Project Casper - KL Rx7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, thats a 2nd gen... 3rd gen is a whole different animal
    Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
    Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
    Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
    The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

Originally posted by proboner View Post
      yeah, thats a 2nd gen... 3rd gen is a whole different animal
      OK -I don't know my RX-7's very well. I thought it was a third gen. So that was my thinking as to being expensive to buy.
      Success is a measure of determination!
      Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
      $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
      Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
      Restoration of a legend

Comment

Originally posted by KLZE Porsche View Post
        OK -I don't know my RX-7's very well. I thought it was a third gen. So that was my thinking as to being expensive to buy.
        it is a 3rd Gen

3rd Gen- http://www.rotaryheads.com/PDF/images/3rdGenRX7.jpg

2nd Gen - http://www.rx7club.com/attachments/2...-rocky-075.jpg

1st Gen - http://www.rx7club.com/attachments/1...en-rex_17s.jpg

Comment

That is what I thought with my original statement -but I wasn't going to argue. I thought it looked an awful lot like a FD -but I could have been wrong!
          Last edited by KLZE Porsche; April 26, 2016, 06:54 PM.
          Success is a measure of determination!
          Bonneville Dreamer-(AKA Purple Pimp Mobile)
          $500 Gas-Electric-Gas Reconversion/Restoration
          Mini-me & 500k "Old Gal" RIP
          Restoration of a legend

Comment

Haha I was commenting on what branscoset said... about how his 86 rx7 sold for so cheap. I was pointing out that his 86 is a 2nd gen which is much cheaper than this rx7, which is a 3rd gen.

I should have quoted him to clarify
            Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
            Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
            Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
            The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

RX-8s are much cheaper than 3rd gen RX-7s, that's why I chose mine based on price, can't beat $2100 for 2004 clean title RX.
              93 PGT Kitted and all -sold,
              Current 93 PGT-ZE-T So far: 12" brakes, ZE, T3/T4 turbo, 2.5" exhaust , ACT 6-puck, MSD6AL+2step, Coilovers, 245/45/17x9 cobra r, 67mm TB, MS II, traction bars, meth inj. and more.
              1980 Corvette Vortec 350 and side pipes

OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE LOSING

Comment

I'm kind of offended, but to each is their own..
                1995 Probe GT. Colt 218* cams, Tein SS Coilovers with EDFC, K6F trailing arms, CZT traction bars, ZE Intake Manifold, Milly MAF/OBDII swap, GReddy SP1, Probe Addiction Strut braces, RX8 Seats, PRD STS, PRD door sills, ACT 6puck, MFactory LSD,Built trans, Euro tails and corners, Walbro 255, and more to come
                Stage 3 Audi S4 pushing about 425awhp

Comment

This is awesome, I have only dreamt about an RX swap! Awesome work marcdh!

Honestly, I've been fantasizing about building a K3 V6 turbo for an RX8.
                  It involved a K8/KF crank in the bigger bore/bigger valve KL block. It would have displaced 2.3L and had a 2:1 r/s ratio. It would have redlined at ~9500rpm. It would have had a powerband between 6.5k and 9k. It would have been ultra reliable with the short stroke long rods. It would have had lower CR around 8.5. It will happen at some point in my life. Threads like this are just awesome!
                  95' 323C 'Neo' V6 BA23
                  stock KLZE/retuned VRIS0/deleted VRIS1/retuned VRIS2/MX3 rear suspension/0.680 5th gear/3deg retard cam timing/manual TBT

Comment

Hi,

I'm doing a similar swap, mating a K8 with an RX-7 transmission. Although I successfully modified the stock intake and valve covers so it would work turned 180 degrees, I decided to fabricate a custom intake that will use stock injectors and throttle body. It will look similar to the one discussed in this ProbeTalk thread.

My custom water outlet is a cousin to yours, though I decided to keep all the sensors there:

I noticed when I compared my adapter plate to yours that we match perfectly on the K8/KL holes (green), but diverge pretty significantly on some of the RX-7 bell housing holes (red). But, my MDF template appears to be spot on. Is that version of your drawing the one you used to make your adapter:

Also, I wonder if you could do me a huge favor. I don't have access to an RX-7 engine, so I have no idea where the flywheel is supposed to sit relative to the back of the engine block, so I don't know how thick to make my adapter. Would you be willing to share the dimension called out in red:

Delighted to find someone else doing this swap. Keep up the good work!

Comment

It could be that the difference in our bolt hole positions is because you have an FD and I'm working with an FC transmission....

Comment

So there's a kl, kj and fe? RX car being built all at the same time? Who says this place is dead and which one will be the fastest?
                        Probe out for Harambe
                        94 PGT KLZE http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/a...psr6dk8q1m.jpg
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aauXMeITcdM

Comment

I think it's an ok project.

Good luck mate - looks fierce.
                          90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
                          93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
                          97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
                          90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!! this was my initial thought when I was choosing an engine for my swap. I like you was much in the same boat with the rotary and the FD I opted for the FE3 as the adapter plate and flywheel spacer seemed a little too much to do for me without a mill.

KUDOS to you for pulling this off. I just have a couple of questions for you about the subframe clearances. how did it clear the power steering rack? and how about your engine mounts?

SUBSCRIBED!!
                            so many possibilities...

93 Probe - Shaved Kit - KLZE - SE to GT
                            94 RX-7 13BTT

Comment

Originally posted by artsvetkov View Post
                              RX-8s are much cheaper than 3rd gen RX-7s, that's why I chose mine based on price, can't beat $2100 for 2004 clean title RX.
                              Also, the RX8 handle much better than the RX7. Its ideal for a track car with its extremly low price and awesome handling.
                              Mazda 626 GT - 2.5 V6 - KL31
                              Mazda RX-7 FD - EU spec

Comment

Any updates? I love this engine and wish it were easier to put into my Miata.
                                Jay McKoskey
                                2.5 KL ---> Miata

Comment

Working...
                                X