Project Beautiful Beast work log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They look great! Good work!
    Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
    Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
    Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

• Looks pretty good
      97 pgt, manual swap, jdm lsd trans, cm stage 2 clutch, mx3 flywheel, cai

2001 626

Comment

• Did a little bit of math on the wheel fitment side, and I can fit a 17x10 wheel with 255 tire, flush to the flare, if I can get to +8 offset
        Last edited by proboner; September 17, 2017, 12:08 PM.
        Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
        Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
        Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
        The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

• Threw some spacers on today that I had in the garage. They're 8mm each. First I doubled them up to make 16mm, of course I couldn't get a single thread with the lugs, so I just lowered it carefully and kept the jack in place to see how they look...

Looks pretty darn good, but I think it would scrape, which I don't want. So I took one of the spacers out, put one on the rear hub and put it on the ground. It's now effectively +14mm offset and looks decent... think I'd be happy with a compromise right in the middle, maybe add another 4mm to get it right in at +18 with a 245 tire. But since I'm looking at 255 tires, +12mm would be right there.

Comment

• Updates updates updates...

So I finally realized that nitrous is not only hard to come by around here, it's going to be extremely expensive ($100+ per refill). So I decided that Instead I'd focus my efforts on my original intent for this project, which is to supercharge her!

So first, a quick reminder on the supercharger I'll be using.
            My old project PGT had a Mercedes C230 Eaton M62 clutched supercharger in place of the stock A/C compressor with a crank overdrive pulley in a kit that I fabricated along with my buddy Tyler (Kroymander). I was not happy with the performance of this kit. Don't know if it was improperly designed inlet/outlet, massive leaks in the piping somewhere, or just a poor performing supercharger, but I never felt like it produced enough boost. But in my research back in the mid 2000's, I had found the perfect candidate for the ULTIMATE setup... the stock supercharger off the 2003 Mercedes C32 AMG.

What's so special about this specific unit you may ask? Well let me tell you! The old M62 blower is a roots type, which has a fixed displacement but no internal compression. This means that it creates a relatively large amount of boost at low rpms, but is inefficient and produces a ton of heat the faster you spin it... not good for top end/high boost output. Others (such as Travis Williams) have used a centrifugal type blower, which has internal compression but isn't fixed displacement. That means its very efficient and performs well up top/at high boost levels, but doesn't create much boost down low and acts similarly to a turbo. The Mercedes supercharger I'm using however, is a twin screw supercharger, which has fixed displacement AND internal compression. This means it produces tons of low end boost, and still remains efficient at the top end/high boost! Plus, it has an electronic clutch to turn it off and on!

Anyways, it's been sitting in my garage for like 7 years now just waiting to get used, and this weekend it finally dawned on me that I should mock this bitch up!

Like my previous setup, this will live in the stock A/C compressor location as well, so I started off with the A/C compressor bracket.

Got a piece of aluminum cut to act as the adapter

Cut the required holes to mount it to the A/C bracket and the supercharger

And mounted it as far forward as possible while still aligning with the crank pulley

And that's where we are for now. Still a number of steps to get it completed and then installed on the car:
            1) Fabricate rear mounting point template
            2) Take measurements from both mounting templates to fabricate final aluminum bracket
            3) Create intake/discharge adpaters
            4) Replace rear needle bearings on supercharger
            5) Cut off "intake runners" from supercharger
            6) Measure out and purchase correct length belth
            7) Install oil filter block-off plate and remote filter mount
            8) Most likely- modify front header to clear the supercharger
            9) Run piping
            10) Install bypass valve
            11) Install wastegate?

Anyways, yeah. Many more steps, but really shouldn't be way too difficult

Comment

• Wastegate ? What kind of output are you expecting ?
              1994 Project PGT

M62 In Progress...

Comment

• Haha yeah I figured someone paying attention might notice that. So IIRC when I did the calculations years ago this will be pushing 14psi with an under drive crank pulley, and I'll be running a stock pulley... so probably close to 18psi? I've long wondered about the idea of using a wastegate to bleed off some of the boost to effectively select a boost level. Never did much research on it, but something will have to be done to get it down.

The stock Mercedes makes 350hp with this supercharger in stock form... so I'm thinking somewhere around there.
                Last edited by proboner; October 21, 2017, 06:05 PM.

Comment

• The problem with using a wastegate on a SC is you are wasting energy to turn the SC to male less boost but still producing the same amount of heat, id look at a smaller still crank and larger SC pulley over a wastegate. Cant wait to see this running!!!
                  Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
                  Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
                  Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

• I think I'm fine with wasted energy and the need for extra cooling if it keeps me from demolishing the motor with 18+ lbs of boost! Can't go under drive crank because I'm using the 36-1 pulley for MS. May be able to use the E55 supercharger pulley, as it's larger in diameter, but I'd need to find a very specific bearing to allow it to fit on the C32 charger.

Comment

• I was totally expecting you to mount it as an intake manifold
                      PhotoPOC(tm)
                      MM9 MMX FF FF2 FF3 FF4 FF5
                      93' PGT not stock
                      91' PLX MTX stock

95' Jaguar XJR 155mph La-z-boy recliner

Comment

• Originally posted by j-dogg View Post
                        I was totally expecting you to mount it as an intake manifold
                        When I saw the first pic, that's exactly what I thought too
                        '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
                        '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

• haha yeah, those runners are for the stock application and would in no way work with the KL.

Comment

• Wanted to update to let everyone know this is still alive. The PGT was moved out to the driveway so work on other vehicles that had been waiting their turn, could take place. Mainly the RWD PGT got parted out due to lack of interest on my part and no one wanting to buy it as a project. E30 is getting new rear wheels bearings, motor mounts, shifter bushings, etc. Z4 got a new water pump, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses, and coolant expansion tank. Z4 also got some new 19's, which look pretty decent...

once the work is done on the other cars the PGT will make its way back into the garage to get some of the fine grained tuning taken care of and some details taken care of. Also, of course, the supercharger. Anyways. She'll be back soon.

Comment

• Which RWD PGT? Dan's or Matt's?
                              '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
                              '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

• Dan's original RWD.

Comment

Working...
                                X