This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mmganga
    Hey guys has anybody had the problem of their HEI module going bad???

Exactly 1 year ago my faithful MSD external ignition box decided to quit after 3 years of service, so I used the HEI module which I put together with great success until recently...

Now the car sometimes idles slightly rough, well not a lot, but it's concerning me...basically it will idle at 700 RPM after being warmed up and/or driving a bit but it struggles and slightly misfires at stop signs and so on...I'm worried that it will leave me in the middle of the street!!!

Anybody who had this experience? Do these HEIs go bad and what are the symptoms?

THANKS!!!
    Heat is the #1 killer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Bialy
      Sure, an IGBT is at the heart of most ignitions. Look at the STI #VB921ZVFI.
      Look BU941ZP transistor - working 2 years

Comment

• I just wanted to add a link to a modified version of this mod. I changed it around so that you don't have to cut the factory wiring harness!

http://www.mazda626.net/index.php?ac...=0#entry143397
        '96 MX-6 LS V6 M/T KL-ZE / '93 MX-6 LS V6 A/T [R.I.P.]
        '93 MX-6 LS V6 M/T KL-ZE [R.I.P.] / '94 Mazda 626 LS V6 M/T [R.I.P.]
        http://www.cardomain.com/id/snailman153624

MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS NOT WORKING!

Comment

• Well I just did this cuz my car crapped out on me. I dont know if this has been mentioned before. But I used the old mount for my stock air box as a mounting point. It holds very secure and grounds perfectly.

Comment

• Got it working!!!

I finally got this mod working on a 2.0L 93 Mazda 626 (should apply to you Probe guys too). I ended up having to use a simple 12v 30amp relay to supply power to the HEI and coil. No more hot HEI. I've been driving it for three weeks now with no stalling or sputtering. I'll try to post a scematic later for adding the relay to this mod. I had a hunch that the stock wiring was too small of a guage of wire to pull the kind of current the HEI needed to operate properly. Like I said it works beautifully now. THANKS for everyone's help.

Comment

• Originally posted by matt93gt
              Anyone got a solid answer on the tach thing? No tach with this? can it be made to work etc
              The tach worked perfectly fine when I originally did this. Comparing the many diagrams that show this mod against the original Probe wiring diagrams makes this pretty obvious.

Comment

• the GM HEI module will not work for all Probes. it does not fix a problem with a bad crankshaft position sensor or a bad CID sensor (electronics for the sensors are embedded in the distributor stator module). some Probes (93, maybe 94) use a distributor mounted stator module that contains the ICM and two hall effect switches that send input signals for fuel injection timing and ignition timing. the hall effect switches are the electronic components of the two sensors. the ICM is the transistor that fires the coil. all three components are embedded in the stator module on some Probes..... with a good schematic you might be able to bypass the transistor that fires the coil by tapping into the correct wires and so use the GM HEI unit.
                Last edited by neilh2o; May 16, 2005, 01:37 AM.

Comment

• I have been having the same overheating problem with my GM HEI as did gcloer..only I have a '96 V6 with a '93 disty (for megasquirt). I've already gone through one module while on the interstate, and I definately don't want this to happen again, haha. I've got everything hooked up correctly (the car runs fine), but the module is just getting way too hot...blistering hot, even with a rather large heatsink. I started the car up a couple days ago after remounting the module in a different spot to see if that would help...after MAYBE a minute of running, the thing was still outrageously hot. The first module made it maybe 5 hours total running time before it bit the dust. What kind of voltage should I be reading at the each of the terminals on the module....anyone have these numbers? My father and I are both stumped on this one.

Comment

• It's possible your ignition coil is faulty and has too low of a resistance, inducing a large current load from the module.
                    '96 MX-6 LS V6 M/T KL-ZE / '93 MX-6 LS V6 A/T [R.I.P.]
                    '93 MX-6 LS V6 M/T KL-ZE [R.I.P.] / '94 Mazda 626 LS V6 M/T [R.I.P.]
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/snailman153624

MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS NOT WORKING!

Comment

• Stock ('93) coil is fine...0.9ohms primary and 16.37Kohms secondary. One thing I DID check is the resistance of my '96 disty and it is good as well...however the secondary resistance here (power-to-high tension tower) is rated at 20-31Kohms which is higher than the 93's resistance. Could the resistance have anything to do with the amount of power that goes into the coil, and possibly the '93 coil is seeing too much juice therefore causing the HEI module to overheat???

Comment

• Turns out it COULD be something with the Megasquirt's dwell settings...I just got the latest version from RyanPzz that has a dwell setting for "minimal for HEI4." So, we'll see what happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by olson2cm
                          Can anyone with some experience with coils tell me if the following coil at summit would be good with the HEI:
                          SUM-G5217

Also, if there's a similar suitable coil that can be picked up at a local shop such as autozone or advance auto and you know the part number, please post that as well. I just installed the HEI this past weekend, but it appears my problem lies with the coil

Thanks
                          Looks like an alright coil, it should work well for you, and it's fairly inexpensive. It seems to be similar (not exactly but the closest I could find) to the accel superstocks. Ive owned accel coils before and theyve always lasted and performed well, as for the probe I have a blaster ss and am very happy with it.
                          93 gt
                          95 tbird sc
                          2010 focus ses

Comment

• My accel module started to act up a while ago, so I just went and grabbed another one from discount $14 ouch..... anyways when I pulled it off the terminals were kinda cruddy ...... So I changed the ends on the wire to the covered female type and used some dielectric grease to keep out the water and air ..... so far so good ..... dielectric grease wont conduct electricity so you have to make sure the terminals and connnectors touch.
                            93 gt
                            95 tbird sc
                            2010 focus ses

Comment

• I was also havcing problems. My tach would jump around, then the car would just start stuttering, and then evenutally dying on me.

Turns out where i had it grounded had Rusted like crazy, so I used some dieelectric silicon and it is perfect as of now.

Comment

• there are two Ford tsbs regarding ignition problems on Probes..Bulletin number 0017-1 ...regarding 93 Probe 2.0 auto. only...defective distributor stator assembly (contains an embedded ICM) should be replaced with a new revised stator assy.... part number is F32Z-12A112-AA...Ford does not carry this part anymore but Mazda has the new part in their rebuilt distributors...Bulletin number 98-7-1....regarding 93 and 94 Probe w/2.5 motor...defective distributor stator assy. AND the integral ignition coil..both coil and stator assy. should be replaced with newer revised parts..the $20 mod will fix any bad 93, 94 ICM on the 2.0 or the 2.5 motor ... the coil on 93, 94 Probe with the 2.5 should be replaced also.... install an external coil or a newer revised integral one: part number is F32Z-12029-AA
                                Last edited by neilh2o; December 30, 2005, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X