No announcement yet.

SBPGT's Turbo build...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a little test fitting to see where things might go...

Now that I was able to see what I had to work with I can start making brackets, and mounting stuff. I should be able to make some lower brackets that bolt up to the lower A/C condenser tabs. I need to add some relays and make the wiring for the I/C fans and water pump.

I also want to add an oil cooler and small PS cooler.
    Last edited by SBPGT; July 15, 2017, 12:16 AM.
    Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
    STEVE B
    1993 Probe GT
    2016 Mustang

Comment

Not much to update...

Still ordering parts for Dan. O2 bungs for tuning each bank and one for the down pipe. Flex pipe and 45 degree pipe to attach WG to down pipe. New exhaust gaskets and heat shielding.

Once I finish the WG pipes, I can send all the turbo pipes out to get coated. While I wait for those (3-4 weeks), I'll start on the fuel setup.

Also just about finished the heat exchanger mounting...

I need to get a bar front bumper support like this one below, so can haz more room.

Last edited by SBPGT; July 15, 2017, 12:18 AM.
      Currently buying all my parts for my future part-out thread...https://forums.probetalk.com/core/im.../icon_look.gif
      STEVE B
      1993 Probe GT
      2016 Mustang

Comment

Making some room...

Relocate fan/fog light harness...

Quick, lame, temporary wire tuck...

Test fit...

Air flow to the radiator from upper bumper opening...

Fans did not fit behind heat exchanger. If moved forward, bumper support would be in the way of the hose fittings. Also not sure if the heat from the radiator right next to the fan motors would be a good idea?

Mounted the fans in front of the heat exchanger.

Wasn't able to get any thing else done, had to pack up for the night...
        Last edited by SBPGT; July 15, 2017, 12:21 AM.
        STEVE B
        1993 Probe GT
        2016 Mustang

Comment

Where did you buy the turbo parts, plz....thanks

Comment

Not much going on. I lost my job in June, so everything is on hold. Spent some time messing with the injectors I bought back then from KLZE Porsche.

Time to change the RX-7 pintle caps to correct the flow for the KL.

Use the open/round part of the pliers with the teeth, not the flat ends. Pull and twist the cap off. Doesn't take much effort.

Slide the o-ring and the old filter basket off and replace. Use an injector cap and some kind of vise to install the new cap.

Not much pressure is needed. The cap will pop on once the cap's lip passes over the groove on the injector.

Now your RX-7 injectors flow will be split for the KL's dual ports instead of a single stream on the RX-7 port.

The new caps may change the flow rate, but at 900cc @ 33psi(1033cc @ 43psi) there should still be enough flow.

Here are the finished injectors, caps, and pig-tails ready to go...

It sucks having all this free time to work on the build, but no income to finish it! I just need to get pump, AFPR, fittings and hoses. A little welding and install everything(and a place to do it all).

Question: If the injectors are capable of more flow than I'll need, would it even be necessary to get a new hi-flow pump? Running with a lower psi and lower duty cycle, would the stock pump have any problems running on a turbo'ed engine?
            Last edited by SBPGT; July 15, 2017, 12:48 AM.
            STEVE B
            1993 Probe GT
            2016 Mustang

Comment

i don't think your logic is correct there, the injectors will still need the same amount of fuel as smaller ones in this aspect. the pump is the injector's supply and you will still be using the same amount of fuel

it will just be done more efficiently and safer with the big injectors vs smaller ones.

at least that is how i understand it
              95 mx6 with a 4 lug swap
              Built, Not Bought.
              No, my username is Not from that stupid movie.

Comment

I figured I would need a new pump anyway. It was just thought I had while I posting.

I just assumed that there would be less pressure (pumps flow more at lower pressure, right?) and the lower duty cycle of the bigger injectors would deliver the needed fuel in shorter/more volume squirts. So running at 33psi instead of 43 psi might let the pump flow more. But, with the AFPR and boost it would be back up near the stock 43psi.
                STEVE B
                1993 Probe GT
                2016 Mustang

Comment

basically either way you will be using more fuel under boost, more fuel is what the stock pump usually can't do, plus you can find a walbro 255 regularly for under $80-$90 so its almost a no brainer tbh

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

as a matter of fact i'd sell you my 255 for 55 shipped. going back to stock so i wn't need it
                  95 mx6 with a 4 lug swap
                  Built, Not Bought.
                  No, my username is Not from that stupid movie.

Comment

Did some basic calculations: (using my engines hp output, boost required, B.S.F.C. of .6, also included a 5 psi pumping loss between pump and rails for extra safety.)

Don't know the stock pump's flow specs
                    A 190ltr/hr pump will be about maxed out around 360 Crank HP
                    A 255ltr/hr pump will be about maxed out around 500 Crank HP
                    Both pumps will supply more fuel for a little more HP if you have a constant 13.5 volts.

The required fuel flow will be different for everyone, depending the the amount of HP, base fuel pressure, B.S.F.C. and boost you'll be running(increased fuel pressure 1:1 per boost).
                    STEVE B
                    1993 Probe GT
                    2016 Mustang

Comment

WOW, almost 2 YEARS!

Starting to work on the car again, except it's gonna be 120 degrees this weekend!

Doing a few other side projects in the mean time...

Stripping some tar with the oscillating multi-tool. I think I'm going to try the dry ice on the next part?

Cleaning up the ZE manifold.

Also, noticed when I removed the fuel rails, 2 of the hold down bolts weren't even tightened down!

In the Probe owner's "make it yourself" world... I made some wooden V-blocks for my camshafts.

They are for holding the cams while I mic them out. I can use it to check if there is any bow to the cams, runout and lobe lift. When I measured this cam(the one that was in my car) everything mic'ed out dead nominal.

Cleaning up the cam caps too... I lightly used some wet 2000 grit and polished them, but may need a little more sanding?

I wonder how many people just throw in their new cams and go, without checking them. I want to make sure the regrinds are straight and and the journals are in spec. If I have to modify the cam caps too much for the regrinds, then I won't be able to reinstall the stock cams later if I want to.

Also, bought a EGR block off plate. Plan to remove all the EGR junk, vacuum solenoids, and clean up some wiring.
                      Last edited by SBPGT; July 15, 2017, 07:11 PM.
                      STEVE B
                      1993 Probe GT
                      2016 Mustang

Comment

Glad to see you're still working on the car! Progress looks good.
                        1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
                        1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
                        2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
                        2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                        2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

Originally posted by SBPGT View Post
                          I wonder how many people just throw in their new cams and go, without checking them. I want to make sure the regrinds are straight and and the journals are in spec. If I have to modify the cam caps too much for the regrinds, then I won't be able to reinstall the stock cams later if I want to.

Also, bought a EGR block off plate. Plan to remove all the EGR junk, vacuum solenoids, and clean up some wiring.
                          I never just throw in cams any more -ever since I discovered how much slop there was in the clearances. To me it is better to match the heads to some custom grind cams -because for me it is easier (and cheaper) to get another set of heads than custom cams. Heads can come from lots of the newer Mazdas and so they are still fairly plentiful around (at least for the moment)

I stocked up on my sets of heads years ago and so I have at least 10 sets of heads and 8 blocks to build from.
                          Last edited by KLZE Porsche; June 14, 2016, 09:15 AM.
                          Success is a measure of determination!
                          Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
                          $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
                          Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
                          Restoration of a legend

Comment

I tried dry ice for the tar removal and it didnt do much. I don't think there's really an easy way to remove it other than hard work.
                            Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
                            Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
                            Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
                            The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

Well it is 103* out at 10:15PM, but it was only 95* in the garage with a portable swamp cooler and a 20" fan.

Spent about 45 min. on the intake. I did some smoothing and leveling of the front runners and top plenum. Hand sander and some 60 grit.

Time to go back inside to the A/C...
                              Last edited by SBPGT; July 15, 2017, 07:00 PM.
                              STEVE B
                              1993 Probe GT
                              2016 Mustang

Comment

I spilled a quart of unused motor oil in my spare tire area and let it soak for a while (unintentionally) and then the sound deadening just fell off the metal on it's own in big pieces.

not sure how useful this information is.
                                2005 BMW r1200GS - fully dressed adv machine
                                2006 Suzuki SV650 - naked squid machine

Comment

Working...
                                X