Tps?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tps?!?

So I had a thread about my idle issues. Well with a new pcv valve and grommet I think I have that mostly corrected. Now I have a new issue I replaced my TPS (throttle position sensor) do to bouncing RPMs with partial throttle. Now I still have the bouncing and when letting off the throttle below 2000 RPM I get a severe jerk.

Decided to unplug it for the rest of my drive today and both the jerking and bouncing is nearly gone. So at this point I wanted some input on whether I should try a third TPS or is the problem most likely in the wiring to the ECU ?

Side note the new TPS could not be set via the fan trick I did adjust it via volt meter to .60 volts
    93 PGT CAI, Egay headers, high flow cat. 2.5 mandrel bent with Borla, Yonaka coilovers,19mm rear bar,CM 12lb fly and stage 2 clutch

She tends to argue with me daily...yep it's a Probe

Every time I have had a bouncing idle it was the idle air controller. Sometimes the car just had an air bubble in the coolant system at the IAC. Burping the system and topping off the coolant fixed this. On a different PGT the IAC needed to be taken off and cleaned. It was sticking and causing the problem.

Since you were unable to set the tps using the fan trick I would return it and try another one and see how that does.
    1993 Probe GT
    2003 Bagged Chevy S10

Comment

My experience with bouncing idle has always been related to lack of coolant and the idle air control motor. I once solved a bouncing idle by replacing the whole throttle body assembly with the tps and the iac on it with one from the junkyard. Later down the line the issue came back because of coolant leaking from the water pump. Fixed that and have Been smooth sailing ever since. Hope this helps.

Comment

I agree, try properly filling and burping your coolant.
        '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
        '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

I should have been more specific at idle it's a steady 750ish only raises when the a/c clutch activates to about 1000. The RPM bouncing is only with slight throttle. It bounces between approximately 1100 and 1500. I'm just having a hard time understanding how both sensors have the same bouncing area. Above 1100 it won't do it.

I originally thought it could be a vacuum leak but it still be happening with the TPS unplugged.

Drove to work and home today with it unplugged with no issues other than obvious more fuel consumption and the CEL.
          93 PGT CAI, Egay headers, high flow cat. 2.5 mandrel bent with Borla, Yonaka coilovers,19mm rear bar,CM 12lb fly and stage 2 clutch

Comment

Tested the voltage at the TPS with it running and bouncing RPMs.. the voltage does not change. It goes up from the .60v I set it at to .65v during the bouncing. Increasing RPMs increases volts.

New thought...is it possible I have a small vacuum leak but unplugging the TPS and forcing the computer to work off its base line settings is some how hiding the symptoms?

Comment

Even given all the additional info, I still think the problem is coolant and iac related. I don't know the forensics on how those sensors communicate with each other exactly. But if it were me, and i knew the coolant was good, I'd be slapping another throttle body assembly on it off a car with less miles and see how it acts after that.

Comment

Originally posted by J_Unit View Post
                Even given all the additional info, I still think the problem is coolant and iac related. I don't know the forensics on how those sensors communicate with each other exactly. But if it were me, and i knew the coolant was good, I'd be slapping another throttle body assembly on it off a car with less miles and see how it acts after that.
                That would be a easy solution if it were easy to find a throttle body. I also tried creating a small vacuum leak to see if the idle would change. Nothing...not a hiccup stumble or anything. I have been chasing this problem for about 2 months. I have tried every normal fix except a different throttle body or pulling the intake to verify all the vacuum lines

Comment

Spent most of the day yesterday replacing vacuum lines and testing sensors. IAC resistance was 11.5. Set the TPS via feeler gauges. Also cleaned the TB and IAC. I am confident I have checked basically every normal cause of this. JUnit suggested a new TB which I will hopefully be trying. There does seem to be a little slop in the throttle linkage but I don't have a known good TB to compare to.

Comment

where are you located..
                    95 PGT Current project
                    95 PSE swapped in 93 KL...Headers.... K&N cold Air.... Gutted Caged and ready for Dirt
                    01 Seabring Convert 01 Neon Rims With Spacers..
                    99 Olds Cutlas DD

Comment

PMing you.

Comment

I know beating a dead horse at this point. Decided to verify my VAF was moving and not sticking possibly causing the issue. Well during the bouncing the plunger actually goes in when the RPMS go down. This doesn't seem right to me. If it is please inform me of that.

Comment

Working...
                        X