Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally done thanks to some coach from Travis.

The starter issue above was an interesting one.
    The two bolt that hold the starter on the engine come from to different sides of the transmission. The top bolt come into the tranny and attached to the starter. The lower comes from the engine side and threads into the tranny.

Once that last bolt was out the tranny slipped right off.

ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC:
    We had a hard time getting the driver side axle back in . I but it in as far as I could by hand, which left a inch to go then we tapped the remainder in using a pipe and hammer. After the first tap it when in..

The trick is getting the axle as parallel as we could. This required me to jack up the hub (place jack under ball joint) until the axle is as parallel and straight as possible. This allow me to tap all around the green sleeve of the axle.

Comment

Well, Mr. Williams, your write-up has helped me install my first clutch on a fellow POC's car. Thank you for the write-up.....these things do come in handy. Thank you!!!!
      Stephen

Comment

I just used this write-up for the heck of it last weekend. Since it's the super duper speedy quick write-up, I'll give it a

However, the primary hastle I ran into was aligning the intermediate shaft up without destroying the axle seal and then getting the input shaft of the transmission through into the pilot bearing (yes, I used the alignment tool as usual). Otherwise, it went smoothly.
        Jeff (member #1404) 1995 PGT - Reliable stock internal'd 10:1 300+whp ZE-T & highest horsepower of 275whp @ 5psi
        1991 PGT ----- 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) ~ 10.6@139mph ----- 1980 MGB

Comment

Originally posted by Fastest95PGT

However, the primary hastle I ran into was aligning the intermediate shaft up without destroying the axle seal and then getting the input shaft of the transmission through into the pilot bearing (yes, I used the alignment tool as usual). Otherwise, it went smoothly.
          A little lube on your shaft goes a long ways
          93 gt
          95 tbird sc
          2010 focus ses

Comment

The one thing I can tell you that helps in that scenario is to throw the transmission in gear and have someone rotate the passenger side wheel. That will rotate the splines and it'll drop right in.
            ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
            ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
            ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

trav williams is a genius

Comment

Hi all, I'm in the middle of the clutch change right now, and I was thinking ahead to when the tranny has to be slid out. Does the passenger side intermediate shaft just slide out of the tranny as the tranny is being pulled away, or does it have to be pried out as the driver side was?
                1997 MX-6 LS

Comment

it slides out,there is no c-clip on the passenger side.

good luck with the job
                  ¶¶¶ Spyder Mica Metallic1994 PGT ZE-T04E Intercooled @ 6 psi.. ----- Sold within NEPO and PT
                  ¶¶¶ Arancio Atlas Metallic1995 PGT NOVI 1000 Intercooled @ 10psi. ----- STUPID FAST
                  ¶¶¶ Verde Mica Metallic 1993 PGT Modified, Sanctified, Retired. ----- Damn I miss her.

Comment

Thanks Travis.

I got the tranny out, but broke two of the 3 top bolts (the other one wasn't there or I may have broke that one too!) Both of them broke right where the threads start on the bolt. Is there any way to get the remainder out of the block?

I don't think that I did anything wrong in terms of removing it. I tried with the impact wrench, but they wouldn't budge, so I got out the breaker bar and got them to move freely, but after a turn or two both of them stopped turning so I put the impact back on them and they turned another thread, then stopped, so I put the breaker bar back on them and they both snapped. Why would this happen?

I was thinking that either the bolt got warped somehow, or the block slightly warped, or when the guy that swapped the motor was installing the tranny, he overtorqued the bolt (possibility?). He messed so many other things up that I wouldn't be surprised if it was his fault somehow.

Thanks for any info,

Paul
                    1997 MX-6 LS

Comment

• my friend and i undertook the task of installing a new clutch on my car starting yesterday afternoon (around 1pm). this morning at 1am we gave up! it was rediculously hard for some reason. first off, we broke one of the top engine to tranny bolts, had a tough time getting the tranny off of the half shaft. then now that we got everythine off, we can't get the tranny back on! i'm wondering if any of the local autoparts stores rent tranny jacks or if anyone has any other ideas to help get the tranny back on the car? the car is all rusted on the bottom so getting all the bolts off was a big p.i.t.a.

Comment

• I boned and stripped my wrecked PGT pretty much in one night, and all the bolts came off fine.

Of course me, being in a rush and getting too excited, started off the stripping by bagging and labeling where parts came off of and etc. But that didn't last too long, and my box of Probe nuts and bolts that has been collected ever since my first probe (92 GL) has grown increadabaly, and is a mess.

Well I got the tranny on, and engine swapped in, but I am having a problem. In the write-up it says there are 3 17mm bolts across the top, and 3 along the front. I got 3 up top, and 2 on the front. I know theres the 2 17mm ones hiding behind the tranny, the shorter ones, so I got 7 17mm bolts total, and I cannot find the 6th one (I have 3 on top, here appears to be a spot where another one can go, but its solid aluminum, and that would make 4 along the top, which isn't right).

None of the drawings make any sense in both the Real service manual as well as the crap haynes manuals.

I looked and looked, and cant see the 6th bolt possible, and it's got me all buggered out, this project OGT

I boned and stripped my wrecked PGT pretty much in one night, and all the bolts came off fine.

Of course me, being in a rush and getting too excited, started off the stripping by bagging and labeling where parts came off of and etc.

Well I got the tranny on, and engine swapped in, but I am having a problem. In the write-up it says there are 3 17mm bolts across the top, and 3 along the front. I got 3 up top, and 2 on the front. I know theres the 2 17mm ones hiding behind the tranny, the shorter ones, so I got 7 17mm bolts total, and I cannot find the 6th one (I have 3 on top, here appears to be a spot where another one can go, but its solid aluminum, and that would make 4 along the top, which isn't right).

None of the drawings make any sense in both the Real service manual as well as the crap haynes manuals.

I looked and looked, and cant see the 6th bolt possible, and it's got me all buggered out, this project PGT has taken some time (damn my perfectionist habits) and I am so close to having it runing and being able to drive a PGT after months of none its bothering me and I'm going nuts!

So any input is much appriciated.

P.S. Pics would complement the write-up. Maybe torque specs and etc. Someday when I get a nice camera, I'd love to document everything on 2nd Gens, just because I hate getting stuck on problems like this lol.

Note this is my first time ever in my life diving this deep into a car, but its been fun and interesting so far. Its a pain though since I am a one-man show, the tranny kicked my rear lol.
                        Last edited by BePro; May 25, 2007, 11:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post
                        My new Ride

Comment

• That messed me up too when doing the re-install. There are actually 3 along the top and 2 to the front, not 3 as stated in the writeup.
                          1997 MX-6 LS

Comment

• "sigh" ... everyone's a critic on help written from the hip

Comment

• Sorry Travis, I definitely didn't mean any disrespect by it, your writeup was my bible when changing the clutch.
                              1997 MX-6 LS

Comment

• how much do they charge to install a clutch

Comment

Working...
                                X