Coolant reservoir hose leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant reservoir hose leaking

So before my Probe stopped starting, I had an issue with the worn hoses going from the small black tank on the driver's side of the radiator to the top of the coolant reservoir leaking. Replaced the old ones and added screw type clamps to make sure the hoses did not come loose. I was driving it today and noticed a smell of hot coolant again. I checked around only to find the coolant was leaking in the same exact spot...I even teflon taped the two ends where it connects with the plastic connector in the middle in front of the battery. Did I miss a step or something? I'm confused as to HOW it could start leaking again after I tefloned AND clamped the two ends of the hose down snug. Tried yanking on the hose just to make sure and they are on TIGHT...But yet somehow still leaking...The replacement hose I used is maybe 3 weeks old.

Basically, I know the what and where, I just don't know the HOW or the WHY especially after I replaced it and then took extra measures to make sure it did not happen again...
    Last edited by ScottF; December 3, 2017, 01:12 PM.

Anyone??

Comment

The tank probably has a small crack in it and expands when it gets hot and leaks.
      93 PGT
      94 PGT
      95 PGT
      07 MS6

Comment

Originally posted by ZE-Infused View Post
        The tank probably has a small crack in it and expands when it gets hot and leaks.
        I checked both. The one on the top of the radiator and the overflow tank, no cracks found. It is specifically from the hose at the point where it connects to the small tank with the cap on it. It's weird given the measures I took to make sure it would not leak

Comment

My guess: there's a blockage where the hose enters the coolant reservoir. So the hose gets pressurised and leaks.

To test my guess: when you squeeze the top radiator hose, do you hear bubbling in the coolant reservoir? If yes, my guess is wrong.

Comment

No, there is no bubbling. No overheating or spikes in temp while driving. The only issues I ever had with overheating was when I needed a new water pump back in 2015 and on that the leakage was obvious LOL

Comment

Air Separator may be leaking

After getting my Probe running after sitting for 20 months, I noticed my separator tank was leaking (black plastic reservoir that the radiator cap attaches to). I only noticed after driving around the block a few times as pressure and heat built up. I am repairing with JB Weld as after sanding down a previous patch attempt, I uncovered a small crack at the seam. I am confidence that JB Weld will seal it up, but will not know until I reinstall and test. Good luck.
              my email address is NOT working!

Comment

Originally posted by shdtree95 View Post
                After getting my Probe running after sitting for 20 months, I noticed my separator tank was leaking (black plastic reservoir that the radiator cap attaches to). I only noticed after driving around the block a few times as pressure and heat built up. I am repairing with JB Weld as after sanding down a previous patch attempt, I uncovered a small crack at the seam. I am confidence that JB Weld will seal it up, but will not know until I reinstall and test. Good luck.
                In my case, it does not appear to be coming from that separator tank but the actual hose itself. I looked at it very closely and wiped it off with a rag just so I could be sure where it was coming from and it is infact coming from the hose

Comment

Did you just check the tank and the nipple the hose attaches to as well? That nipple may be cracked. Also is the hose you used tight to put on before clamping? Also what kind of hose is being used (coolant, pcv, trans line, fuel injection hose)?

Assure hose fits snugly prior to clamp, do not over tighten the clamp and I wouldn't use the teflon. Also double check that nipple for cracks.
                  1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
                  2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
                  99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

Is the cap good? If you're sure it's the hose get some new hose. Then check it again.
                    Probe out for Harambe
                    94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

I'm with everyone that says bad/cracked nipple/faulty tank, or bad cap. Happened to me, so i bought every single spare tank at the local JY. MUAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA (dr evil style).

Comment

I had a leak there too, and just got a new tank. Problem solved.
                        95 Probe GT -- 24 Hours of LeMons race car!
                        Our teams Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

Comment

Working...
                        X