Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap, cheap, cheap: $18 HEI ignitor as backup to STOCK ignitor, volunteers needed :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap, cheap, cheap: $18 HEI ignitor as backup to STOCK ignitor, volunteers needed :)

Ok, I added first setup for those that don't have switch, so that they can test idea. There is no need for any distributor modification, no opening and pulling parts from inside, all modification are done on cables outside distributor. It is possible to make this work only with pocket knife on the road

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8545/HEI.jpg
    http://njsr.org/pics/albums/userpics/normal_HEI.jpg

Second schematic is for those that have switch.

http://img28.exs.cx/img28/148/HEIswitchSTOCK.jpg
    http://njsr.org/pics/albums/userpics...witchSTOCK.jpg

This is draft. Only for experienced and responsible at this stage of testing. Please comment this design! I need volunteers for implementation. Idea here is that with switch we can choose to run car with stock ignitor in positon 1 and with switch in position 2 we use HEI ignitor module. It is possible to use HEI ignitor as backup in the case of failure.

There is no need for any distributor modification. All modifications are done externaly. Currently it is not possible to switch while driving car , before switching module remove car keys from ignition, and then switch to postion 2 or position 1.

And, Yes I need volunteers for implementation and testing. Possible for porting this design on other years of Probe.

OK, I see that I need to clear some things, so that people can easily port this schematic to 93 or others years.

Connector C134 :
    Pin 5 - is transistors emiter that is grounded
    Pin 6 - is transistors base that is connected to PCM (computer)

by cuting those two wires you are disabling switcher transistor inside distributor.
    Pin 5 wire that is cutted is ground, and that ground you need to connect to (W) connector on HEI module.
    Pin 6 wire that is cutted comes from computer and you need to connect it to (G) connector on HEI module.

Connector C170
    Pin 1 - is transistors collector that connects to primary coil(- side), and goes to DLC connector IG-
    Pin 3 - Comes from ignition Switch and connects to primary coil (+ side)

Pin 1 should be connected to (C) connector on HEI module. HEI module switches that connector on and off ground.
    (B) is power supply for HEI module that needs to be connected to Pin 3

Hope that this helps in porting to other years of cars.

OK, from schematic it looks like 1993 is same as 1994 so, yes you can try same schematic for 1993 year.

For 1995 it looks like they switched position of two wires, so everything is same for conector C134 (6 pin connector), but C170 (3 pin connector) have been permutated so for that year Pin1 should be connected to (B) connector on HEI module and Pin2 should be connected to (C) connector on HEI module.

Hope that helps!

I will try to make pictures for 1993 and 1995 years, but I need confirmation that this setup works on those years first.

Well, now I need help from you!

Check this thread http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701114528

If somebody helps me find those connectors I can make fix for distributor that will be simple as plug and play. No cuting, no splicing, nothing, just disconnect distributor two connectors, plug HEI and drive!!!!!!

Plug and drive solution.

But I need those connectors!

Just imagine, your car dies on road, and you can just unplug connector, plug HEI and drive. No cutting, no splicing, no thinking what wire goes where, just plug it in.
    Last edited by kuki; April 8, 2005, 02:29 PM.

link aint working

Comment

worked for me...nice diagram.....you need people to try it?

Comment

Where can I upload pictures and schematics so that they are available all the time to others?

Thanks

Comment

www.njsr.org

IIRC, the upper right of the page has an uploader section

Your original picture is working. Looks like a good setup. You may even be able to test back to back stock vs HEI ignition systems.
          Last edited by Omaha95PGT; August 3, 2004, 10:35 AM.
          Marc M.
          Black '95 PGT with mods 177.4 whp/159.6 wtq (probably way less now as the car has been partially de-modded)
          2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

Originally posted by how-high
            link aint working
            fixed problem!

Comment

The circuit numbers & wire colors you're using change somewhat, depending on the year. Look at this thread for distributor wiring & connector diagrams for all 2nd Gen. PGT's.
              KevinD
              1995 Sapphire Blue Mustang GT Convertible, 2006 Storm Red Metallic Mercedes-Benz CLK 350 Cabriolet, 2006 Dark Shadow Gray Ford F250 V10 Supercab 4x4, 2004 Perlite Gray Metallic Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic, 2002 Burgundy Pearl Suzuki XL-7 Touring, 1971 Spring Green Jeep J4000 Gladiator, 1966 Signal Flare Red Ford Fairlane, to name a few...

Comment

will those diagrams above work on 93 disty's?

Comment

Originally posted by Project GT
                  will those diagrams above work on 93 disty's?
                  Yes, I think that they would work, because 93 and 94 distributors are the same. Not sure for wiring, but if you have schematic, post it somewhere, so that I can take a look, or compare it with my wire numbers.

Comment

Actually, the wire position should match perfectly between the '93-'94 disty's. The only thing that won't match up are the wires' colors. In other words, go by the wire position not the color.
                    Marc M.
                    Black '95 PGT with mods 177.4 whp/159.6 wtq (probably way less now as the car has been partially de-modded)
                    2000 BMW M-Roadster

Comment

Originally posted by Omaha95PGT
                      Actually, the wire position should match perfectly between the '93-'94 disty's. The only thing that won't match up are the wires' colors. In other words, go by the wire position not the color.
                      OK, I updated original post and I hope this setup will work on 95 disty, too

Comment

With this setup....will the tach work???...ANd do this fix really work....I'M waiting an answer to begin it...thx
                        Last edited by D4rKSt4R; August 18, 2004, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kuki
                          Connector C170
                          Pin 1 - is transistors collector that connects to primary coil(- side), and goes to DLC connector IG-
                          Pin 3 - Comes from ignition Switch and connects to primary coil (+ side)

Pin 1 should be connected to (C) connector on HEI module. HEI module switches that connector on and off ground.
                          (B) is power supply for HEI module that needs to be connected to Pin 3
                          Do these connections need to be switched (since they are taps and not by-pass connections), or can they be wired directly to the HEI to set quiescently until the Pins 5 & 6 from the C134 are switched the the HEI to give it spark control? That would eliminate a bit of complexity and require a simpler (and cheaper) switch.
                          FWIW, YMMV, EIEIO
                          MM7 and MM8 - Showroom Class: Best in Show
                          '73 Jeep Commando 4X4X4.2 - The last Commando built? Nobody's told my I'm wrong.

C.S.

Comment

Why are you cutting the wire on pin 5? I didn't. The guy that originally made this mod didn't, why do you need to?
                            93 PGT Electric Blue https://www.supermotors.net/24151 Sold
                            KL-Z(zed)E, Stoker100 Chipped, OBX headers, JJ TP, 67mm bored TB, CAI, CM#2, MX-3 FW, Ultimate STS, Homemade Grounding Kit, AWR Sway Bar, Rear Protege Calipers, Magnaflow 12245 (best muffler ever!)
                            2006 Subaru Legacy Wagon

Comment

I did this mod exactly as shown, cutting pins 5 and 6. 50 miles later it seems to be working great. Read about it here:

http://www.pagel.net/Probe

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X