SBPGT's Turbo build...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WhiteDart View Post
    I would think using a traditional I/C setup with a spray bar would be a littler better in hot ass AZ. Once a water/air setup's water is heat soaked its pretty much useless.
    have you ever met sbpgt?

He did opt for the biggest heat exchanger he could fit up in front though.
    1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
    1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
    2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
    2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
    1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Picked up some more parts today...

Originally posted by WhiteDart View Post
      I would think using a traditional I/C setup with a spray bar would be a littler better in hot ass AZ. Once a water/air setup's water is heat soaked its pretty much useless.
      Hmm, the good ole W/A intercooler myth... why do people think that W/A intercoolers get heat soaked but never say that about A/A intercoolers? Small, stock OEM W/A setups, are known to have problems and are upgraded, but so are most stock OEM A/A setups.

W/A intercoolers have very low pressure drop, less that 2' of intercooler piping, when not under boost the intercooler(along with the front heat exchanger) is also cooling the water, when the car is not moving the fan is cooling the water, water draws out heat better than air...

I doubt that they are useless, if someone like Nelson Racing Engines use them on their 1000-2000HP engines, as do others...
      Nelson Racing W/A Intercoolers
      SSC Ultimate Aero W/A intercoolers
      Bugatti Veyron W/A Intercoolers
      Underground Racing W/A Intercoolers
      Last edited by SBPGT; July 14, 2017, 11:54 PM.
      Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
      STEVE B
      1993 Probe GT
      2016 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by SBPGT View Post
        Outlaw Eng Spacers
        Might not want to use these, these are the cause of many boost leaks. I don't think this are very effective to begin with but since you are using a water to air intercooler that should be more than enough to offset any gains from the spacers.
        ///M-POC
        SENSLES 448whp at 24psi Built by Me, Tuned by SHAODOME

Flyrtle 6 - Best 2nd Gen Probe
        MMX - PRD BEST of Show and 1st Place Unlimited Class
        MM8 - PRD BEST of Show

Comment

I know that they work in keeping the manifold cooler. Tested them side by side with a stock Probe w/o spacers. As far as HP gains? When I would race someone back to back, by the third race my car was pulling away instead of side by side. I know there could have been other factors too.

My car is N/A right now, and I also know about the possible leaks with them on a boosted car. My strut bar will not fit with them on, either.
          Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
          STEVE B
          1993 Probe GT
          2016 Mustang

Comment

They dont work in my opinion and they disrupt injector flow.
            1992 Mazda MX-3 GS - KLG4 Turbo

Scott

Comment

So you're living in an apartment and have nowhere to work on the car.....this is going to take a while!

All of those parts are just as useful to me as they are to you, and I don't even have a Probe anymore. Countdown to the "Parts for sale" thread.....hehehehe jk man

btw, those pipes looks awfully shiny for being "used." Previous owner must have overestimated himself.
              1996 Boysenberry Probe GT MTXtreme
              2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
              2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

Nice build, what turbo are you going with?
                john palmer get at me on facebook.
                89pgt plenty of mods on the way.
                http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l507/93probeanator/

Comment

Looks like you go to your garage and pick up some parts from there and take them to your living room to take some pictures... uuuhaaahaaa
                  What else are you hiding from us??
                  This thread is getting more and more interesting every time when I visit.
                  Last edited by supercharged3.0; December 27, 2012, 10:02 AM.

Comment

By the way, the W/A intercooler is a great idea, I have been looking at it for 1 year, but I could not install not even a single one because of the luck of space inside the engine bay.
                    Having a big heat exchanger in the front is big plus, that will help alot.

Comment

Originally posted by supercharged3.0 View Post
                      Looks like you go to your garage and pick up some parts from there and take them to your living room to take some pictures... uuuhaaahaaa
                      You missed the part where he said he doesn't have a garage. He takes them out of the box, puts them on his floor (which is very nice for an apartment) to take a picture, then I assume he puts them back in the box.
                      2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
                      2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

Originally posted by spada View Post
                        You missed the part where he said he doesn't have a garage. He takes them out of the box, puts them on his floor (which is very nice for an apartment) to take a picture, then I assume he puts them back in the box.
                        I see.... But he takes the boxes from somewhere, right??

Comment

Originally posted by 93probeanator View Post
                          Nice build, what turbo are you going with?
                          GT3076R

Originally posted by spada View Post
                          So you're living in an apartment and have nowhere to work on the car.....this is going to take a while!

All of those parts are just as useful to me as they are to you, and I don't even have a Probe anymore. Countdown to the "Parts for sale" thread.....hehehehe jk man

btw, those pipes looks awfully shiny for being "used." Previous owner must have overestimated himself.
                          Did you read my sig...

No, I just need to wait for the next one of these...
                          http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701299600

The turbo pipes are slightly used. You can see the dent in the crossover pipe, and the EGR tube was broken. I had it welded shut.

I plan to at least get the car running on the MS and tuned while I finish buying the rest of the turbo parts. I've talked to someone about making some custom equal length turbo pipes, he will be the one fabricating the IC pipes, too.
                          STEVE B
                          1993 Probe GT
                          2016 Mustang

Comment

That's more like it. Now your sig is realistic! haha
                            2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
                            2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

Originally posted by lilpavel View Post
                              I don't think this are very effective to begin with but since you are using a water to air intercooler that should be more than enough to offset any gains from the spacers.
                              Again, I found out first hand that they are very effective in reducing the IM temps. I heard a weird noise from the engine bay, like an vacuum or exhaust leak after parking from driving the car for a few hours. I was able to look behind the engine while supporting myself with my hand on the IM. As I reached behind the TB to check some things, I burned my arm on the TB. It still has the 'coolant' lines heating up the TB. The IM was cool enough to rest my hand on while the TB was hot enough to burn me. (I took a pic of the burn makes but decided not post a pic.) I should get some readings with mac1's laser temp gun someday...

P.S. I was in a car accident last week, so I now have to spend $500 on my deductible to get my Focus fixed. I'm currently using my Probe as my DD. $500 that could have gone to the turbo I was going to buy next week...
                              Last edited by SBPGT; January 1, 2013, 07:03 AM.
                              STEVE B
                              1993 Probe GT
                              2016 Mustang

Comment

Originally posted by SBPGT View Post
                                Again, I found out first hand that they are very effective in reducing the IM temps. I heard a weird noise from the engine bay, like an vacuum or exhaust leak after parking from driving the car for a few hours. I was able to look behind the engine while supporting myself with my hand on the IM. As I reached behind the TB to check some things, I burned my arm on the TB. It still has the 'coolant' lines heating up the TB. The IM was cool enough to rest my hand on while the TB was hot enough to burn me. (I took a pic of the burn makes but decided not post a pic.) I should get some readings with mac1's laser temp gun someday...

P.S. I was in a car accident last week, so I now have to spend $500 on my deductible to get my Focus fixed. I'm currently using my Probe as my DD. $500 that could have gone to the turbo I was going to buy next week...
                                I would be interested to see some temps of the intake manifold with and without the spacers. Maybe do a test after a hard pull or a couple minutes of highway driving.
                                96' MX6

Comment

Working...
                                X