Broken Rack and Pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Rack and Pinion

I just an oil change done and the shop said my rack and pinion is broken.

He shoed me a lot of dirt and build-up around the boots, said if i didn't change it quick, my steering pump is going to get messed, and my steering will lock-up.

I can steer fine, so i was surprised when he siad it was "broken"...was he just BSing me?
    "Dream as if you will live forever...live as if you'll die today." - James Dean

clean it and then keep checking it each week to see what type of fluid/dirt is on it. you need to figure out if it's power steering fluid or if it's oil. if it's losing PS fluid...then yeah...you'll need to swap out the rack. If it's oil...then the rack is fine but the engine isn't.

Anyway, changing the rack isn't fun but it's not all that difficult.
    '94 teal w/black int. some sort of sts, 65mm DE TB full KL31 ZE, CAI, Phenolyc spacers, mx3 flywheel, pacesetter headers, 2.5" exhaust, stainless brake lines, MS and LC-1. Charter member Club 15.2 - Mustang Dyno - 187/169 @the wheels
    '90 White GT "Pearl"....uh ohzzzz...I had turboz. Now with T3....now it's J-doggs
    '96 SE & '93 "Red-Eye" smashed and trashed. 97 GTS....crashed, not trashed yet

Comment

HI,

My steering fluid is totally fine, and i check it every couple of weeks or so.

I'll try cleaning it, but geez...VERY hard to get to with only jackstands
      "Dream as if you will live forever...live as if you'll die today." - James Dean

Comment

Hmm I didnt think that the probes had a rack and pinion. I thought that they were built with CV Axles? My boot on my right CV Axle broke and it leaked out ALOT of grease/oil onto the back of my caliper and the inside of my front right wheel. I think it is causing my steering to lose power steering as I get of exits from the freeway. I am getting that replaced tomorrow tho, I hope it fixes it tho.
        95 PGT 17x7 Gunmetal w/ Chrome Lip Nexo Wheels on 225/45/17 Nankang NS-1 rubber, SpeedHut Gauges, STS, Gripforce F1 Slotted Cross Drilled Rotors, Painted Calipers (Black), Clear Corners, Illuminas on Tokico Springs, 2 12" MTX 6000T, Audiobahn 840W Amp, Double-Layer Dynamat, 5% Tint,

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2193258 Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Sleek95GT
          Hmm I didnt think that the probes had a rack and pinion. I thought that they were built with CV Axles?

Ummm...
          The rack & pinion is the car's steering system...
          And the CV joints in the drive axles allow the car to steer & drive with the front wheels...
          KevinD
          1995 Sapphire Blue Mustang GT Convertible, 2006 Storm Red Metallic Mercedes-Benz CLK 350 Cabriolet, 2006 Dark Shadow Gray Ford F250 V10 Supercab 4x4, 2004 Perlite Gray Metallic Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic, 2002 Burgundy Pearl Suzuki XL-7 Touring, 1971 Spring Green Jeep J4000 Gladiator, 1966 Signal Flare Red Ford Fairlane, to name a few...

Comment

My Bad... my cousin has a 88 Supra and his rack and pinion is almost gone and I just looked at it and it looked totally different than mine, I so was really unsure about every car having it... i dunno lol
            95 PGT 17x7 Gunmetal w/ Chrome Lip Nexo Wheels on 225/45/17 Nankang NS-1 rubber, SpeedHut Gauges, STS, Gripforce F1 Slotted Cross Drilled Rotors, Painted Calipers (Black), Clear Corners, Illuminas on Tokico Springs, 2 12" MTX 6000T, Audiobahn 840W Amp, Double-Layer Dynamat, 5% Tint,

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2193258 Check it out!

Comment

Is his Supra RWD or FWD? That could explain alot of your confusion.
              Dan- ASE certified-A1, A4, A5, A8
              Life, Liberty and the Pursuit...
              R.I.P. Joe Mohr 10/3/06, Tom Major 2/17/08
              I dont do cars anymore, I have a type 03 FFL...

Comment

I had some weird noises when I made turns out of parking spaces -- out of the blue . . . the repair shop gave me a quote of $1000to fix the rack and pinon steering system but said that if I kept enough power steering fluid in it, it would be OK . . . huh??!

Unfortunately also the heater/ defrost / and a/cfan is also not working -- could it be a fuse? They said it needed a new part they weren't sure they could find and it would be another $500.

Have a brand new a/c system the dealer put in -- and a new Midas exhaust system - and a new radiator -- work on the electrical system . . . new alternator . . . should I just give it up?

It is an '89 with 150,00 miles on it -- one owner before me.

Any good ideas?

Comment

Working...
                X