smoking problem and valve cover swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoking problem and valve cover swap

im about to do valve cover gaskets on my 93 probe gt mtx. front cover has little leak as well as back. so since im doing that, im wondering what other things would be a good idea while im in there?

also the car has still been smoking quite a bit and has a bouncy idle(between 1500 and 2000). i have one vacuum line with a check vavle on it that just lays across the motor. it connects near the front right side of the intake. its never been hooked up the kid who sold me the car said. im thinking its causing incorrect crankcase pressure which leads to smoking? its not the original motor and this motor isnt putting all the power to the road just yet, help appreciated

things already done.... new dist, cap,rotor,wires,autolite plugs,crank sensor,f.f.
    air box from internet junkyard snorkel to intake, mangaflow high flow cat, 2.25 piping and magnaflow muffler, lucus sythetic 10w30 with a quart of lucus oil stabilizer, castle 3 part fuel system cleaning kit. i m closing in on 750 miles and the car had sat 2 years b4 that btw...
    1993 Ford Probe GT
    KLZE, P.A. Headers, Clutchmasters Stage 0, Fidenza FW, Probinator chip, Magnaflow Cat/Muf. 2 1/4in piping, P.A. CAI

The only check valve connects under the top of the intake manifold, it should be obvious when you get it off for the valve covers. There are a couple of vacuum chambers in line with that check valve, which in turn supply vacuum to the VRIS systems and EGR. So, yeah, if it's unhooked you've got a vacuum leak. That wouldn't have anything to do with smoking, though.

What color smoke. Generally, blue is oil, black is rich mixture, white is - - well, bad.

Comment

its oil smoke im pretty sure.what is the purpose of that vacuum hose with check valve on it? im hoping it was related to the smoking problem but it runs decent with it plugged up
      1993 Ford Probe GT
      KLZE, P.A. Headers, Clutchmasters Stage 0, Fidenza FW, Probinator chip, Magnaflow Cat/Muf. 2 1/4in piping, P.A. CAI

Comment

Can you see which vacuum hose it is from this diagram? http://home.comcast.net/~mmunoz70/z/03ze.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bgillette93
          its oil smoke im pretty sure.what is the purpose of that vacuum hose with check valve on it? im hoping it was related to the smoking problem but it runs decent with it plugged up

Um. . . .

Originally posted by wfooshee
          There are a couple of vacuum chambers in line with that check valve, which in turn supply vacuum to the VRIS systems and EGR.

Comment

Working...
          X