Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

94GT started, bucked while driving, shut down, and won't start again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94GT started, bucked while driving, shut down, and won't start again.

Hey guys as the title says my car started, was bucking while I was driving it to get coffee, and then shut down. I tried to immediately restart it and found that it would periodically start but when gas was applied the car would immediately shut down; after that, it would only turnover. Unfortunately, this happened while I was in Pensacola for my best friends wedding on Sunday and I had to leave the car (in Pensacola with a mechanic) on Monday to return to Birmingham for work via a greyhound bus.

Via the search I learned that the bucking could happen due to the MAF needing cleaning and the no start due to a coolant temperature sensor. I also know that a no start could be due to the distributor cam sensor but the mechanic claimed it had spark. He claimed they tried to directly inject fuel but the car wouldn't start. So he thinks the ECU is dead. Once I get the car back, I have a few spare ECU's so I could test that theory.

He was also quite baffled by the HEI ignition mod. So I'm going to tow my car to Bham tomorrow (10/11) and try to source the no start problem. Do you guys have any idea why any of this might happen? These no-start issues are hard to trace and kinda confusing. Last time it was because the Neutral-Safety switch went bad. Thanks for the help!

-V
    93 GT-ZE, Hotshot Headers, Greddy SP2, Eibach lowering springs, Magnecor's 8.5mm competition wires, AWR Mounts, Spec Stage 1...

Can check for any kind of spark usually with starting fluid. If it stumbles it's getting spark, no go no fuel. Can you hear the pump when you turn on the key? Can any codes be pulled? Unless you did the Vaf to maf conversation you have a Vaf and that could be a culprit but unsure on how that could be cleaned. Also check for any vac leaks around the intake piping after the Vaf/maf for anything that may have disconnected or some old hoses will suck closed. Few things to check real quick. Report back and I'm sure we can try to get us going again.
    1995 Probe GT - N2O Ingested, CM 3, fidanza, headers, exhaust, CAI, MS, kenwood sound
    2010 Ram 1500 4x4 - Daily Driver
    99 Mustang V6 stock inherited not sure what the plan is

Comment

Check for fuel and spark , then trace back.
      1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

It's highly likely a distributor, even though you get spark it could be a weak spark, the ignitor, cam sensor (inside the disty,) or coil. The car will start with a VAF not plugged in, but will not stay running with out hitting the throttle. Your mechanic got fuel in there somehow (???) and it didn't start or stumble, then you know it had some fuel, air is kind of a given, that leaves weak spark. Ecu is not a common problem, distributor is very common. I'd try to replace the ignitor using the disty mod if you can't determine anything else. I've personally had 4 of those fail, 2 random and never starting the car again.
        Probe out for Harambe
        94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

Yeh... I really hate that I had to leave it in Pensacola but I had to go back to work. The guy said he checked the timing, it has fuel, and spark (he was actually baffled by it not starting). I'm going to have it towed to Birmingham tomorrow or Friday then I can personally look at it. Having a weak spark may explain why it stumbled/bucked, died, and won't work.
          93 GT-ZE, Hotshot Headers, Greddy SP2, Eibach lowering springs, Magnecor's 8.5mm competition wires, AWR Mounts, Spec Stage 1...

Comment

Update: Had some free time, I changed the coil and the crank sensor and it starts and runs. Now it'll bog on a cold start and once warm run fine. I may record a video this weekend but I think I need O2 sensors.

Comment

Did you get it working well?

I had the no start issue and it turned out to be the camshaft sensor in the distributor. Distributors (minus the cap) are $35 on eBay. I bought 2. Fixed my issue and it can be done in 10 minutes.
              Marc M.
              Black '95 PGT with mods 177.4 whp/159.6 wtq (probably way less now as the car has been partially de-modded)
              2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

You may have replaced your coil inside the dusty and got it to start ...but your coil hold down bracket may be rusted.
                1993 Mercury tRacer :Vitara & mFactory: In progress 2020
                1994 Mercury TrAcer Wagon : '02 SPI swap : sold
                2014 Factory Five 818s: sold
                2000 Lotus esprit v8TT : 1st v8 on MS3x, ls1 coils,h20 injection
                1997 Nissan 200sx 1.6L : 35-39mpg the daily

Comment

Working...
                X