the US Census bureau's list of people they can't count income for) and some who are living above the government-defined poverty level but may not have what anyone would call a comfortable life.

if we're so worried about helping people we may as well start with our neighbors. I'm sure everyone can think of that one kid in school who got new clothes from the school nurse and didn't have a computer. The one who rode his bike to school because his parents couldn't afford to fix the car... meh.

I'm sorry, you got me started. I'll shut up with the over-righteous hypocritical bullshit. After all, I'm not helping much either.
                              "Tell all the truth but tell it slant / Success in circuit lies..." ~ Emily Dickinson

Comment

Working...
                              X