No announcement yet.

My dream is becoming a reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly (and other reasons). Not everyone wants 500hp. 300 from twins is more efficient, and provides a more usable torque curve for a daily driven car.

The plumbing to run a single in a Probe is an exercise in heat loss, poor design, inefficiency due to unequal manifold secondaries, and fitment issues.
    90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
    93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
    97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
    90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

i have to stop looking at this post and watching the vids while im at work.
      walking around with a bulge in my pants around a bunch of mechanics is considered uncouth.
      96 PGT
      Gettin' there.....slowly

Comment

Originally posted by custmprobe View Post
        but as far as technology goes twins are basically obsolete. Single turbos spool quick now and still make as much boost as you want.
        please go do your hw
        1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
        1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
        2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
        2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
        2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

That is a really clean setup, reminds me of an OEM style setup. Very efficient packaging for the turbo. I imagine that rear one would be a pain to replace if it blew.
          1997 Ford Probe GTS "Optimus Probe" - SOLD - 2005 Impreza RS Wagon "Silverstreak" - 2006 Pontiac Solstice "Jazz" - 2017 Camaro turbo "BEEFOUR" - Cadillac 500 powered 1995 K1500 "Steve"

Comment

Originally posted by custmprobe View Post
            Other then "cool" factor why twins?

Glad you are realizing a dream but as far as technology goes twins are basically obsolete. Single turbos spool quick now and still make as much boost as you want.
            False.

Emissions mandates will make twins far more common than ever before. They are the furthest thing from obsolete, son.
            94 MX3 V6 - 403 whp 412 ft lbs 15 psi pump gas. RIP
            98 Ford Ranger 2wd: 5.0L twin turbo. 10 psi 408 rwhp 491 ft lbs 14 psi 478 rwhp 632 ft lbs
            04 Volvo S60R 6 spd

Comment

the most recent being the ecoboot
              95 mx6 with a 4 lug swap
              Built, Not Bought.
              No, my username is Not from that stupid movie.

Comment

Another interesting one is the LF3 in the Cadillac XTS. Very cool intercooler packaging.
                http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/lf3/
                1997 Ford Probe GTS "Optimus Probe" - SOLD - 2005 Impreza RS Wagon "Silverstreak" - 2006 Pontiac Solstice "Jazz" - 2017 Camaro turbo "BEEFOUR" - Cadillac 500 powered 1995 K1500 "Steve"

Comment

Back in the day (late 90's)

Caterpillar started using twin turbo's on their diesel engines to escape having to conform to emission stuff. Kinda neat.
                  1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

Originally posted by Brizzy View Post
                    Back in the day (late 90's)

Caterpillar started using twin turbo's on their diesel engines to escape having to conform to emission stuff. Kinda neat.

I worked on a project for Deere doing that... generally with the diesels it is for high high EGR when compound turbos are necessary (>30% or so)... which specifically targets NOx emissions at a cost of BSFC and all other emissions increases.

For the gasoline twins these days... it's all about catalyst light-off.

Without twin turbos and pre-turbo cats, turbos were threatened to be stamped out. They're a big heat sink and takes too long for them to light off from a cold start, so the EPA was wanting them gone. But... twin turbos to the rescue.

OP... let us get some more updates. I am anxiously awaiting more photos and info here!
                    94 MX3 V6 - 403 whp 412 ft lbs 15 psi pump gas. RIP
                    98 Ford Ranger 2wd: 5.0L twin turbo. 10 psi 408 rwhp 491 ft lbs 14 psi 478 rwhp 632 ft lbs
                    04 Volvo S60R 6 spd

Comment

well, I think we should get back on track - this is pretty much classic PT. Guy starts/finishes amazing project, and most of the comments are PTers bickering amongst each other about irrelevant drivel.
                      90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
                      93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
                      97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
                      90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

Originally posted by plx92 View Post
                        please go do your hw
                        I guess maybe on smaller engines it is still hard to make a single produce a very useable/ street friendly performance? I know that with V8s twins are almost never used because you can spool a single at a low rpm now and still make all the boost you want thanks to modern turbo design.

As for the factory set ups mentioned they aren't going for major performance. They are going for fuel economy and decent performance. A middle aged man that is about to buy his BMW wants it to be quick but feel as smooth and linear as every car he has ever had. That is why many factory set ups are twins so they can run ultra tiny turbos that spool almost at idle and make a minimal max psi.

I guess the world of these V6s could be completely different then what I am accustom to. I have a hard time beliving that though because the number of twin turbos I see around here is very small. I guess I will do some learning while I am around here.

Comment

Kinda figured the this would go off on a tangent so I waited it out.

Anyway, the goals for this. #1: Like I said up top, it is something that I've been wanting and saying I was was going to do for close to a decade. I want to do it just to do it. Sounds childish I know but then again, why do ANYTHING to a quickly fading outdated unpopular platform like the Probe in the first place? I know I do it because it makes me happy and its far from the norm.
                          #2: The performance aspect. Lets look at a single turbo setup on a moderately powered KL V6. The hotpipes are long as hell since they have to go from both banks, join together and get to a essentially remote turbo. Hot exhaust gasses lose a great amount of their efficiency as they cool and being a tiny 2.5L, there isnt a lot of velocity to begin with. This makes our normal turbo setup pretty inefficient. Im not saying one cant make huge power. Thats not the goal here. What it does do is move the power band way up the RPM range and with a "properly" sized turbo, we dont see full boost of a measly 8-10psi until 4k+. This is not a problem for drag racing or highway pulls, however, it can be disastrous on a twisty backroad. Where I live, there are very few straight roads. Some of the best driving roads in America are located here, so it would be a shame if I were fighting to get the turbo into boost every time I dropped below 4K. The chassis will handle much more power in the corners than N/A can provide, but the drastic increase so high in the RPM range makes it very tricky and cumbersome to navigate corners at speed. I partially solved that problem by running a smaller turbo than average so I saw full boost at 3k and it makes things far more controllable and made for a smooth linear power gain. The drawback is that power dropped off noticeably after 5k due to the turbo running out of its efficiency range. Its not a giant drop in power but it was still something that bothered me because its not right.
                          The solution I believe will be these twins. Together, they are equivalent to a much larger turbo compared to what I used to run, however being located right on each exhaust manifold, they will be exposed to maximum exhaust gas velocity, giving a far better efficiency range than any single could provide with our piping setup. While I was brake boosting on jackstands in the video, I saw 3psi on the gauge at half throttle at 3k. At this point I would say my theory is probably correct.

I got my bottle back for my MIG today so I will be able to finish up the y-pipe and actually be able to drive it on saturday. Saying im excited is an understatement.
                          Last edited by WhiteDart; April 3, 2014, 07:05 PM.
                          Jim K.
                          :89LX: Gone but not forgotten:96 PGT:(ze twin turbo) Its not purple dammit! Its BOYSENBERRY! :89PGT: New project :03 KLZE Protege5: Daily When I go for a drive, I leave life behind. Friends, work, everything. Its just me, the car, and a twisty road. The exhilaration of being on the edge of catastrophe is something that I will never be able to give up.

Comment

Niiiiiiice
                            1994 MX-6 RS -- RIP 1/30/2012
                            1996 MX-6 M-Edition
                            1993 RX-7 Grand Touring
                            2010 Mazda3 Hatch Grand Touring

Comment

Awesome build!
                              '93 Mazda MX6 LS
                              Molded body kit, VIS cf hood, Ichibahn wing, NOS 50 shot wet EFI kit, MazdaSpeed 6 brakes, and MX3 flywheel.

Comment

This is an awesome build. And your #1 is EXACTLY why I am boosting my probe, 'because I can' and its different than 99% of anything else you will see on the roads or at shows.

Cant wait to see this thing actually driving, I've watched your jackstand spool video like 4 times...
                                1996 Probe GT - Bought April 2010, Boosted August 2014
                                Fast FC04 18x9, Black Leather, King6, ADDCO, AWR, Yonaka, Quad J30s, AVC Pipes, Tial WG, Greddy BOV, Aeromotive AFPR, MS1v3
                                1993 Probe GT - 110k, auto, parts car
                                2011 Impreza Limited Hatchback - Daily, Lowered, WRX Wheels & Wing

Comment

Working...
                                X