Spring and Struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring and Struts

I am just looking for some input and advice on a spring and strut setup to upgrade from stock on my '94 PGT

I am not looking to do coil-over due to the firmness and the condition of the roads where I live. I am not doing autocross, its just my daily that I do take on curvy, complicated roads with quick transfers. I want to lower it less than 2 inches, preferably 1.2-1.75 in the front and a little less its the rear just to take out the body roll and to fit my wheels a little more attractively. Not looking for a whole lot stiffer than stock.

I will probably go for the Tein S-techs, seen them elsewhere on the forum and have the lowering and rates I want, unless someone has a better recommendation for a similar price. My big issues is finding good struts for a reasonable price. The Tokico HBs would be nice, but not looking to spend $600 on just struts, or maybe I'm just being to cheap. KYB Excel-G GR2s look to have good rating and good prices, but I really want to get someone opinions on the KYBs and some other ideas and recommendations, also websites included for prices.

Thank you very much for any help or input.
    Last edited by g98swc; May 1, 2017, 08:35 PM.

Don't lower a car on stock struts. They will blow out in a relatively short amount of miles. This includes stock replacements like the KYB or Stagg struts out there.

Your biggest problem is, any lowering will be a harsher ride. Tokico blues with springs cost similar to entry level coil overs out there.

For what you are looking to do, Tokico and a mild lowering spring is your best bet. I haven't kept up with who makes springs for the car still, but I think Meagan Racing still does. All in all your're still looking at 850, for something that doesn't rattle your teeth. If you replace your strut mounts, bearings and bump stops you creep to near 1000.

Entry level Ksports are 1100. If you can find some teins, good luck. They are out of production and last I check were getting pretty rare.
    ¡Renewed Vigor!

Comment

Tokicos are definitely one of my top choices. Anyone hear anything about Pro Comp struts?

Comment

I just purchased the last set of TEIN S Tech springs that TEIN had in stock. Or as far as I can tell, that's what I did. Because they had "one in stock" and now they're out of stock.

Going to put them on my old Tokico Illuminas for now. It's been a decade since I've actually bothered to see if there's anything better.
        Jin "Time Traveler" Kim
        chrono@chrono.org
        http://www.chrono.org
        '95 PGT own
        '06 Mazdaspeed 6
        '13 Evolution GSR
        '90/'91 PGT owned

Comment

So from my experience, this biggest issue in terms of struts blowing when using lowering springs is with the spring rates being too high for the strut to handle. However, given your interest in having softer springs (which I think is the right course of action with a DD), you can probably get away with using a stockish strut.

I actually have a set for sale that will fit your needs perfectly! haha. They are Sprint front springs and Intrax rear. This is the best all around combination for lowering and ride quality. I had these on my car for a bit and have only moved away because the car is no longer a DD and has been completely gutted to save weight.
          Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
          Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
          Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
          The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

Just wanted to give an update and ask something. I found and immediately purchased a FR Tokico illumina strut for $20.00 with shipping on Amazon. I got it in the mail and it is legit and in perfect condition. I just wanted to share that in case anyone else is looking. I just need to find a FL and both rears. Anyone know a site or place where i can get the others (3082 and 3083). The cheapest I have found is Andy's Autosport or SFX performance. Know any others?

Comment

just buy yonakas and call it a day. fully adjustable just need 4 new mounts for them. and coil over sleeves are not the way to go you lose piston travel and between that and the crazy high spring rate it does make the ride harsh but if your front end is blown tf out it will ride like that anyways. i run a sleeve kit and once i can its gone and in the scrap pile they go.... you get exactly what you pay for. yonakas are a good starting point imo between them and new mounts youd be maybe 700 tops in cost.
              94 PGT
              [96 PGT FuLL OBD2 WiRe HaRNeSS] ]KL31 SHoRT BLoCK & CaMS] [KL1C MaF SWap] [CuRVe NeCK MaNiFoLD] [KL68 TB] [Hei & MSD BLaSTeR 2] [Cai] [SS HeaDeRS] [STS] [R&R PoLY F&R MouNT & SHiFTeR iNSeRTS] [STaGe 2 CLuTCH] [FiDaNZa FLYWHeeL] [eGR DeLeTe] [FuLL a/C DeLeTe] [CoiLoVeRS] [RX8 WHeeLS oN 225/45/18]

Comment

Working...
              X