No announcement yet.

Project Beautiful Beast work log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started this post and it was going to be super long, so I just decided to shorten it by hitting bullet points instead. Moved the black car back into the garage last weekend to start on the next phase of work.

Goals for this iteration:
    • Power- Dyno at over 200whp N/A on stock DE internals
    • Quickness- Run a 13 second 1/4 in N/A form
    • Reliability- Drive the ~120 miles to the drag strip
    • Fun- Attend at least 1 autox event and zoom around in the mountains

How I intend on getting there:
    • Tune accel enrichment and WOT with the exhaust cut out open
    • Install an idle air control valve
    • Fill ebrake and nitrous holes
    • Do finishing touches on exhaust (mainly just welding)
    • Finish fender flares on both sides (including cutting fenders)

Stretch goals:
    • Finish rough draft of supercharger setup
    • Get a proper performance oriented wheel/tire setup

I actually can already cross one of the stretch goals off this list, as by a twist of fate I found the EXACT setup I'd wanted for about the past year, on Facebook 45 miles from me for a price that was hard to beat. 17x8 Kosei K8R's (16lbs each) with Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R's in 245/40/17. They weigh in at a little under 38lbs as a package, which is 12lbs lighter than what I currently have, and a ton more grip. Have spacers coming in to fit them up with the fender flares. Also going to be painting them bronze.

She's quite nasty looking at the moment, but will be much prettier when I get the flares and spacers on and give her a good scrubbing.

I've also removed the nitrous system, which I'm going to sell. After realizing nitrous has become difficult to source and expensive ($100+ for 10lb bottle) around here, I've decided to move away from it. As a result I have holes from the blow down tube and main line to fill, along with the old ebrake hole. Welded those suckers up yesterday.

More to come.
    Beautiful Beast- 1997 PGT in process of becoming an SC/NA Beast...
    Elo- 1990 BMW 325i weekend car
    Brunhilde- 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 6-speed daily driver
    The Beast- Sleeping in the junkyard...

Comment

• Looking good! Keep up the good work! Whats your plans for the supercharger setup?
      Supercharged - 94' PGT: ZE, MS2, W/M Injection, weight reduced, manual steering because weekend race car! mods and pics thread
      Turbocharged - 06' WRX: 3" exh, ECUTEK ROM, MRT intercooler, VF34 pic
      Nitrous Oxide - 79' Yamaha QT50 'Yamahopper' 70cc, MLM pipe, VM18 carb, dual stage reeds etc. pic

Comment

• I wrote about it in post #170. Lost motivation with other things going on, but hoping to get back into it. Ended up taking the SC apart and ordering new rear bearings for it. Need to get them on and put it back together. Then it's just the simple task of fabricating a mount, intake "manifold", discharge "manifold", modifying the front header, fabricating intake piping, finding a correctly sized belt, buying/fitting a bypass valve, and tuning. I have a 3d printer coming here in a couple weeks so I'll probably try to make some prototypes for some of this stuff out of ABS.

Comment

• Keep plugging away, you'll get there.

I really need to make a thread about my build/progress
          '94 Red PGT Gone, but Project PGT has begun
          '04 Black SRT-4 Um, no it's not stock. But "It's just a Neon, right?" 379whp @ 20lbs *Sold*

Comment

• Little more progress update. Ended up having to get some pretty big spacers to get these wheels to fit right, but the drivers side is basically situated.

I have the missing fender cap but it needs to be painted first. The wheels are also likely going to get painted bronze.

Planned next steps:
            • Extended shift knob (purcahsed and installed, pictures pending)
            • New TB and IM gaskets (purhcased, received TB gasket and installed)
            • 3D print (printer coming today!) spacers for door panel screws
            • 3D print clip for drivers door handle rod
            • Pull e30 IAC from JY to set idle
            • Purchase new Supra 550cc injectors/pigtails to replace current old/used injectors (Likely purchasing this week)
            • Install passenger side fender flares (purchased, in transit)
            • Paint and install fender cap
            • Paint CF hood
            • Smooth and paint fender flares
            • Smooth and paint rear bumper
            • Install Mach 1 lip?

Once the tuning pieces are done it's dyno time! I recently found a dyno much closer to my house, so that will be motivational in getting it done.

Comment

• In the pic the wheels and tires look photoshop maybe its my eyesight getting old lol

Comment

• Little bit of headway made this weekend. Received TB and IM gaskets and installed them to get the idle down. There were leaks in there previously and it would idle around 1500 even with the throttle plate completely closed. Next is to pull an IAC (most likely off an e30) at the JY and set up a decent idle speed for warmup.

Continued working on the exhaust as well, as there is a leak somewhere allowing exhaust to get in the cabin. It's driving me a little crazy honestly. I've plugged every hole I can fathom, and searched the system for leaks but haven't found anything obvious. Plan on taking out the dash this weekend to wire up the IAC, and while I'm in there I'm going to plug all the holes in the firewall as well and see if this doesn't fix the issue.

Decided I might as well install the Mach 1 lip I'd had sitting in the garage for months. Not quite 100% of the install yet, so it remains to be trimmed. Also painted and installed the drivers fender cap.

Also got my 3D printer, Prusa i3 Mk3, so that should be fun!

Flares for the passenger side are scheduled to arrive Thursday. Probably be dyno-ready within the next couple weeks.

Comment

• my daughter say this pic looks like a tiny tug boat lol

actually it does the hole in the front is where the anchor goes

Comment

• haha it totally is a tiny tugboat!

Comment

• I agree that you shouldn't bother with the SC...too much work.

Which is why I'll probably be looking to buy it off you September-October...ish for the Ghettocet if I make my weight goal N/A.

Welcome to the 3D print world...you'll love being able to make stuff.
                      90 Mazda 323 - KLZE, fender-flared, right hand drive, 2350 lb fully loaded sex machine. || Pic Thread ||- SOLD
                      93 PGT FRANKENPROBE - 10.24 @ 139.9 mph ||545 whp @ 20 psi || Timeslip || Dyno slip|| Build Thread - GONE
                      97 GTS - Rear Wheel Drive KLZE, 6-speed, 3.90 Torsen LSD, 2650 lb, daily driver! - Build Thread - GONE
                      90 Ghettocet KLiata - forever WIP

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan [Sac] View Post
                        I agree that you shouldn't bother with the SC...too much work.

Which is why I'll probably be looking to buy it off you September-October...ish for the Ghettocet if I make my weight goal N/A.

Welcome to the 3D print world...you'll love being able to make stuff.
                        I mean, I may as well finish the kit and then just sell it to you in the part out... less work for you! I'll try to get it done by the September/October deadline

Couple updates because I'm bored and why not

Printed my first custom piece last week, which fit perfectly and was very gratifying

Looking around for other small projects, I realized I needed something to hold the sun visors in place now that the dome light is gone, so I came up with a quick solution

Passenger side fender flares arrived, so I got those mocked up

And did a test paint on the drivers side wheels to see how they'd look in bronze... I'll have better pics later on but here's a rough idea

Flares have since been painted black
                        Black fasteners for the flares are on the way
                        Injectors are on the way
                        Seriously considering buying Kumho Ecsta V720s in 245/40/17 as they're on sale for $90 a piece along with a $75 gift card on tirerack!

Comment

• Originally posted by proboner View Post
                          Seriously considering buying Kumho Ecsta V720s in 245/40/17 as they're on sale for $90 a piece along with a $75 gift card on tirerack!
                          Food for thought, they're know for their delamination under extreme heat and they are not flippable. For a street car should be fine, but if the car will see track or autocross use, it might be a downfall. Hard to knock the price though.
                          1992 Probe LX_Rust in Peace
                          1989 Probe GT_Weekend Warrior
                          2002 Focus SVT_Powerworks Supercharged_Gone
                          2014 Fiesta ST_Lemon
                          2017 BRZ Premium_Daily

Comment

• Originally posted by plx92 View Post
                            Food for thought, they're know for their delamination under extreme heat and they are not flippable. For a street car should be fine, but if the car will see track or autocross use, it might be a downfall. Hard to knock the price though.
                            The price is just impossible to beat. If I get legit competitive (which lets be real, this thing is surely in some outlandish class by now) then perhaps I'll care more, but considering the car weighs in the low 2200's and I'm looking at 245 width, I imagine too cold is a more likely scenario than too hot.

On to some more updates...

New injectors and pigtails came and I got them installed. This was really more of a maintenance thing that I was *hoping* would show some sort of performance gain due to better spray pattern and accurate flow rates... doubt that ended up being the case. Also liked that it came with new pigtails, as the old ones were just shot.

Painted the passenger side fender flares and installed new black cap head screws all around. Took her out for a little tuning spin and took some pictures on my way back in. I gotta say, if you squint and imagine her cleaned up, she looks pretty good!

Bronze wheels and black fender flare bolts

Lip installed (passenger headlight cover got leaned on, which is why its a bit off kilter)

Backend with bronze wheels

Passenger side with flares painted and installed with black fasteners, wheel spacers in place, but rims still in their stock color. Think I'm gonna have to move them over to bronze as well.

Comment

• Looking good !
                              Mazda Mx3- Panther black, Kosei 18", custom hood, cleaned, new pakfeifer front, customized pakfeifer rear

KLZE highcompression, Pippercros Viper intake, kl31cams, MS1 v3, Aasco fly, CM st3 clutch, cai, ss headers, ground wirekit, srd bushings, msd window switches, nitrous

Comment

• looks nice with the fender flare.

Comment

Working...
                                X