No announcement yet.

A mystery code.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't believe power goes to the cam sensor.

Cam position sensor (hall effect) -> pcm -> power to distributor -> power to spark plugs

Without pickup from the CID power will not be sent to the distributor. The pcm needs to establish timing first before it will fire. The cam sensor is basically the same as the crank position sensor being basically a pickup magnet kind of deal. I could be wrong but I do not believe it receives power.
    1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
    2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
    99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

If you are not getting 12V to the R/BK (red wire, black stripe) wire on your distributor plug, pin 2 (2nd wire from the radiator side) then your cam sensor will not be sending a signal to your ECU.
      If your cam sensor isn't sending a signal, then your ECU doesn't know where the engine's top dead center position is, and it won't fire fuel or spark...actually it might try to fire the injectors in batch mode, but it won't fire a spark, because it might end up firing at the top of the exhaust stroke instead of compression stroke.

probably a problem with the wiring or the connector, or fuse or something. Get that fixed and your car will run.
      1996 Boysenberry Probe GT MTXtreme
      2014 Fusion SE MTXtreme
      2005 Mountaineer Premier

Comment

According to my Haynes manual's wiring diagram, that red with black stripe wire goes to many locations besides the distributor. I hate the thought of tracking every place it goes to. Isn't there a short cut?

Comment

If it receives 12v there is it a constant 12v? So in theory it could be rewired with a new 12v source to test to see if it will start again?

The other things that the wire feeds to on the diagram are those things functioning correctly or no?
          1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
          2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
          99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

I already told you how to read the wire out from the ECU through whatever to the distributor. In post number 6. The only thing I'd add to what I wrote is disconnect the battery before sticking any grounded wires to any pins.
            Probe out for Harambe
            94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

no current

Blue. I do not understand. The red with black wire goes from the distributor to the fuse block. But on the way it has junctions going to the PCM, both oxygen sensors, egr valve, prc solenoid, purge solenoid and idle air control. If there is an open in one of these circuits will that not affect current going to the cam position sensor in the distributor? Thanks

Comment

Starting fresh with a schematic in front of me.
                Looking at a schematic for 93-95 Probe/MX6/626 2.5l engine schematics in a Chilton's manual the R/B wire going into the distributor, comes from a main relay which closes when the key is in run or start. It does provide 12v around the engine bay.

When you turn the key to on you should have 12 volts on the R/Bwire, if you don't, then either
                1. the relay isn't switching
                2. a fuse, or a circuit breaker, or in this case a 30 amp fusible link is open OR
                3. there is a broken wire

You can check for 12V at the fuel rail (either one.) with the key on you should have 12v on the W/R wire to either rail they all get 12v from that relay and the fuel rail is probably the easiest to reach and check with a meter.
                If you have 12v then the relay is good at the fuel rail and no 12v at the distributor, the fusible link is also good and it's probably a broken wire.
                If you don't have 12v there then the relay could be stuck or sticking. You can try seeing if it clicks when the key is turned on (will require a friend to turn the key,) you can try tapping the relay (not with a hammer or hard enough to break it,) If it clicks from tapping then it's a stuck or sticking relay. Replace and all should be good.

If the relay doesn't click by itself or with some tapping pull the relay out.

There should 2 spots at the relay that have 12v
                1 should be 12v hot at all times
                the other should have 12v only when the key is turned to the on position

Check for both, if you only have one, see if the one you have goes on and off with the key or if it always stays on. The key on 12v fuse is labeled engine fuse and is a 10A fuse should be a red blade fuse
                If it's the always hot 12v that is missing that is a 30 amp fusible link. I'm not sure where that is we can get to that if that's the issue. The book says the relay gets 30 amps from a fusible link on a W/G wire

If both 12v are there and the relay doesn't click over check for a ground on one of the terminals the relay plugs into. If you have 1 ground and 2 12v and the relay isn't clicking the relay is bad

The code you have 03 for a cam sensor probably has nothing to do with the R/B wire. So either you have that code because the engine isn't on or spinning and the missing 12v on r/b wire is the problem OR the R/B wire has nothing to do with it and your cam sensor is the problem. If you have 12v on R/B with the key on put everything back together and find a good 95+ distributor. You can check the B/W at the distributor as well that one is also key on 12v. Turn the key off before connecting or disconnecting anything with the battery connected and back on if you're checking for voltage. Make sure the meter probe is actually making contact with the pin or terminal you are checking

Open to anyone to see if I missed anything critical here.
                Last edited by BLUEnoEQ; October 28, 2017, 10:30 PM. Reason: Clarification
                Probe out for Harambe
                94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Thanks for all the information. Next day off I will work on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X